Detailing World Forum banner

Restoring subframe/Suspension components, bilthamber

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Qasim 
#1 ·
He all

I am in the process of removing some worn out suspensions components from my car, replacing the bushes , treating the surface rust , and then applying some satin black paint to freshen it up.

I have been looking at bilthamber for some products I can use, can anybody recommend any products they have used in the past doesnt have ot be from the site above.

I know I will need to do the following

1 - De-grease - Surfex
2- Treat the rust - Deox C Gel / Sand/Wirewheel
3- Primer , electrox or Etchweld primer not sure which one
4- some top coat satin paint for that oem look. VHT / Hammerite

If anyone could recommend steps they've taken /products used that would be great!

#2 ·
Primer wise I think as you say maybe an etch primer, or even something like ZG90 Galvanising spray which can be used as a primer.

Once you've finished and it's assembled, I've give the whole thing a dusting over with Dynax UC as that'll protect your fasteners and new finish against stone chips, salt etc.

#6 ·
Would I need to use hydrate 80 if so what stage, I've just bought a sander which takes a 50mm disc's wondering if there are any types of disc's that take off paint

I've got a wire wheel attachment on my grinder which should do the job also!

#10 · (Edited)
Hello All

I thought I would share some progress

what are your thoughts its ready for paint

My first time painting , am thinking elctrox on the bare metal followed by a top coat of either POR-15 , Frost chassis black, Eastwood chassis black? would I need coats of anything else?

Would you guys have any other recommendations on products or application?

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.