Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Interior & Glass
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior & Glass Discuss All your Interior Issue - Dash - Seats and All the Car Glass Areas - Interior Dressing, Leather etc |

Old 28-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #11
20vKarlos
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,401 Posts
Garage
This has been caused by a poorly applied glass coating, more specifically the coating not curing/being removed correctly.

You can try all the stuff above and they should solve the problem, I’d probably start with bar keepers first
20vKarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post
Thanks, I will try Barkeepers Friend first. There's a Range near so...

How to use it, without a machine polisher / drill?
I have an old cereal bowl and a sponge scouring pad (like you buy for washing dishes).

Have an open hose ready or a hose spray gun set on a gentle spray pattern. Get the windscreen wipers out of the way. Wear disposable gloves.

Put a bit of the BKF powder into the bowl and dribble just enough water to mix it into a slightly runny paste.

Then carefully pick up some of the paste onto the rough scouring part of the sponge and work it across and around the windscreen (i go in circles, like you would if you are applying wax, but with a little pressure). Keep it off any paint or plastics.

Leave it for about a minute, to work its magic, but don't let it dry out if its a warm day.

Then gently hose down from the top, so it all goes into the rain scuttle and away - just use plenty of water until all trace has gone.

That's it, job done, repeat if necessary
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
20vKarlos (28-07-2021)
Old 28-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #13
20vKarlos

Garage
Quality reply Gleem, I’m sure he’ll do well with this one now
The Following User Says Thank You to 20vKarlos For This Useful Post:
GleemSpray (28-07-2021)
Old 28-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
garage_dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
I have an old cereal bowl and a sponge scouring pad (like you buy for washing dishes).

Have an open hose ready or a hose spray gun set on a gentle spray pattern. Get the windscreen wipers out of the way. Wear disposable gloves.

Put a bit of the BKF powder into the bowl and dribble just enough water to mix it into a slightly runny paste.

Then carefully pick up some of the paste onto the rough scouring part of the sponge and work it across and around the windscreen (i go in circles, like you would if you are applying wax, but with a little pressure). Keep it off any paint or plastics.

Leave it for about a minute, to work its magic, but don't let it dry out if its a warm day.

Then gently hose down from the top, so it all goes into the rain scuttle and away - just use plenty of water until all trace has gone.

That’s a great reply and what I do. You could also try using 0000 wire wool with the paste.

What does leaving it for a minute do? I though the work was done by BKF in the scouring stage, not by leaving on for any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garage_dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #15
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage_dweller View Post
That’s a great reply and what I do. You could also try using 0000 wire wool with the paste.

What does leaving it for a minute do? I though the work was done by BKF in the scouring stage, not by leaving on for any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have found that if you basically work it gently onto the glass, then leave it for only a minute or so, it deff seems to soften any hard bonded contaminates and you seem to get a better result first time.

So now i put it on, leave for one minute, then start to gently scrub.
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
garage_dweller (28-07-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #16
thesmileyone
Unwashed Member

So wet microfibre, + barkeepers friend powder...did this today.

It's much better, just noisy wipers now, the passenger one seems to "jump" when it gets almost to it's bottom resting position and can't figure out why. Noticed a slight bit of juddering from the driver one but only when the windscreen was practically dry. I've not sealed it or polished it, just used the barkeepers a few times. I can now see the lines where the wipers stop etc which I could not see before.

I will give it a go when it rains, if it works then i need to look at replacing the wipers I think, they are incredibly noisy...squealing (and squealing when cleaning them with a cloth) for genuine audi ones that are only a week old.

People rave about PIAA Si-Tech ones on these cars so...
thesmileyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesmileyone For This Useful Post:
BrummyPete (29-07-2021), GleemSpray (29-07-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #17
BrummyPete

Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,118 Posts
Sounds like your getting there mate

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
BrummyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #18
thesmileyone
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I didn't see a page 2 until now when I was wondering where my last post went! I will try this again if need be, this way
thesmileyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thesmileyone For This Useful Post:
GleemSpray (29-07-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #19
20vKarlos

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post
So wet microfibre, + barkeepers friend powder...did this today.

It's much better, just noisy wipers now, the passenger one seems to "jump" when it gets almost to it's bottom resting position and can't figure out why. Noticed a slight bit of juddering from the driver one but only when the windscreen was practically dry. I've not sealed it or polished it, just used the barkeepers a few times. I can now see the lines where the wipers stop etc which I could not see before.

I will give it a go when it rains, if it works then i need to look at replacing the wipers I think, they are incredibly noisy...squealing (and squealing when cleaning them with a cloth) for genuine audi ones that are only a week old.

People rave about PIAA Si-Tech ones on these cars so...

give it another couple of passes with the Bar Keepers and it should stop the juddering, it sounds like you're almost there
The Following User Says Thank You to 20vKarlos For This Useful Post:
GleemSpray (29-07-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
Kif
Unwashed Member

If after a few more goes with the BKF you still have some remaining issues, then another suggestion I have seen is to slightly 'twist' the wiper arm itself so as to present the wiper blade to the screen at a different angle.
Kif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
judder, wax, windscreen