Detailing World Forum banner

Detailing Bug - Machine Polishing

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyN01 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning all. First post on here. Had a read through some of the threads on here and done a basic search but can't seem to find the answers to the questions I have.

I have gotten the detailing bug over the last 18 months or so and enjoy taking time making mine and the missus cars look as good as possible. Up until recently, everything I've done I've done by hand - compound, polishing, wax etc. but I invested in one of the Argos DA machine polishers a few weeks ago and have had a bit of a practice on my mates old van however I've only been able to practice with what came with the kit I.e. one pad etc.

What would I need in terms of pads/backing plates to add to this and ensure I can do a good job on the cars? Size wise? There seems to be lots of different sizes to choose from.

I have a metallic/pearl white Seat Leon and the missus has mineral grey bmw 3 series.

Pics for attention. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have used the same da on a 15plate Octavia

Got a new 5" backing plate
5.5 White hex pad (med cut)

purple (medium) Scholl spider pad
Orange (finishing)
With s17plus med cut
s40 finishing

Attempted a purple pad with s40 as a lower starting point. Didn't quite cut it, so I went for a white pad and s17. Then purple pad with S40 then orange pad with S40. Results were quite good really.

Although I think I'm meant to ditch the purple and s40 so I can go from white s17 cut then orange S40 finish, but I wasn't sure if the gap between the 2 would be too much for a good finish

#3 ·
the 7inch pad it comes with and 6inch backing plate dont do that well with anything other than a big flat panel

depending on the curves and shapes on the car
3inch spot pads and backing plate to suit If there are tight bits
5 inch pads / 5.5inch pads and backing plate to suit

might be a place to start,, pick your brand of pads and what type of them you think you may need, with your compound of choice,
everyone will have Their own recommended pads, in general "medium cut" "light polishing" and "finishing" seem to get the most recommendations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.