Detailing World Forum banner

My car of the day, ABT tuned Golf R.

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  piston_warrior 
#1 ·
ABT have got hold of a Golf R before the next generation Golf R goes hybrid and they have turned up the wick. The current Golf R had to have it's power reduced so the engine can meet tough new WLTP regulations. But that hasn't stopped ABT coming up with a solution which is a new software up grade which builds on the cars standard 296 BHP to 345 BHP and 30 LB more of torque. ABT have added a variety of suspension upgrades with lowering springs, uprated dampers and a new anti roll bar to help stiffen the suspension. New 18 and 20 inch wheels are on offer and a new black quad exhaust system. All these simple changes will add an extra sharpness and aggression to the upper reaches of the R's capability.

Like it?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Car

Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Sky

See less See more
#7 ·
I've looked at buying a Golf R several times as it suits what I wanted for a daily driver but they are just the most boring looking car out there, some how the R looks worse than the standard golf and I can't say the ABT kit improves it much, just no style about it at all, got a proven engine though and you can get a relatively cheap 400-500 BHP easily,

#9 ·
On paper the Golf R is very appealing and I've always looked at the fast golfs over the years but somehow I always leave disappointed, when I see and drive them they just don't add up to a desireable car for me due to a number of reasons. Its quite frustrating really.

They aren't alone in this, but it and all the hot hatch stuff is too restrained looks wise. Back in the good old days when you saw a XR/Cosworth/GTE/Gsi etc you knew instantly exactly what it was. Now you have to look for small details, a small bit of trim, a different exhaust tail, a slightly different wheel design.
They don't have to look like something from fast & furious, we have the Civic TypeR for that, but somewhere in the middle.

Its a shame really, when you consider we're in the twlight on performance / hot hatch cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.