Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Regional Groups & Meets > Northern and Southern Ireland
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
GleemSpray
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,811 Posts
The pre-brexit EU membership was a bit of a mess, but i voted remain because i thought brexit was a roll of the dice that could result with a worse mess, which i believe is the case.

There was a lot to be said for UK / European business and freight being "internal" before.

IMO Brexit would never have been proposed, if our then leader would have had the Cajones to stand in front of the EU and demand a better deal, as Thatcher did in 1984.

As it is, i think the EU will attempt to punish us at every opportunity, in order to dissuade other member states from thinking of leaving.
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
Derek-Eddleston (05-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #12
muzzer

Thanked 6,647 Times in 4,233 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
The pre-brexit EU membership was a bit of a mess, but i voted remain because i thought brexit was a roll of the dice that could result with a worse mess, which i believe is the case.

There was a lot to be said for UK / European business and freight being "internal" before.

IMO Brexit would never have been proposed, if our then leader would have had the Cajones to stand in front of the EU and demand a better deal, as Thatcher did in 1984.

As it is, i think the EU will attempt to punish us at every opportunity, in order to dissuade other member states from thinking of leaving.
I think you are right but then again, i think the EU as it is right now is defunct, now way will Germany continue to bank roll it. I've heard rumours that Spain is thinking of going back to the peseta and the french are discussing going back to the franc.
How true those two rumours are is open to debate and i think the EU will probably continue but not in it's present state.
Like you i voted remain and for the same reasons as you.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #13
uggski
PC Perfectionist

I didn't mean to start the whole Brexit debate again. I also voted remain but what's done is done. It's up to us now to make it work.

Saying the EU is going to punish us for leaving is maybe partly right, more so because a few countries are probably on the fence and watching closely what happens with to us. I don't believe it's punishment, more sticking to the rules that they warned us would have to be stuck to.
uggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #14
Derek-Eddleston
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggski View Post
I didn't mean to start the whole Brexit debate again. I also voted remain but what's done is done. It's up to us now to make it work.

Saying the EU is going to punish us for leaving is maybe partly right, more so because a few countries are probably on the fence and watching closely what happens with to us. I don't believe it's punishment, more sticking to the rules that they warned us would have to be stuck to.
I was on the fence but ended up voting Leave to avoid being dragged further and further in to the EU 'unknown'. A simple trading bloc was in everyones interest but some seem to have desires to create a United States of Europe. I think every individual wants to be a good neighbour and will always be willing to lend a drill or a lawnmower, but there's always someone who wants to keep extending the goodwill and you draw the line at letting the neighbour hump your daughter.
Derek-Eddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek-Eddleston For This Useful Post:
ltec (13-05-2021), spursfan (14-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #15
aerodynamic18
Orbital Oracle

at the minute getting stuff is a pain but is company specific. I ordered a compressor from SGS Engineering. They happily sent it (the shipping was dire but it hadn't change pre Brexit). However I want to get garage flooring and no-one will ship it here
aerodynamic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #16
ltec
Sponge Jockey

Its not all doom and gloom. Sometimes you need a wee scare to realise actually you're not to bad off.
The amount of people now dying coz they can't get cancer appointments are glad of every day they see.
Thank goodness we weren't in the EU when it came to vaccines. Look at the total mess they made of that and the amount of lives lost over it.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltec For This Useful Post:
spursfan (14-05-2021)
Old 31-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #17
beatty599
Orbital Oracle

Brexit will eventually lead to benefits, we're early days into this mess and COVID hitting has made it far worse. Give it 5 years and everything will settle down.

The trouble is if the UK is better off and doing well in 5 years, the other big countries in the EU will want to leave Germany, Italy etc and they can't allow that. There was never room in negotiations to actually negotiate a fair deal.
beatty599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #18
RS3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

It's a shame to hear its getting so bad. My wife and I 1st went there 15 years ago and had the time of our lives in Belfast especially. Possibly the friendliest city in Britain, fantastic pubs and restaurants where we had a real craic with the locals, cheap as potatoes and a much better weekend than the one we had just after in Dublin.
It is of course un-necessary and only apparent due to the bitterness of the EU and the lack of care dedicated to the NI Protocol. I'd hope its resolved soon as to me, its most important to maintain NI as a British nation ensuring those living there enjoy equal services and benefits.
I do hope it gets better and perhaps be careful what you wish for. It's a damn nice place - we returned to Belfast and Ballygally 7 years ago for a wedding and once again found so many people where great fun, really fantastic and helpful. Hopefully, once Covid mania passes, you can enjoy many benefits of EU membership also with free movement so I figured it's the place to be tbh and likely to become more commercially successful as a result.
Have the tensions started again as a result of Brexit?. Sounds like a poor excuse if so.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #19
SadlyDistracted
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek-Eddleston View Post
I was on the fence but ended up voting Leave to avoid being dragged further and further in to the EU 'unknown'. A simple trading bloc was in everyones interest but some seem to have desires to create a United States of Europe. I think every individual wants to be a good neighbour and will always be willing to lend a drill or a lawnmower, but there's always someone who wants to keep extending the goodwill and you draw the line at letting the neighbour hump your daughter.
But don't forget as much as the 'EU' may come out with rules it was up to individual countries on how (and if) they chose to implement them, which all comes back to the UK 'government'.
Brexit was and in many cases still is an ideology founded on very poorly communicated fact or consideration and arguably ignorance and not wanting to know the 'considerations', throwing the baby out with the bathwater...
As to all this 'punishment' we were the party that decided to divorce, how does one expect the other party to behave, bend over backwards, would you? We chose to leave the membership so who should pay for the changes, on both sides?

'We' chose it on the stupidest of political spin, the stupidest of small margins 'which was actually circa 37% of who could have voted, and if there had been a responsible government and leadership, have considered the referendum the peoples indication, worked out the fact, cost and benefits and acted on them, for the best of all those living and working in the UK...

No I did not vote for something that was so poorly evidenced, had no clear pros and cons, or clearly as best for us all (not just those playing currency markets). Also 'lead' by such moralistic brexiteers who took their money and businesses out of the UK as a consequence, being polite such hypocrites?

Certain area of government have to make decisions based on Investment Appraisals, would have been helpful if the government actually had one and published it as an aid to a decision / follow on referendum based on some facts?

And NI is a Wicked problem - Good Friday vs Legal trading borders - can't have the cake and eat it...
Even the history of Ireland (N) going back to the English Protestant 'invasion' of the predominately Catholic Ireland?

Too much emphasis is put on (any) change these days rather then the right change.

Last edited by SadlyDistracted; 18-06-2021 at 05:53 PM.
SadlyDistracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #20
justinio
Washmitt Meister

I really dont think we need another Brexit thread. It's all been done to death.
justinio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justinio For This Useful Post:
Derek-Eddleston (18-06-2021)