Detailing World Forum banner

Screenwash

20K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  Rakti 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has a screen wash they prefer?I know Autoglym do one, is it worth paying extra compared to a cheap ready mixed one or a Halfords one?

#2 ·
VW Screenwash

You definitely get what you pay for with screen wash.

Personally I do feel it is worth paying extra for a good screen wash. Its a safety issue and its in winter with low temperatures that a good one comes into its own, especially when driving at motorway speeds, as there is nothing worse when it freezes in the jets or once its sprayed onto the glass.

I buy the VW branded screen wash in bulk from the dealer. It is made by Wurth. You can get up to 10% discount from the parts dept when buying a box of 10 one litre bottles of neat screen wash.

At the moment, Tesco are doing the green coloured Prestone screen wash for summer use, ready mixed, I believe. Its great for summer use to quickly remove bug debris from the windscreen.

#6 ·
As above not something to skimp on, especially as car enthusiasts.

AG and Prestone both excellent, I have also acquired the little barrel of Porsche screenwash in the past which was brilliant for smear free winter wiping - typically Porsche added tax on the price though:rolleyes:

cheers,

Chris

#9 ·
I’m using Prestone at the moment, can’t put my finger on it but there is something about it I’m not keen on. It might be the smell (it doesn’t smell nice) or the colour of it (petty I know, but it’s yellow so looks like p***). Not doubting it’s cleaning ability but I probably won’t buy it again.

I really like the Autoglym stuff and would highly recommend it.

Always up for trying something different though. Fancied trying the rain-x screenwash with the rain repellent in it.

#14 · (Edited)
Sonax, Autoglym, Prestone do tests on bugs.
Autoexpress also do some testing on things like this.

Sonax have a good video about the testing they do, so I generally go with them. Buy the 250ml dosing bottle, and use some Ethanol and De-ionised water to make my own. I mix up a solution that works at -10C and leave it in all year round.

https://www.sonax.com/Product-Searc...iew-concentrate/(show)/videos#collapse-videos

I have a load of BMW screenwash which dilutes very well (it's rated to -67C neat, which means it's already 70-80% Ethanol), and it's a bit cheaper than mixing my own, so have that in another car - no complaints.

If you want to mix your own
- buy some Ethanol or bioethanol
- use this table to pick your temp resistance (I use -10C, so around 20% methanol)
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html
- remainder with de-ionised water (£1 for 2.5L from Supermarket)
- add your 1:100 concentrate screenwash (Sonax, CW100, BMW summer 50ml)

Don't go beyond -20C mixture - all that happens is that it evaporates before the wipers get a chance to wipe the screen

#21 ·
About 10 years ago, Autoglym used to have 150ml of Screenwash booster in their Lifeshine kits. It was the best additive in the world. Add it to any normal 5L screenwash to make a nice hydrophobic thing.

Don’t sell it any more, and extremely gutted. Their screenwash doesn’t do the same thing in any dilution. I’ve tried retail and pro screenwash.

#27 ·
About 10 years ago, Autoglym used to have 150ml of Screenwash booster in their Lifeshine kits. It was the best additive in the world. Add it to any normal 5L screenwash to make a nice hydrophobic thing.

Don't sell it any more, and extremely gutted. Their screenwash doesn't do the same thing in any dilution. I've tried retail and pro screenwash.
Well remembered! easily the best part of the kit, not that that is difficult:rolleyes:;)

cheers,

Chris

#28 ·
I've had a look at the specs of the Wurth screenwash (as you do)
https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Windscree...;sid=LZHy3J0tPZL23MHPlSvoAZInUSdZtOGbhvkrekzG

It looks to be exactly the same as BMW screenwash - even comes in the same container, just with a red lid:
Neat dilution -63C protection (so 80% Ethanol)
Colour - blue
Smell - Citrus
Of course, this doesn't mean they're the same.
I'll pick one up if I can get it cheap enough.

The one I've never tried is GM Opticlean, which I know is made by Sonax - I can't actually get it any cheaper than Sonax Xtreme 5L at around £20 for 5L - but if you have a Vauxhall Trade Card, apparently it's a bargain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-VA...Concentrate-Winter-Summer-93165266/1138109964
http://www.tradeclubparts.co.uk/parts/screenwash/

#45 ·
I used to put that Comma Xstream in my partners car until this year. They've stopped making it now though. 25% screenwash gave protection down to -9c, enough for most UK extreme conditions I would've thought. Had to change to the Prestone Extreme this year; they don't give much away about dilution on the bottle through.

#35 ·
The Halfords own brand screenwash is good quality - i have been using the concentrate for many years. I would rate it alongside the VW and AutoGlym screenwash i have used in other vehicles.

In fact, a lot of the own brand Halfords products are decent quality - don't be misled into thinking its all rubbish just because it has Halfords on the label.

#34 ·
A bit late to the party but I'm another user of the Autoglym screenwash, when Halfords had the recent discount on it I bought 10 bottles, so I'll be sticking with that for some time.......I'm happy with how it works but like anything I think having some protection on the screen helps, I've coated my glass with CarPro Flyby which works ok on it's own or really well when topped up with H2go after each clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.