Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 01-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
SuperchargedLlama
DW Supporter

Garage
You must be sheeting me

Darlings, I am after some recommendations for LSPs that sheet. After watching Apex Details videos on the toppers they've developed to bead or sheet I realised that this so something I need in my arsenal. I'm perfectly happy to get Brian's product but I wondered if there was something UK based I can get as the shipping makes my eyes water and arms get shorter. Although the latter could be due to the jab this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/superchargedllama
SuperchargedLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
galamaa
PC Perfectionist

If you want Apex sheet, then you must grab art de shine nano gloss paint sealant v2. Maybe I am wrong, but they must be same product.
galamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
roscopervis
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,041 Times in 784 Posts
When do you want it to sheet?
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
SuperchargedLlama
DW Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
When do you want it to sheet?
When it's wet from rain.

The Following User Says Thank You to SuperchargedLlama For This Useful Post:
pt1 (03-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
bigkahunaburger

These probably aren't what you are after but might be worth mentioning for interest/discussion

Sheeting waxes:
Autoglym HD original
Swissvax Shield
Bouncer's Satsuma Rock

The AG and Swissvax bead impressively initially but then this gives way to more of a sheeting effect. They hang around for ages and seem to keep the care cleaner (less dusty bead marks) than a bead monster of a product. I haven't used Satsuma Rock but I have heard good things and Bouncers don't seem to make duff products.
bigkahunaburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
roscopervis

I found one of the latest Forensic Detailing videos interesting, the one where he tested a few durability products to see how well they lasted. Old Fusso won, and of course it beaded strongly. What may interest you is how 303 Graphene Spray did. If you look at it, it quickly went to look ‘flat’ and you could see Jon questioning whether it had died. However, it maintained that performance pretty much until the end, so was about as chemically resistant as DSW, but was a slow sheeting product.

That is the key, if you want a product that sheets in the rain, it needs to have slow water behaviour otherwise it will just bead. Rain doesn’t flood the panel in the same way as a hose so it’s actually quite difficult to find a product that has both very low water tension and actually provide protection. Most that get to low water tension have lost most of its performance.

Another one that springs to mind is Bilt Hamber Autobalm. It has the benefit of offering great filling properties but has the issue of being quite hard to use.

If I rack my brains there will be others. However, Jetseal won’t be one of them. When that sheets, it performs as an unprotected panel, not a protected panel that sheets. Put bluntly, it’s sheet!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roscopervis For This Useful Post:
66Rob (03-06-2021), bigkahunaburger (01-06-2021), Loach (02-06-2021), RS3 (03-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 PM   #7
Loach
Sponge Jockey

I've done a good amount of tests with the test hood during rain showers. If I take a freshly polished hood, panel wipe it with Prep-All or IPA so that it's completely bare and put that hood out in the rain, it beads the drops right up and it doesn't naturally sheet water off. Even during our monster rainstorms it wasn't dumping enough water volume to overcome the natural mild surface tension of the fresh paint. Then I go up with the hose nozzle on the shower setting and rinse the panel down and it's a nice and steady slow water sheet.

Taking that into account, you would need a product that actually lowers the surface tension and purposefully makes it much more hydrophilic compared to freshly polished completely bare and unprotected clearcoat in order to actually attempt to avoid water beading during rain showers. OR, you would need something so incredibly hydrophobic with the lowest sliding angle that would reduce the tendency of the rain water to cling to the paint on the vertical panels, something that makes it impossible to form a water sheet when flooded, this would actually reduce the level of beading on the vertical panels because they would fall off the paint at higher levels due to the steep angle.

A protectant that prevents water beading from occurring naturally during rainstorms by allowing the paint to become fully flooded, pooling the water into a sheet which slowly and cleanly drains all of the water off the paint, this does not exist on the market. It takes a little bit of external contamination or oxidation before unprotected paint starts to show hydrophilic tendencies that really flood easily during even mild rainstorms.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loach For This Useful Post:
MAXI-MILAN (27-06-2021), sm81 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #8
roscopervis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I've done a good amount of tests with the test hood during rain showers. If I take a freshly polished hood, panel wipe it with Prep-All or IPA so that it's completely bare and put that hood out in the rain, it beads the drops right up and it doesn't naturally sheet water off. Even during our monster rainstorms it wasn't dumping enough water volume to overcome the natural mild surface tension of the fresh paint. Then I go up with the hose nozzle on the shower setting and rinse the panel down and it's a nice and steady slow water sheet.

Taking that into account, you would need a product that actually lowers the surface tension and purposefully makes it much more hydrophilic compared to freshly polished completely bare and unprotected clearcoat in order to actually attempt to avoid water beading during rain showers. OR, you would need something so incredibly hydrophobic with the lowest sliding angle that would reduce the tendency of the rain water to cling to the paint on the vertical panels, something that makes it impossible to form a water sheet when flooded, this would actually reduce the level of beading on the vertical panels because they would fall off the paint at higher levels due to the steep angle.

A protectant that prevents water beading from occurring naturally during rainstorms by allowing the paint to become fully flooded, pooling the water into a sheet which slowly and cleanly drains all of the water off the paint, this does not exist on the market. It takes a little bit of external contamination or oxidation before unprotected paint starts to show hydrophilic tendencies that really flood easily during even mild rainstorms.
That is the problem, however you can help it along. Basically, a clean smooth paint surface, free of anything but paint will bead with rain, and flood with a hose. However, before very long, perhaps a week on a static panel, less with a used car, it will get flatter pretty quickly as the dust, pollen, dirt etc all sticks to it creating a microscopic uneven surface so the water's surface tension is much more easily broken and is flat quicker, like you describe.

Now, we don't want that as the paint is unprotected, but you want that effect, but with the benefits of dirt not sticking easily etc etc. In any event, it has to be accepted that any product will bead well initially, so what you are looking for is the product that gets to a very low surface tension quickly, but maintains it for a good while, but which is actually working and not just naked paint.

The best one I have seen is fairly old GTechniq C1 which was very obviously there in that it was protecting from bird bombs etching and even mild scratching to an extent, but which was, when cleaned, more hydrophillic than bare paint.

Older sealants could be ok at this too, but the water behaviour tended to stay around clean paint good/bad. Meguiars Paint Protect 365 was quite good in this respect if you can still find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to roscopervis For This Useful Post:
Loach (04-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #9
SuperchargedLlama
DW Supporter

Garage
Some good advice here, thank you!

Last edited by SuperchargedLlama; 03-06-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #10
66Rob

I recall Armour All Shield sheeting nicely as well.
66Rob is offline   Reply With Quote