Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 27-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
SarahAnn
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post
There are quite a few selling on Ebay with just a few miles on for 3k to 5k over the list£. I expect by the time I get mine there will be plenty about but as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they up the price given the demand - people believe that the GR is being sold under the cost of manufacture so I doubt if they will extend the number of cars being made which I think is about 25000 world wide. Very pleased I got my order in when they where offering 0% finance too
Just need to tell the wife that I ordered it and i'm planning on selling her car to get it.......
Haha plenty of time to tell her. It's an investment
SarahAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SarahAnn For This Useful Post:
RS3 (27-07-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
Teamleader 21
Sponge Jockey

Back in April, put an order in for a new XF Jag, delivery around mid July. Same day news item stated issues with semi conductors, a few weeks later spoke with the sales guy and it was knocked back to September. Went in this week now around October, I've valued my current car on wbac and it has risen steadily since April although personally i think it will start to taper off. I looked on Gumtree for a replacement with mot till around December, saw a decent Daihatsu so contacted the seller that evening, told someone was going to look at it. I said I'd call back to see if they bought it, anyway they didn't so i asked if i could ring at 10:00 to organise a visit? He agreed, I called at 10:00 and got the answer machine left a message saying I'd called and would ring back at 10:30, rang him and denied i'd called him and now someone else was looking at it. Explained about the date and time stamp on my phone but a waste of time. So went back on Gumtree again saw a Picasso 30mins after it posted sent a message asking to look at it, no reply after 6hrs sent another message still no reply, but still showing for sale a day later, I think this sod is holding out for more money, courtesy would be nice or am i being naive?
Teamleader 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #13
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,617 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamleader 21 View Post
Back in April, put an order in for a new XF Jag, delivery around mid July. Same day news item stated issues with semi conductors, a few weeks later spoke with the sales guy and it was knocked back to September. Went in this week now around October, I've valued my current car on wbac and it has risen steadily since April although personally i think it will start to taper off. I looked on Gumtree for a replacement with mot till around December, saw a decent Daihatsu so contacted the seller that evening, told someone was going to look at it. I said I'd call back to see if they bought it, anyway they didn't so i asked if i could ring at 10:00 to organise a visit? He agreed, I called at 10:00 and got the answer machine left a message saying I'd called and would ring back at 10:30, rang him and denied i'd called him and now someone else was looking at it. Explained about the date and time stamp on my phone but a waste of time. So went back on Gumtree again saw a Picasso 30mins after it posted sent a message asking to look at it, no reply after 6hrs sent another message still no reply, but still showing for sale a day later, I think this sod is holding out for more money, courtesy would be nice or am i being naive?
Set what you are willing to pay and stick to it, whether genuine or not there is no shortage of most used cars out there to risk playing games with sellers. All comes down to what you need? I luckily managed to replace a write off within a week but could have done it in less if I wasn't fussy about what I wanted, Plenty of cheap-ish cars and some well looked after that as a stop gap wont loose you much in depreciation, also if in Good condition, Low mileage and well services should be easy to sell on
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christian6984 For This Useful Post:
Teamleader 21 (30-07-2021)
Old 29-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #14
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,345 Times in 2,776 Posts
If your being messed about before you have seen it then move along
SteveTDCi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveTDCi For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (30-07-2021), Teamleader 21 (30-07-2021)
Old 30-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #15
Teamleader 21
Sponge Jockey

Yeah, i'm sticking to my budget and not fussy about any make of car. Just get frustrated at how people can't be straight with you.
Teamleader 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teamleader 21 For This Useful Post:
Christian6984 (30-07-2021)
Old 30-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #16
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,617 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamleader 21 View Post
Yeah, i'm sticking to my budget and not fussy about any make of car. Just get frustrated at how people can't be straight with you.
My budget back when I was at uni was at the limit of being able to get the car I wanted. This was back in 2004 before Autotrader showed up if a car was CAT C/D, thankfully it shows up now and seems to be included in descriptions much better on the likes of Ebay etc. Looked at probably 20+ versions of the same car, plenty of rough ones and crash damaged repaired. Found a one owner in the region on Ebay with service history and 6k miles on. Really well looked after and viewed it before bidding, was back in slow internet days for us where it took so long I lost it. Didn't meet reserve so messaged seller and we negotiated a price and settled out of ebay, was a belting little car tbf so they are out there but they seem to take some finding.
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #17
kh904
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,204 Times in 822 Posts
I've definitely noticed a sharp increase in prices for used cars.
I bought my A5 sportback (2018) back in April for £18k and i've been looking on autotrader out of curiosity, and A5 sportbacks are going for £20k for lower specs!
kh904 is offline   Reply With Quote