Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 21-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
DrEskimo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,047 Times in 754 Posts
Been a while...

Hi All,

Well it's been a while!

I have a feeling my post will spark more debate about the car, rather than my detailing, but never mind...!

After selling the Audi S5 I went without a car for about 18months. Wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be (most people reckoned I would have lasted 2weeks...) and I was able to save a tonne of money, so wasn't all bad.

But after so long, I got an itch to own a car again. However, I still commute into London for work, still have access to the Miss Eskimo's Mini (still running with no issues!) and do barely any miles. Justifying buying a car was really difficult, so I started looking into my cheapest options.

After looking at cheap bangers and small petrol hybrids....I decided to take the plunge and went electric, with a 2-yr old 41kWh Renault Zoe. Took a while to find a used 41kWh without the battery lease, but managed to get one from a main dealer at a really good price (used PCP finance to get £1,000 off and 2 free services, and settled in full the next day).

I know there are strong opinions on EVs on here, but to not detract from the detailing, I will just say the car has been great for me, despite not even being able to charge from home. It's appreciated in value and has stupidly low running costs. Obviously it's no Audi S5 (especially in the looks department!), but the instant torque, smooth acceleration with no gears and silence suit my preferences. It's very much a utility car, and an experiment to see how owning an EV works. Suffice to say, I won't be going back to ICE...

But anyway, on to the detailing!

As I say, bought it 6months ago and have just been doing basic washes. Finally got the time to do a full detail yesterday though. I don't do a lot of miles, so it wasn't particularly dirty since it's last basic wash.

Really annoyed as I thought this mark was just surface dirt, but it turns out it was a bit heavier than I thought....

First step was to do the wheels. I hate the wheels and love having an EV with such little brake dust! Used a collection of wheel woolies, brushes and a Dooka wheel mitt to clean them up. Don't bother with wheel shampoo, just use car shampoo...

After all corners done, then a pre-wash using Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam. Not particularly thick, but amazing cleaning ability. Don't bother with anything else. Usually apply with a pump sprayer, but haven't used snow foam in ages so decided to snow foam!

Ordered some new ultra soft brushes from Carbon Collective, and was very happy!

Following a pressure rinse, it was time for the two-bucket wash. My go to shampoo is CarChem 1900:1, with two wash mitts: Dooka washmitt and just a MF wash mitt for the lower sills.

Onto the decontamination phase!

Not a lot of Iron fallout, but a lot of organic material and tar.

After chemical decon, was on to the best bit, clay bar. Bilt Hamber clay warmed up in boiling water to make it nice a playable, and then just used left over foam to foam each panel and clay.

The roof and bonnet were particularly bad.

With the paint completely clean, cleansed and smooth as glass, could finally inspect the paint work and see how much correction was needed.

Despite the scratch mentioned earlier and a couple of blemishes and small stone chips, the paint work was in remarkably good condition for a 2-yr old car. Admittedly, the owner before me only did 5,500 miles, but he must have hand washed it only, as there were barely any swirls or marks on the paint. Most was surface level marring.

First thing I tackled was the scratch, and to play around with different polishes and pads to see what worked. My plan of attack was to use Gyeon Primer as a final polish/prep, as the paint needed very little correction. For these scratches and blemishes, I went for my go to combination of Meguair's MF compound and MF pad. I can't find anything that works as well for me for correction work.

I forgot to take pictures (although hard to pick up on camera anyway), but I was able to massively reduce the scratch appearance. It can only be seen if looking at it, as it's left a slight impression.

It was then at this stage that I remembered I had an EV, and that I could 'fill it up' whilst I did the rest of the polishing! This was done at my parents, and they kindly let me install a charger at their house. Nice perk

Main thing to rectify on the paint work were holograms and general marring. Not very obvious, but there was quite a lot of 'movement' when the sun hit the roof and you change your perspective. Tried to capture it in this picture. Sort of see the marring in front of the antenna.

