Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
Craig85
Unwashed Member

2000 Saxo VTS track car

Right then, here goes!

After lurking on here for years and reading various threads on builds I thought Iíd put mine on to document whats gone on with the build to date and add more as time goes on.

Some background to this purchase, we did a Nurburgring trip in April of this year in our Megane and I let the mrs have a lap....... to which she had the time of her life! Later that evening two options landed on the table:

1. We book our New York trip as discussed, or
2. We buy a little track car and delay the New York trip

So here we are!

After trawling eBay/Facebook/gumtree for 172/182 Clioís and getting no replies on cars I was interested in I cast a broader net and it spat out saxo/106 GTIís.

After a few false starts I stumbled across our car. After speaking to the guy who was open and honest about the car I paid a deposit and arranged for it to be shipped up north.... thatís right I bought it unseen

It turned out to be a bit of a gem!

Itís also came with a mountain of spares. This was all in the back of the car!

Firstly I tackled the issue of the car running hot. The guy had supplied a brand new radiator amongst all the spares. Also tackled the oil leaks from the rocker cover.

After the radiator was bled and the rockers sealed and cured it was out for a drive to check for leaks.

This thing is an absolute riot to drive! It has a saxsport exhaust so is slightly antisocial but hilarious with it.

Once Iíd established the radiator was fine and the oil leaks sorted I gave it a good service. Oil, filter, gearbox oil, plugs, new Gold sump plug, fuel filter. May have been a placebo but it definitely ran better after that. After establishing all the mechanicals were in order it was onto the interior.

Started by stripping everything out that wasnít needed

Once this was all done I was at a lose end as the seats Iíd ordered were on back order for 4 weeks. This also had a knock on effect to getting the cage fitted.

So in the mean time I set about painting the badges and wheels. Now this car is actually for the mrs for track days (Honest it is!) so I let her pick the colour.... she picked it to match her crash helmet....

Some good friends of mine kindly donated some Dunlopís from their race car that have been well used but have more than enough life left in them for what we need.

Slight problem with the Citroen badge as it came off in two pieces

But with a bit of doubled sided tape it went back on the car fine. Added some led number plate lights as the ones on the car were well passed it.

Fast forward 6 weeks, the seats and harnesses finally turned up along with the rainsports Iíd ordered.

Got them fitted in ready for the car to go off and get the cage fitted. The drivers seat is on runners to allow both of us to drive it and the passenger seat is bolted directly to the subframe. Iíd also fitted a new steering wheel with a quick release boss to make it easier to get in and out of the seat.

And off it went for the cage.

Once Iíd got it back I test fitted the harnesses - purple ones of course! Then set about painting it - yep youíve guessed it purple!

When I had driven it previously I thought it was a bit weighward at the rear. Now this was with the terrible GTI seats which didnít help as they were knackered and all over the place, but once the buckets were in you could feel the rear axle had gone. So a call to IM axles for a 30mm dropped axle was made and it was delivered within the week. This was on an exchange basis for the old one which they arranged to pick up and the whole process was painless. I cant fault these guys and I would highly recommend them!

Now changing the axle in a single garage was a bit of a nightmare but we got the old one out and new one in in roughly 2 hours. Thanks to my dad and Andrew for the help. I never got round to taking any photos of this but have got a few gratuitous shots of the new braided hoses and new copper lines with the new axle lurking in the background.

After the axle was fitted and test driven with the adjustable gaz shocks Iíd put on it transformed the car! All I had to do now was fit the new brakes bleed them up and we were ready for its first track day

Ive probably missed a few things out as Iíve just brain dumped the past 7 months of the saxo into this thread.

I hope youíve enjoyed reading as itís felt good to document what weíve done with the car so far. Next up Iíll update how the track day went and where we are with the car now.
Craig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig85 For This Useful Post:
Bustanut (21-11-2018), rojer386 (21-11-2018), Tuddie (21-11-2018)
Old 21-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
Tuddie
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Tuddie
That looks a wee belter of a Saxo.
Tuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
FJ1000
Washmitt Meister

Good build!

I hope you went for some decent brake fluid!

Can you give some more detail on painting the cage? What primer and paint did you use?

My TT track car already had the cage in it when I bought it, but the previous owner had decided to get a bright red one! Been meaning to paint it for ages. Car is blue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FJ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Craig85
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ1000 View Post
Good build!

I hope you went for some decent brake fluid!

Can you give some more detail on painting the cage? What primer and paint did you use?

My TT track car already had the cage in it when I bought it, but the previous owner had decided to get a bright red one! Been meaning to paint it for ages. Car is blue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got ATE typ 200 and it was spot on.

I used etch primer and Halfords Ford purple velvet metallic. Then gave it a coat of clear lacquer. It's not perfect by any means but with it being a track car it didn't need to be. Just make sure you have everything masked off and it's well ventilated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig85 For This Useful Post:
FJ1000 (21-11-2018)
Old 21-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
John-R-
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig85 View Post

Quick query, you sure you'e got the Spring Retaining clip on the correct way round?? Normally go on the fixed fitting where the little notch is cut.

John
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Craig85
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-R- View Post
Quick query, you sure you'e got the Spring Retaining clip on the correct way round?? Normally go on the fixed fitting where the little notch is cut.

John
Not quite sure what you mean? The pipe goes through the clip which in turn screws into the flexi pipe and pulls the clip tight
Old 22-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
John-R-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig85 View Post
Not quite sure what you mean? The pipe goes through the clip which in turn screws into the flexi pipe and pulls the clip tight
What I've seen and done before is feed the pre-made fitting through the retaining bracket then lock it in place with the spring clip, hence the reason one side of the pre-made assembly is bigger than the hole in the bracket.

You then slide the spring clip onto the hose assembly locating it in the machined recess.

This was from doing various Peugeots years ago so probably a similar set up to the Citroen.

It might be different depending on your hose selection though, I was using GoodRidge assemblies.

Last edited by John-R-; 22-11-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: <sp>
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
Craig85
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-R- View Post
What I've seen and done before is feed the pre-made fitting through the retaining bracket then lock it in place with the spring clip, hence the reason one side of the pre-made assembly is bigger than the hole in the bracket.

You then slide the spring clip onto the hose assembly locating it in the machined recess.

This was from doing various Peugeots years ago so probably a similar set up to the Citroen.

It might be different depending on your hose selection though, I was using GoodRidge assemblies.
These hoses are different. There is no recess built into them, they just slide into the bracket and use the spring clips as they were on the the original hoses. I see what you mean now with the ones you have used.
Old 22-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Ben_W

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,052 Posts
Keep the receipt for the axle.......and check the warranty conditions.

Other than that, nice car. These are decent on track. I was at a track day with one there and it was indecently quick. Was keeping with some stuff it really shouldn't have been!
Ben_W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
Craig85
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Keep the receipt for the axle.......and check the warranty conditions.

Other than that, nice car. These are decent on track. I was at a track day with one there and it was indecently quick. Was keeping with some stuff it really shouldn't have been!
Noted!

I was pleasantly surprised how good it was on track as were a few guys who couldnít shake it off. Iíve been on the Renault side of the French car world for a number of years so the saxo world is pretty new to me.

Once Iíd started taking it apart I did feel slightly guilty that I was stripping a good car down as it seems to only have a few areas of corrosion to tend to. But after seeing some of you guys on here restoring cars I donít feel so bad now!

Iíve got a bit more to update as to where itís at now