Detailing World Forum banner

PLAYERS RS4 AKA "Kermit" Visits Orchard Autocare for some TLC

34K views 65 replies 48 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 · (Edited)
Fancy winning a bottle of Glitz Tyre Dressing, leave a comment and we will pick a winner in a few weeks!!

Well here it is 2014 another year jam packed full of detailing. This year OCD-ni is going back to its roots detailing for the total enjoyment of it, we are hand picking the cars we want to work on, not just the big fancy cars but we will be detailing for enthusiasts and people who love their cars or cars that will test our skill to the maximum, back to basics!!! and I hope this write up will set the scene for this year.
First up is a car that needs absolutely NO introduction if you are an anyway into the modified car scene and the VW world, its Carl Taylor's Ex-Players and Rotiform worldwide globetrotting RS4. The car was originally built several years ago and many people may remember it being Orange until a mad notion was taken one night to paint it Porsche GT3 Signal Green. The car came to us via its new owner but in need of a lot of gentle care and attention. Overall the car was sell maintained considering the life its led with very few chips and rash and only had 2 small strike through marks and some bad blending from a recent repair prior to its sale.

The object of this detail was to make it as good as it possibly could be removing as many defects and restoring the lustre of the paint that it has lost quite a bit of. First off it was a wheels off Decontamination wash using all of Orchard Autocare's product range as follows.
• Iron Cleanse Concentrate for all surfaces.
• Tar Cleanse.
• Citrus Preclean and Cotton Candy for wash and pre wash duties.
• Bramley Bubble Bath for Shampoo.
• Wheel Cleanse for wheel and wheel arch cleaning and degreasing as well as engine bay cleaning.
Here are a few pics:

Once the wheels were cleaned they were sealed with several coats of Speed Seal and the tyres were dressed with Orchard Autocare Glitz tyre dressing.

Once the wheels were cleaned they were sealed with several coats of Speed Seal and the tyres were dressed with Orchard Autocare Glitz tyre dressing.

Once dried we could see the defects clearly:

And so began the long process of cutting and refining bringing back the depth of shine and as we progressed the colour changed from a light green to a lovely rich deep green.

Buffer trails evident from previous work also a small strikethrough was found on the edge of the panel but we sorted that no problem. As usual we are left to fix other people's oopsie daisies lol!!

Here where the arrow is pointing you can see a tape line where a recent repair was carried out further up the rear pillar was a fading blend line these areas were reduced as much as possible but these areas you have to be very careful not to compromise the new paint edge.

For me the biggest let down of this car and what became one of the most time consuming jobs was the carbon fibre trim. This was the genuine parts skinned in Carbon fibre. The finish was very pitted and hazy, so the decision was taken to flat sand it back and bring it up to its original lustre. This was very time consuming as we could not get any accurate coating levels so it was pretty much sand refine, check and repeat until happy in total I think I spent about 8 hours on each roof bar!!!In the end the results were amazing and really brought out the true colour of the weave.

Once the correction and refining was taken care of Kermit was tehn Given a cleanseing stage using Orchard Autocare Luminos, this is in replacement of any alchol based panel wipe that has now become common practise in Detailing. Personally I hate the stuff. It softens paint can cause rubbers and bonding glue to melt if not removed and can cause endless swiping issues, Plus it does not remove everything. Another Detailing old wives' tale!! Luminos was developed to replace this but totally cleansing the panel of polishing oils fillers any residue whatsoever even buffer trails and holograms.
Kermit was then brought out and given a thorough wash down to get rid of dust and the odd bit of fling that I'm famous for!!! As you can see Glitz held up really well to a good foaming and powerwashing and so did the Wheels some insane beading…

Once dry, Kermis was treated to several coats of Speed Seal the first coat applied by machine and the next 2 coats by hand. Once cured a single coat of Valentine's Elegance Wax was applied to leave the finish dripping wet and final coating was Perfection. Now for the afters, I hope you like them as I did a sort of mini shoot for a bit of fun.

Many thanks for taking time to read my write up and I hope you liked it as usual any comments are very welcome and I would love to hear what you think.

Many thanks
Rollo

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Many thanks TBh its I just want to go back to detailing and enjoying it with Orchard taking up so much time I am cutting back the detailing work so want to get away from what I call the trade details that you see everyone else doing there are so many people at it now cash in hand I am just not going to try and compete so I want to do more restoration details and challenging work not just simple buff them and knock them out and onto the next one. Want to build relationships with customers I have gotten to the stage I forget about some cars I have detailed and have been told on occasion that yes I did that car lol! I enjoy it too much I suppose...

Its all part of our new strategy esp with the new building we want people to come over hang out have a beer buy some products and enjoy detailing rather than the scene points image it sometimes gets. People take it and life too seriously lets enjoy it!

Reactions: bauderline
#6 ·
Would definitely agree there, it is a marmite car, not what I would do if it was mine but that's what makes modified cars fun. But I have to admit it works.

