Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

View Poll Results: What mower?
Cylinder 60 22.06%
Rotary 179 65.81%
Both 33 12.13%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #711
spursfan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,224 Times in 866 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
I know, I'm still cutting the path and border as often as normal.
like what you have done to the lawn and the pots, plenty of colour and variation to look at
spursfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spursfan For This Useful Post:
LeadFarmer (31-05-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #712
evobaz

Yesterday I applied some "Turf Tonic" fertiliser that I bought and today I have some rather nasty looking black patches. It's not moss as I had removed the majority of the moss earlier in the year.

I can only assume I've over applied it in areas and scorched the grass probably killing it.

Just wish I had saved the £££ and not bought the bloody fertiliser in the first place.

I've currently got the sprinkler on the grass trying to dilute it/wash it in, as much as possible.
evobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #713
spursfan

Thanked 1,224 Times in 866 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evobaz View Post
Yesterday I applied some "Turf Tonic" fertiliser that I bought and today I have some rather nasty looking black patches. It's not moss as I had removed the majority of the moss earlier in the year.

I can only assume I've over applied it in areas and scorched the grass probably killing it.

Just wish I had saved the £££ and not bought the bloody fertiliser in the first place.

I've currently got the sprinkler on the grass trying to dilute it/wash it in, as much as possible.
yep, looks like it is scorching, so hard to get it dead right, especially with granule type products.
I have been using liquid on my back lawn using a sprinkler bar, I have a lovely light strip about 2 feet long and 4 inches wide, where I had obviously missed a bit

Kev
spursfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #714
stealthwolf

Right so since I posted a couple of months ago, I've:
- mown the lawn, and used 4-in-1 evergreen granules
- scarified it
- aerated it
- added more grass seed
- watered it regularly
- kept mowing it weekly
- used ferrous sulphate to keep it green.

I've always mown it on the highest setting, the idea being to let it grow lush and then slowly mow it shorter. The last two weeks, the rain has been daily so I've held off mowing it. The grass grew ridiculously tall.

I mowed it at the highest setting (7cm) a few days ago. It still looked very good. Today I mowed it one setting lower (5cm) and there are yellow-brown patches here and there. It doesn't look as lush as it previously did.

I'm hoping it will recover and it's just grass that didn't get sunlight previously and is now exposed.

Any ideas on what I should do? Plan to keep mowing at the current height but might go shorter.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #715
evobaz

I've done pretty much the same as you have although I cut mine far shorter.

When I fed the grass 3 weeks ago I thought I'd over done it in patches even though I was careful with how much I applied as some patches turned black. I now think this was just residual moss which wasn't removed during the first scarifying. I've since scarified it again and applied some top dressing, seed and soil to the patches which were bare and it's come back pretty well. I cut it a couple of days ago and it's looking not too bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to evobaz For This Useful Post:
Kiashuma (27-06-2016)
Old 27-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #716
Bmwjc
PC Perfectionist

Quote:

You will ha ve scorched it slightly. I wouldnt worry too much. From experience it grows out within a couple of weeks max and you'll have a lovely lush lawn.
This happens a lot when you apply a fertiliser (I've seen it happen loads with evergreen extreme green and 4 in 1) where the product is applied and then either yourself or someone else walks over the lawn. You get foot prints and black patches everywhere. It does grow out. Doesn't normally kill the grass off. It takes a bad bit or scorching to kill it. Can I ask what product you applied? I'm a greenkeeper by trade and I don't belive the off the shelf products from garden centres etc are worth the money. They are full of rubbish to bulk out the granules and don't last long at all. there is am online company who supply to the public but I'm not sure if I can name a company on hear? If I can Im happy to say which it is as they are very good. And good value.
Bmwjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #717
evobaz

I bought the fertiliser from a website called www.turfandstuff.com and the product was called Turf Tonic.
Old 27-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #718
Bmwjc
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
I bought the fertiliser from a website called www.turfandstuff.com and the product was called Turf Tonic.
Their website is down at the moment so will keep checking. I would water to heavy as you could cause yourself other problems. I'm assuming you have had plenty of rain like the rest of the UK so excess water could long term cause shallow rooting which you don't want incase we do have a dry summer. If the size of your lawn allows I would go in with some aeration. A garden fork will do go in 4 inches ish every 6 inches across your lawn. If it's a good size lawn you coukd get the aeration shoes or hire a petrol lawn aerator if your really want to. That will allow the soil profile to breathe and also let moisture right down into the profile. As for the black mark if it's how I'm picturing it from experience it will grow out quickly maybe 10 days and you should be good. If it turns brown you will be looking more long term damaged. Unfortunately this time of year I'd say let lt slide as you don't want to be seeding and top dressing unless you want to be watering well every night for the rest of the summer depending on weather.
Black marks it's just a case of sitting it out it will come good. Bare in mind though that if you have water heavily you will have seriously washed in the product so it won't last as long now.

Good luck. Let us know how you go.
Bmwjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #719
evobaz

Cheers for the detailed reply. Picture of the lawn above. It's recovered well. I did apply some top dressing and seed to the bare patches. The weather up here in Scotland is reasonably damp just now with regular showered and I don't mind watering the seed during drier spells. You'll see from the pic above though that it's came back pretty good.
Old 28-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #720
Rayaan

Thanked 1,320 Times in 976 Posts
Ive been using the Westland Feed Weed and Moss killer 500m2. Needed about 8 bags but its pretty good - no scorching (I was careful not to walk on it) and its killed off the weeds. The moss turned black and died too.

Something Ive learnt though, make sure you do overlapping passes ever so slightly otherwise you get stripes
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rayaan For This Useful Post:
evobaz (28-06-2016), Kiashuma (28-06-2016)