Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 27-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #101
Andy from Sandy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,274 Times in 947 Posts
All batteries have a finite number of charges they will take - nothing lasts forever!

Lithium is a very good technology and by the above post it appears better than I thought.

I only have experience from use in radio control models both lithium ion polymer and the lithium ion LiFePO4 cells.

A lot of articles put the life expectancy at 1000 recharges but never give figures for partial discharge partial recharge which what most talk about when fast charging to 80%.

1000 recharges with a distance of 120 miles is 120,000 miles so that is some distance that for those renting or leasing will probably never see.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 27-07-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:
Coops (27-07-2021), Rappy (28-07-2021)
Old 27-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #102
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
All batteries have a finite number of charges they will take - nothing lasts forever!

Lithium is a very good technology and by the above post it appears better than I thought.

I only have experience from use in radio control models both lithium ion polymer and the lithium ion LiFePO4 cells.

A lot of articles put the life expectancy at 1000 recharges but never give figures for partial discharge partial recharge which what most talk about when fast charging to 80%.

1000 recharges with a distance of 120 miles is 120,000 miles so that is some distance that for those renting or leasing will probably never see.

When you’ve got Tesla talking about lots of small, but important, design improvements leading to the “million mile battery pack” then you can see that there has been a dramatic improvement in the last decade. There are still plenty of Gen1 Nissan Leafs on the road with batteries that are now 10 years old, and with decent amounts of degradation, but still useful for owners who only do limited miles. And with companies like Clevely EV offering pack upgrades for Leafs, so can potentially put a 40kWh or 62kWh pack into a car that originally had the 24kWh pack. It’s not particularly cheap, but it is less than the figures often quoted on non-EV forums.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #103
Andy from Sandy

Thanked 1,274 Times in 947 Posts
Oh dear Lord! Here we go. And don't forget the treasury needs their cut. What's fair?

Quote:
However, at present there is a disparity between how much it costs to charge a car at home compared to public charging, which is more expensive.
Do these people even look at what it takes to build something, build a business and how a business needs to pay its bills?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57963912
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 11:01 PM   #104
Deniance

Don’t think Evs will be affordable to everyone, I mean every kid has a car at 18 these days, come and go as you please, I think the government will have to make buses and trains for everyone because nobody will be able to afford a car, the family homes with 3 or 4 cars won’t be able to charge them all overnight, all the flats and high rise buildings won’t be able to charge them, heck even streets where you can’t park outside your door won’t be able to charge them, having a freedom car will be taken away from a lot of people, what about 2nd hand electric cars? They are useless aren’t they?
If you look at leafs on eBay, you can buy one with 100,000 miles , range has dropped to 50 miles and a new battery costs 2 grand , who the hell is gonna pay 5 bags for a 10 year old car with 100k miles?
Deniance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deniance For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (02-08-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #105
Coops

Garage
Update and ordering time - I've received my login and can now go about browsing the choices. My choices are as follows:
  • VW ID3 - 5 door 204PS Life Pro Performance
  • Hyundai Kona Premium
  • Tesla 3 Standard Plus
  • Polestar 2 Long Range Single Motor Plus
  • VW ID4 5 door 204PS Life Pro Performance
  • Ford Mustang Mach E Standard Range
  • Audi Q4 E-Tron 40 204 S Line
  • Tesla 3 Long Range
  • Audi E Tron 50 313ps Quattro Technik
  • Mercedes EQC 400 Sport
  • Mercedes EQC 400 AMG Line

Interesting additions of the VWs, Polestar 2 and Ford. Gutted that the I-Pace has been removed but in talking to the I-Pace forum I think i've probably dodged a bullet as the new Pivi-Pro is plagued with issues.

Best go off and do some research and see where my heads at.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #106
bidderman1969
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,320 Posts
I don't know why, but that list look very appealing tbh, or is it just me?
bidderman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bidderman1969 For This Useful Post:
Coops (29-07-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #107
Coops

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidderman1969 View Post
I don't know why, but that list look very appealing tbh, or is it just me?
It's actually a really good mix of cars, specs and ranges.
Old 29-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #108
bellguy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Wouldn't touch Tesla, poor paintwork, very poor fit and finish and zero back up WHEN they go boobs up, which they do as i have 2 friends with them and neither would have another.
Almost like you are buying into the tech and the car is secondary, spares etc virtually none existent, waiting months for parts isn't where i would want to be lol.
bellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #109
Coops

Garage
After much deliberation, review reading, test driving and discussion in the house (it's amazing how much input two 15 year old boys have!), I've made a decision and placed an order (I think you'll probably guess what I've gone for)

But first some of the justification for those discounted:
- The Tesla models were already a no-go for me from the start
- E-Tron, whilst a great car, was let down by it's poor range
- The Mustang is an odd one, fantastic looking car IMO but the model choice available to me wasn't great in terms of specification
- Kona was a nice car, nice loaded with tech but small, not right the family as only 300 litre boot
- VW - neither liked by the OH! Enough said!

It therefore came down to 3 models, all very good in their own rights - the Polestar, Audi Q4 and Mercedes EQC.

The Audi is a great car - looks good, will have the Audi quality and roomy inside. I didn't really like some of the external trim. Range was acceptable.
Polestar 2 - was only the long range single motor. Managed to get a drive in one but whilst the interior was really good, my left leg wasn't happy on the console and there wasn't enough legroom in the back for the teenagers.
Mercedes EQC - had already driven on and knew what it was like.

I've therefore gone with the EQC AMG Line. On balance it was the best of my available models, delivers well on range and is that bit more luxurious than the Q4. No options allowed aside from the Spectral Blue metallic paint which I've done for. In fact, there doesn't tend to be that many options available on EVs as they are already fairly well loaded.

Awaiting contact from dealer (via lease company) but expect 4 month leadtime I believe.

Home charging point is next on the list to sort.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coops For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (02-08-2021), bidderman1969 (02-08-2021), Darlofan (02-08-2021), NickP (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #110
NickP

Garage
Coops, I think you've done a lot more research than me, my change to an EV was purely a financial one, I replaced my SQ7 with a Model 3 Performance without driving one
As an additional rate taxpayer another SQ7 would have cost me around £15-16k a year in BIK Tax, the Tesla is around £240 this year and will be around £480 next year.
The other current bonus with EV's is that they can be written down 100% in year one - we've bought 3 meaning we can write off £180k against them in year 1 which will save us around £34k in corporation tax.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickP For This Useful Post:
Coops (02-08-2021)