Some members might remember that I struggle with the refining stage. So I bought a small bottle of Gyeon Primer to use as a finished polish. I used this with a white finishing pad was able to correct the surface marring well, and really helped bring out the metallic flake.

I haven't used this product before, and slightly skeptical that it may be marking the true finish, but I forgot my panel wipe, so I just left it at that. The product claims that the primer can be left 24hr and then a ceramic can be applied directly without a panel wipe....I was going to try today but didn't have time, so might have a go tomorrow.

Any experience with the Gyeon Primer would be very welcome!

Anyway, after doing the entire car, there was just the windows to clean with KKD Klass Kleaner, and to dress the tyres with CarPro Perl.

Time for the money shots!

Nice full battery by the time I finished too (and yes, I have the interior to do still...!).

Just need to apply my ceramic, which is Liquid Elements ECO-Shield. Will update when I get a chance!

Cheers!

Last edited by DrEskimo; 21-07-2019 at 10:34 PM.
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
Bristle Hound (28-07-2019), ColinG (22-07-2019), daydotz (22-07-2019), dchapman88 (24-07-2019), Del-GTi (23-07-2019), DLGWRX02 (24-07-2019), DouglasH (25-07-2019), GSVHammer (23-07-2019), Jack R (23-07-2019), johny555ive (21-07-2019), LostVulpine (23-07-2019), macca666 (24-07-2019), MSwiss (24-07-2019), Soul boy 68 (23-07-2019)
Old 22-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
ColinG
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Nice job, wee car is looking good.
ColinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
maigrait
Sponge Jockey

Looks a nice motor. Hoping to make the leap to leccy myself at some point soon.

The grey looks nice on it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maigrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
DrEskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinG View Post
Nice job, wee car is looking good.
Cheers! Saw your thread on the Jag, and looks great too!

I have to say, moving from a S5 to this, I am thankful at just how wee it is when it comes to full details like this. Bet it took you just as long to polish the bonnet of your XJ, as it did to do my whole Zoe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigrait View Post
Looks a nice motor. Hoping to make the leap to leccy myself at some point soon.

The grey looks nice on it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I like the Grey metallic. I did want black, but glad the one I found was in Grey, as I do prefer it.

Would certainly encourage you to look into EVs. It's very much at the early stages, where each persons use case has to be looked at individually to see if it's a feasible option. I'm pretty active in EV communities, so do let me know if you want any more information
The Following User Says Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
maigrait (25-07-2019)
Old 23-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,488 Times in 4,346 Posts
Looks to have come up lovely. Great job and enjoy the new motor
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (23-07-2019)
Old 23-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
LostVulpine
Sponge Jockey

Lovely work,and as others have said, a lovely little car! Hope she brings you some driving joy!
LostVulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LostVulpine For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (24-07-2019)
Old 23-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Del-GTi
Orbital Oracle

Looks excellent. Great work.

Nice range there! What sort of range do you actually get from it or do you just keep it topped up?
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Del-GTi For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (24-07-2019)
Old 23-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,025 Times in 5,365 Posts
Garage
I can see why the change from S5 to EV, you got to do what's best for you fella, enjoy the car and welcome back
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (24-07-2019)
Old 24-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 20,347 Times in 7,303 Posts
Garage
looks great
Old 24-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
DrEskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-GTi View Post
Looks excellent. Great work.

Nice range there! What sort of range do you actually get from it or do you just keep it topped up?
Thanks

Yea it's got a range high enough that I now don't even think about it. The range estimator is pretty accurate as it adjusts based on your recent driving habits. Since the photo I've covered about 60miles in a mixture of journey types. It's now indicating 115miles left.

Like any car though, it's highly dependent on driving style, temperature, etc. Like petrol, aggressive acceleration and doing a constant 75+MPH will affect range.

I tend to think about it in same terms as a ICE with MPG, but instead use miles/kWh. Winter or motorway driving I tend to get around 3.5miles/kWh, whereas mixed driving/summer I tend to get around 4.5miles/kWh. So with a 41kWh battery, that ranges between 140ish to 180ish miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
Del-GTi (29-07-2019)