Detailing World Forum banner

PLAYERS RS4 AKA "Kermit" Visits Orchard Autocare for some TLC

34K views 65 replies 48 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 · (Edited)
Fancy winning a bottle of Glitz Tyre Dressing, leave a comment and we will pick a winner in a few weeks!!

Well here it is 2014 another year jam packed full of detailing. This year OCD-ni is going back to its roots detailing for the total enjoyment of it, we are hand picking the cars we want to work on, not just the big fancy cars but we will be detailing for enthusiasts and people who love their cars or cars that will test our skill to the maximum, back to basics!!! and I hope this write up will set the scene for this year.
First up is a car that needs absolutely NO introduction if you are an anyway into the modified car scene and the VW world, its Carl Taylor's Ex-Players and Rotiform worldwide globetrotting RS4. The car was originally built several years ago and many people may remember it being Orange until a mad notion was taken one night to paint it Porsche GT3 Signal Green. The car came to us via its new owner but in need of a lot of gentle care and attention. Overall the car was sell maintained considering the life its led with very few chips and rash and only had 2 small strike through marks and some bad blending from a recent repair prior to its sale.

The object of this detail was to make it as good as it possibly could be removing as many defects and restoring the lustre of the paint that it has lost quite a bit of. First off it was a wheels off Decontamination wash using all of Orchard Autocare's product range as follows.
• Iron Cleanse Concentrate for all surfaces.
• Tar Cleanse.
• Citrus Preclean and Cotton Candy for wash and pre wash duties.
• Bramley Bubble Bath for Shampoo.
• Wheel Cleanse for wheel and wheel arch cleaning and degreasing as well as engine bay cleaning.
Here are a few pics:

Once the wheels were cleaned they were sealed with several coats of Speed Seal and the tyres were dressed with Orchard Autocare Glitz tyre dressing.

Once the wheels were cleaned they were sealed with several coats of Speed Seal and the tyres were dressed with Orchard Autocare Glitz tyre dressing.

Once dried we could see the defects clearly:

And so began the long process of cutting and refining bringing back the depth of shine and as we progressed the colour changed from a light green to a lovely rich deep green.

Buffer trails evident from previous work also a small strikethrough was found on the edge of the panel but we sorted that no problem. As usual we are left to fix other people's oopsie daisies lol!!

Here where the arrow is pointing you can see a tape line where a recent repair was carried out further up the rear pillar was a fading blend line these areas were reduced as much as possible but these areas you have to be very careful not to compromise the new paint edge.

For me the biggest let down of this car and what became one of the most time consuming jobs was the carbon fibre trim. This was the genuine parts skinned in Carbon fibre. The finish was very pitted and hazy, so the decision was taken to flat sand it back and bring it up to its original lustre. This was very time consuming as we could not get any accurate coating levels so it was pretty much sand refine, check and repeat until happy in total I think I spent about 8 hours on each roof bar!!!In the end the results were amazing and really brought out the true colour of the weave.

Once the correction and refining was taken care of Kermit was tehn Given a cleanseing stage using Orchard Autocare Luminos, this is in replacement of any alchol based panel wipe that has now become common practise in Detailing. Personally I hate the stuff. It softens paint can cause rubbers and bonding glue to melt if not removed and can cause endless swiping issues, Plus it does not remove everything. Another Detailing old wives' tale!! Luminos was developed to replace this but totally cleansing the panel of polishing oils fillers any residue whatsoever even buffer trails and holograms.
Kermit was then brought out and given a thorough wash down to get rid of dust and the odd bit of fling that I'm famous for!!! As you can see Glitz held up really well to a good foaming and powerwashing and so did the Wheels some insane beading…

Once dry, Kermis was treated to several coats of Speed Seal the first coat applied by machine and the next 2 coats by hand. Once cured a single coat of Valentine's Elegance Wax was applied to leave the finish dripping wet and final coating was Perfection. Now for the afters, I hope you like them as I did a sort of mini shoot for a bit of fun.

Many thanks for taking time to read my write up and I hope you liked it as usual any comments are very welcome and I would love to hear what you think.

Many thanks
Rollo

See less See more
#49 ·
Many thanks Glad you liked the write up!

Simply amazing work, and such a lot of time and depth of detail keep up the good work. And what a great car and that green is awsome .
cheers Rich
Cheers Rich. many thanks!

What a great read! Love the car, colour, and registration plate :lol:

The finished detail is simply stunning and I bet it looks even better when you're stood next to it :thumb:

Great pictures too, cheers for taking the time to post your hard work.
Many thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed the write up will have more very soon.

#57 ·
Many thanks engine came up a treat for sure.

Great job looks stunning
Cheers

That's perfection excellent work on the correction :argie:
Many thanks Trip.

The apple of the owners' eye. Awesome car and work mate.
Many thanks.

Ronnie - I love that you're stepping back, taking stock and doing what you enjoy. That way you'll be producing unrivalled results - it's the guys with the conveyor belts who forget not only the detail in every sense, but the people on the receiving end.

Having ethics and principles will be what makes you and your business a success, and will make people keep coming back to you.

Good luck buddy.

Now where's that bottle of Glitz..... :p

Still never managed to get over - heading off for the weekend so will pop over next week for a chat and some Snow Foam. I'm running low and the panic is setting in. I didn't know you made it with low level opiates!!!!

Cooks

PS - the car looks amazing - it's starting to grow on me now lol...
Many thanks Your bottle is sitting here! Call any time sure you know we are always open!

Carl Taylor all over , the guys a legend and just turns out crazy rides for fun , wicked car and wicked job :thumb:
Many thanks,

Great work man!

Love this car! Funny thing, if you strike through you should see orange, right? :p
Cheers Yep all the chips were Orange TBh it was a far better paint job in Orange the Green was a bit rushed to be honest and it shows.

#64 ·
Many thanks.

Fantastic and detailed work :)

Amazing how different that colour looks under different light/angles.
Cheers for a solid colour once detailed, it came alive was a bit dead before if I am truthful.

amazing turn around really good work I bet the customer was thrilled with the end results
Many thanks. He was, she has already started to pick up more trophies, A Car of show for her first outing!

#65 ·
Not a colour to my taste as many have said before me but as a quality of turnaround that is Fab. By the number plate in pic 7 clearly the owner is aware of its impact too and has a sense of irony.
The car looks lower in the final picks too, can it be raised and lowered?
8 hours on a roof bar - now that's OCD :-0

#66 ·
Many thanks. Yes the carbon really let the finish down and as you cant get an accurate reading it was flatten a little buff back and check then a but more and so on until it reached a level that was acceptable. It was worth the effort though! Yep the plate was with the car and suits it perfectly that's for sure. The car is running air ride suspension and can be lowered until the sills touch the ground now great for cleaning wheel arches as well!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.