Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
MAW73
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
New Z4 M40i in Frozen Metallic Grey help with products

After some advise please . I have put a deposit down on a x demo Z M40i which I should be collecting in a week or two.

It is this one as per the link below which comes in the special optional Frozen Metallic Grey paint option.

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...9-a40565111eee

https://youtu.be/-4ZnEWSB-qw

This paint for sure is probably going to need a little more careful maintenance.

Please could get some advice on the best and most suitable products to use on this for a new car protection and for the maintenance moving forward??

Thanks

Last edited by MAW73; 03-08-2019 at 07:26 AM.
MAW73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
nbray67
DW Superstar
 
nbray67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nott's
Posts: 5,171
Thanks: 3,327
Thanked 4,127 Times in 2,749 Posts
Garage
Stunning car indeed.

I'd go ceramic coating if it was me.

Are you applying the LSP and machine polishing the paint yourself?
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
v_r_s
Orbital Oracle
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 153 Times in 121 Posts
Ceramic all day
v_r_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Gas head
Orbital Oracle
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 596
Thanks: 124
Thanked 305 Times in 224 Posts
be interested how this paint holds up and whether its just a fashion re residual value?
Gas head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
camerashy
'Detailing Devil'
 
camerashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands
Posts: 7,232
Thanks: 2,799
Thanked 2,919 Times in 2,368 Posts
Garage
I saw one of these on the Waitrose car park a few weeks ago and thought what a lovely looking car it was, enjoy Detailing and driving it.
camerashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
andy__d
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 838
Thanks: 842
Thanked 619 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAW73 View Post
After some advise please . I have put a deposit down on a x demo Z M40i which I should be collecting in a week or two.

It is this one as per the link below which comes in the special optional Frozen Metallic Grey paint option.

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...9-a40565111eee

https://youtu.be/-4ZnEWSB-qw

This paint for sure is probably going to need a little more careful maintenance.

Please could get some advice on the best and most suitable products to use on this for a new car protection and for the maintenance moving forward??

Thanks
take a trip to a local to you detailing firm , theres a Few on here, let them work there magic with the car and they no doubt will give you advice on maintaining it after there work
andy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
MAW73
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
I got cold feet in the end with regard to the Matt frozen grey paint finish. I spoke to a few very helpful professional detailing companies and they all said it was a difficult car to maintain. One company recommended having the car wrapped in a clear film was the best way forward for piece of mind. However, at a cost of nearly 4k this wasn't an option for me.

Also as the car in question was bmw demo car and had 3k in the clock since April. So I was very nervous as to how they had been looking after it.

So in the end I have orderd a new one in Black Sapphire.

Last edited by MAW73; 12-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.
MAW73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Blackroc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 1,069
Thanks: 161
Thanked 735 Times in 416 Posts
From experience of regularly looking after a matte frozen Bronze BMW, they are fairly easy to maintain and can look stunning, and Gtechniq C2v3 is perfect on them (quick and easy to apply too) or a matte wax. Make-up and de-icer leave grease stains that will eventually come off!

However, you can't polish them at all, and don't underestimate how hard it is to get any sort of damage sorted - especially by BMW! Most of their bodyshops wont touch the frozen range as colour matching is an absolute nightmare!
Blackroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
MAW73
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroc View Post
Make-up and de-icer leave grease stains that will eventually come off!

However, you can't polish them at all, and don't underestimate how hard it is to get any sort of damage sorted - especially by BMW! Most of their bodyshops wont touch the frozen range as colour matching is an absolute nightmare!
It's exactly this reason why I got cold feet and was advised the same by others.

Ps I hope you are well Blackroc and buisness is good. I remeber you well from your alpine white m135i days on the babybmw forum
MAW73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAW73 For This Useful Post:
Blackroc (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #10
Blackroc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 1,069
Thanks: 161
Thanked 735 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAW73 View Post
It's exactly this reason why I got cold feet and was advised the same by others.



Ps I hope you are well Blackroc and buisness is good. I remeber you well from your alpine white m135i days on the babybmw forum

I’m all good thankyou pal - too busy for my own good!

The matte frozen cars look great, they are just a bit high maintenance (just like women)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blackroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors