Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 12-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
andyb_sv
Washmitt Meister

Paint blemish on new car

PickEd up a new car today and after inspecting it thereís a small paint blemish on the rear bumper, itís tiny and looks like some dust has got underneath the paint if that makes sense? There are also a couple of very small scratches on the other end of the bumper, about 4 probably around 3-4mm in length.

Iím going to let the dealer know on Monday when the sales person Iíve been dealing with is back in but not sure what I want them to do if Iím honest! Would rather they didnít start mucking around with it and make the finish worse but equally itís already annoying me!

Has anyone had similar?
andyb_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyb_sv For This Useful Post:
kingswood (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
GeeWhizRS
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,222 Times in 822 Posts
Garage
See what they say. I would imagine they might factor in a discount on the first service or such. That way it doesn't really cost them and you save a few quid.
If it's a case of polishing something out, I'd rather sort it myself than let them muck about with it.
GeeWhizRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeeWhizRS For This Useful Post:
andyb_sv (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 8,683 Times in 5,442 Posts
It's not unusual for brand new cars to be damaged in transport. It sounds as if that bumper has been resprayed.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
andyb_sv (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
shane_ctr

Yes got a similar issue as we speak. I picked up my brand new car in June and had asked the dealer not to clean it. After giving the car itís first clean I discovered exactly what your describing on the rear tail gate. I emailed the dealership that evening and was asked to bring the car back so it could be looked at. The sales guy tried suggesting it was a stone chip but I wasnít having it and someone else from the workshop agreed and said it appeared something was under the paint. Pictures got taken and sent off to BMW who this week have agreed to re spray the top edge of the boot lid. This is now the issue i am sure 99.9% of the general public would be very happy with this but for me I donít really want a body shop messing around with my brand new car. The dealer rung me today and asked me to book the car in but I am unsure on what to do. When I first saw it the car had less than 50 miles on the cloak from driving it home from the dealer so it was painful to see but now the car has 1500 miles itís still annoying but itís not so annoying now. I am tempted to ask the dealer for some sort of compensation (money off first service or something) instead of getting the tailgate painted.

shane_ctr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_ctr For This Useful Post:
andyb_sv (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Andy from Sandy

Thanked 1,263 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
The sales guy tried suggesting it was a stone chip but I wasn’t having it
This is why I thoroughly inspected my car before departing the dealership. As it had imperfections I rejected it. I think once you drive a way it is an uphill struggle to get the service you really want.

Despite the so called hard paint on BMWs my car has more stone chips in 30K than either of my previous ones with 3 times the mileage.
Andy from Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:
andyb_sv (12-09-2020), shane_ctr (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,617 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_ctr View Post
Yes got a similar issue as we speak. I picked up my brand new car in June and had asked the dealer not to clean it. After giving the car itís first clean I discovered exactly what your describing on the rear tail gate. I emailed the dealership that evening and was asked to bring the car back so it could be looked at. The sales guy tried suggesting it was a stone chip but I wasnít having it and someone else from the workshop agreed and said it appeared something was under the paint. Pictures got taken and sent off to BMW who this week have agreed to re spray the top edge of the boot lid. This is now the issue i am sure 99.9% of the general public would be very happy with this but for me I donít really want a body shop messing around with my brand new car. The dealer rung me today and asked me to book the car in but I am unsure on what to do. When I first saw it the car had less than 50 miles on the cloak from driving it home from the dealer so it was painful to see but now the car has 1500 miles itís still annoying but itís not so annoying now. I am tempted to ask the dealer for some sort of compensation (money off first service or something) instead of getting the tailgate painted.
I know what you mean about a new car seeing paint for something like that. Have you considered some touch up paint first with a tiny brush, or even if a professional filled and sanded and polished it to make it as conspicuous as possible?
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian6984 For This Useful Post:
andyb_sv (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
shane_ctr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
This is why I thoroughly inspected my car before departing the dealership. As it had imperfections I rejected it. I think once you drive a way it is an uphill struggle to get the service you really want.

Despite the so called hard paint on BMWs my car has more stone chips in 30K than either of my previous ones with 3 times the mileage.
I should of done the same. This is the first brand new car I have owned and it didnít quite go how I planned due to Covid and collecting as soon as the dealership was aloud to open as car had arrived just before lock down so car was a bit grubby and had to be collected from the car park at the dealership as wasnít doing hangovers inside I didnít really get a chance to inspect it properly.

I totally agree the paint on this new X3 is not a patch on my previous X5 (2014 model) and previous 330d (2008 model) the quality certainly seems to have dropped and I think next time I might move away from BMW
Old 12-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
andyb_sv
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_ctr View Post
Thanks for the info, mines a Mini but itís interesting yours is on a BMW. I worry that theyíll try to say I caused the damage but the sales manager lives opposite me and although we donít know each other Iím hoping it may help a bit!
andyb_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyb_sv For This Useful Post:
shane_ctr (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
shane_ctr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
I know what you mean about a new car seeing paint for something like that. Have you considered some touch up paint first with a tiny brush, or even if a professional filled and sanded and polished it to make it as conspicuous as possible?
Unfortunately itís raised so I donít think touch up will make any difference. I think I might take it to a local body shop and see if something can be done to improve it without paint. The camera has made it look worse than it is and to be honest itís only really visible when the car is spotless after a clean. I have come to except your canít have perfection nowadays
Old 12-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
Ctreanor13
PC Perfectionist

I went to look at a 2017 Leon FR for my brother on Thursday and there were plenty of scrapes and stone chips (ex mobility car) but on the rear passenger quarter panel there were a few marks like these or a bit of dust under the paint and the sales rep tried passing them off as chips and wouldn't entertain the idea of spraying
Ctreanor13 is offline   Reply With Quote