Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 15-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #11
v_r_s
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer6 View Post
I have a limescale inhibitor (electrolytic) installed on the main water supply in the house and don't get any limescale in kettle or on the shower head or taps.
I was sceptical that they even work but since installing one 4 years ago I've had no limescale. I fitted a Flomasta limescale inhibitor at my parents' house a month ago and so far they have said that they haven't seen any limescale on taps and kettle. When washing the car I get very bad water spots if there's just a hint of sun around but the water supply that I connect to my pressure washer to doesn't have a limescale inhibitor installed, runs on separate pipework to the house.
Link to limescale inhibitors: https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-p...tors/cat831638
Just checked there's one of them in the pipework. Probably completely knackered now. Not sure how to replace that
v_r_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
Hoppo32
Orbital Oracle

I live in South Yorkshire and our water is terrible.
A kettle lasts 6 - 9 months and we change the iron about once a year, taps last around 3 to 5 years.
As for washing the car i have to keep all the panels wet while washing then run around like a lunatic with the drying towels, i'm pretty much used to this as i've been doing it for many years.
I always have a bottle of FSE handy as well as no matter what i do i always get waterspots on the glass.
I also only buy light coloured cars for this very reason as the panels don't get as hot.
Hoppo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
Kenan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I'm in South Devon and we have hard water. Iv got a water butt which I use for washing/rinsing the car and am considering a DI vessel just concerned how long if will last.
Kenan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,444 Times in 2,136 Posts
Garage
Proper hard in Swindon. According to this, one of the hardest. https://www.scaleguard.co.uk/hard-water-areas.html

Black car, soft paint, bah...

Our water tastes good though, even if a bar of soap hardly lasts a week.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #15
J306TD

Thanked 1,061 Times in 903 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to J306TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
You are not near Shrewsbury, their water is pure lime, a cup of tea leaves your cup stained with a black greasy stain?

We are over the border in Wales, Dee Water Valley use to deliver super smooth water, since the are part of Severn Trent it has become much harder water (I guess they mix the hard Shropshire water with it.
I'm in Shrewsbury and don't think it's that bad. Certainly better than family who live in East Yorkshire

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
J306TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #16
Gixxer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_r_s View Post
Just checked there's one of them in the pipework. Probably completely knackered now. Not sure how to replace that
Yeah, they don't last forever, I've read that it depends on water usage but can be anywhere from 4 years up to 10 years.
I'm also not sure that they would prevent water spots on cars, but they definitely have helped with limescale.
They're not too bad to replace, depending on location and if you have some basic plumbing knowledge, when I fitted the part at my folks house I decided to use push fit connections not primarily because it's easy but for future ease of replacing the unit. My sister had one installed last year for £120 (parts and labour) by a local plumber.
Gixxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #17
alfajim

I live in Northamptonshire on the Bedfordshire boarder. Comes out the taps like rocks. I use barrel water to clean the cars.
alfajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
huvo
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
We have lovely water here in South Manchester - it rolls down the pipes from the Peak District reservoirs and is literally the same source as bottled Buxton Spring Water.

A glass of water from the tap is just crystal clear.

I have honestly never had to descale a kettle my whole life - after 5 or so years when the kettle is knackered there is just the lightest film of discolouration in the bottom - car washing leaves very few light water spots.

A bit similar here in Northern Ireland. The kettle we have must be 10 years old and has just a bit of staining inside. I reckon the amount of rain we get has something to do with it as well as no limestone/chalk bedrock 🌧🌧
huvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #19
atbalfour

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huvo View Post
A bit similar here in Northern Ireland. The kettle we have must be 10 years old and has just a bit of staining inside. I reckon the amount of rain we get has something to do with it as well as no limestone/chalk bedrock ����
Yep.. extremely lucky. My last reading was about 31 out of the tap. Don't have to pay for it either
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #20
Philb1965
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
I'm in South Devon and we have hard water. Iv got a water butt which I use for washing/rinsing the car and am considering a DI vessel just concerned how long if will last.
Probably not that far from you just north of Plymouth and mine is 12ppm on the TDS meter. Just goes to show what a few miles difference can make.
Philb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote