Detailing World Forum banner

Orchard Autocare: BMW Z4 on Hydraulics Cleanfest winning car. Win a bottle of Luminos

28K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 ·
Add a comment below and be in with a chance of winning a bottle of Luminos Paint Cleanser.

Hello and thanks for reading a long overdue write up. Things have been pretty mental at Orchard Autocare recently and this is one detail that will probably split opinion as to why or wow. The car is not really the subject but what can be done in a very limited time frame . The car in question is a certain very well-known BMW Z4 owned by Niall O'Dowd. He's a good friend and general modified car nutter and general wizard of laying frame.

The car arrived in time for its Debuet at Dubshed and photoshoot for this months Fast Car Magazing and as usual it was the day before the show so time was very tight and it was more of a case of get it done. Niall is more for driving the car and is known to frequent the local Polish car wash so full correction is never an option as it would be a waste of his money and leave nothing for us to work on eventually lol! So it was a good case of hit it moderately then refine the life out of it and make it sparkle! The Engine bay has seen a lot of work to get the suspension sorted so it would need a lot of work as would the interior and the outside well it was swirl heaven that's for sure so it was going to be a long all nighter cue the double espresso and a bit of happy happy hard core and old skool house to keep us going!!

We started by decontaminating the entire body and engine bay to remove all the Iron Fall out from cutting and welding and also general road fallout. As you can see there was a fair bit going on!! The Car was then washed and also Cleansed with Tar Cleanse to rid all of the tar and bonded contamination.

Once Washed the car was brought in and given a going over with Luminos by DA and a White Chemical Guys pad to clean all left over contamination and remove all existing coatings that had been applied. Revealing the full extent of what we had to work with. For this I used Meguiars 105 on a White CG pad to get rid of the harsh RDS then refined with 205 and a yellow 3M pad to give a bit more cut and also give a very sharp finish. Again a quick going over with Luminos to ensure all was good and after about 10 hours machining all was done.

For Protection we started with a coat of Orchard Autocare Trinity All in One to lay a great foundation and also give a pin sharp base to work with. Once this was applied and removed, we left it to fully cure for an hour whilst we tended to the interior and Engine bay to bring it up to show standard. Finally With a few hours left knowing Niall is all about the wheels I decided to also paint the calipers and hubs to make it look respectable noting fancy just factory fresh…

Once everything else was done it was a case of a few coats of Speed Seal and Perfection and that was her. The wheels and tyres were not finished as these were just to get her to my place as the others were being finished but they also got a quick going over. Then as a finish, a few weeks ago the car came back with literally 5 hours to get an interior and exterior tidy before heading to Cleanfest in Fife Again the car was simply treated to a coat of Trinity applied via DA and a coat of Perfection. Wheels were sealed with Speed Seal and again interior and Engine bay tidy. It went on to Win Car of the Show even with some stiff competition. Many thanks to Phokus Photography for letting me use his pictures.

Many thanks for taking time to read the write up and I hope you enjoy the pictures. As always its great to get feedback so all C&C are very welcome.

Many thanks
Rollo

See less See more
#2 ·
This is one Beautiful Machine & the detail just makes and gives it that extra it is needing from the first picture. Fantastic Write up aswell nice to see products / Combos.
I am actually due a full correction on my insignia Sports tourer & looking into a paint cleaner to examine the paint before my detail so would love to try Luminos.

PS I love the BBS Splits & Air Ride!

#3 ·
many thanks. Luminos is perfect as it can be used prior to correction and again after to leave the paint literally squeaky clean!

Wheels are possibly for sale if anyone is interested!

#19 ·
Great job on the detailing looks great

Now

I'm not a fan of Harley's nasty tractor like bikes, but I've always admired the work out into them by company's such as Orange County choppers, this is a harley it's not my cup of tea but I respect the effort that someone has gone too to do this

:driver:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.