Reactions: organisys
#11 ·
Cheers Bob, Too right was getting my pan knocked in trying to compete with the non legit boys so thought stuff it go back to what I enjoy. Nothing more satisfying I have a 2002 Mondeo in today that's been keyed all over and am looking forward to doing it that's for sure.

#13 ·
Looks great. I really do like the sound of luminos.

You tried a ceramic coating on top of it?
Yep Testing with Gtechniq and 22ple got some modesta in for testing so will also be trying it with whats left.. and no issues durability wise, the panel is literally left squeaky clean!

#17 ·
Yea great for advertising love it or hate it, the car gets everyone talking that's for sure. There was this and a few other cars that we detailed, were the most photographed and talked about cars at Dubshed, people love a controversial car that's for sure!!

#22 ·
Stunning work.

Rollo stunning, absolutely stunning but to be honest that's what I and I'm sure everyone else that knows you expects----your own fault entirely for doing such great work. Lol. ,,,Will be up in next couple of days to discuss next car and see about some more products. Doc:detailer:

#25 ·
Rollo stunning, absolutely stunning but to be honest that's what I and I'm sure everyone else that knows you expects----your own fault entirely for doing such great work. Lol. ,,,Will be up in next couple of days to discuss next car and see about some more products. Doc:detailer:
Many thanks George! Will be good to catch up again see you soon!

The car is definitely different, but a fantastic job on the paint and carbon fibre restoration, the car looks absolutely flawless. This type of car is all about the finish and small details and you've nailed it !.

BR Peter.
Many thanks Peter!

Fair play to u Ronnie
Cheers Luke Many thanks.

#45 ·
Looks stunning, such a stand out colour too!

Lovely to see the process! :thumb:

Chris
Cheers Chris. The colour is hard to miss for sure lol!!

Awesome job on that. You'd have to have some balls to have that number plate though!
Many thanks. Yea its is perfect for the car but.

As I said in a previous thread I have seen this car in my local town and the pictures don't do it justice
Many thanks much appreciated.

As always lovely work on this big monster. The attention to detail is great and is certainly what will attract new customers.
Many thanks Lloyd. much appreciated! have you gout your green goddess out of hibernation yet?

Great job!
Many thanks Dan

The reflection in some of those shots is great :)

Never thought a green car would shine like that, top stuff!
Cheers Many thanks. Was a lot of hours in it for sure.

OMG that snow foam is epic!!!!!!!!
It is indeed get some from our site

www.orchard-autocare.com

It is funny how a colour known for one car or manufacturer can make such an impact when on another marque.
Loving the work. Good to hear you are choosing your work ethic, and not going through the motions. Refreshing change..

One more thing.
In this day where metallics seem to be king, it always makes me smile to see a pure colour look like glass. No flake, no candy, no nonsense.. Just good honest results from hard graft.
Many thanks for your kind words. Going through the motions detailers are 10 a penny here want to really put us on the map with unrivalled results and most of all enjoying what we are doing. Agreed it was really nice to see how far we could take a solid colour and I think we pretty much nailed it.

Think I'll have to try that snowfoam when mine has run out. Good price for 5L.
Cheers Amos. It is indeed get some from our site

www.orchard-autocare.com

Wondered why it was known as Kermit until I saw the colour, not one I would choose but works well. Great results looks excellent.
Lol. It is a marmite car for sure!!

Fantastic work!,Kermit looks really good,tyre dressing also,just the right gloss,tyres look stunning.
Many thanks. With regards to the tyre dressing. it took a long time to perfect it and I think it looks better than any other. Becoming one of our best sellers that's for sure. Even John Deere use it for its show stands!!

mind blowing work as usual Ronnie

Cant get enough of Speed Seal and perfection at the minute
Cheers Sir. Many thanks! Me perfect combo nothing can touch it that's for sure!!

Great work:thumb:
Cheers Tonyy

Great work and lovely finish. Really like the colour, something different makes a nice change. Hopefully will see this at some car shows this year.

Oh, and I like the number plate :lol:
Many thanks Jack.

Color of this car after work is immense! Would like to try Luminos and others sample size but I have to wait longer I think..

Top work!
Give me a should and I will get u hooked up with some.

Great turn around. Love the green!
Many thanks.

Amazing stuff :thumb: I really like your approach to it.

I've always been a fan of the car. It looks miles better without the pink wheels though.
Agreed pink wheels were a bit of a step too far Yellow looked amazing though..

#35 ·
It is funny how a colour known for one car or manufacturer can make such an impact when on another marque.
Loving the work. Good to hear you are choosing your work ethic, and not going through the motions. Refreshing change..

One more thing.
In this day where metallics seem to be king, it always makes me smile to see a pure colour look like glass. No flake, no candy, no nonsense.. Just good honest results from hard graft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.