Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 26-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Hamslay
Unwashed Member

Confusion over Surfex-HD

Hi all. I'm new to this so apologies in advance for all the stupid questions heading your way.

In the past I've always cleaned my motorcycles with a product called SDoc 100 gel. You spray it on, agitate it with a brush, leave it a few minutes and then hose it off. Add in the occasional coat of Meguiars wax and some Hot Rims for the wheels and it's done.

I stumbled across the Auto Express review of Surfex-HD where they described it as a shampoo. I called Bilt Hamber, explained how I clean the bike, and asked if Surfex-HD, diluted, would be a good, more economical replacement for the SDoc 100, and could I apply it from a pump sprayer. The bloke said it would be fine for cleaning the bike, and fine in the sprayer.

Having cleaned the bike once, and found it a success, I decide to give the car a blast with the Surfex-HD. I've neglected the car since new, so any wash was a good wash. Again, the results were fine.

However, doing some reading, I'm a bit concerned. Most stuff on here and elsewhere refers to Surfex-HD as a degreaser and APC, not certainly NOT a shampoo of any type. Some advice on other forums states it is unwise to use Surfex-HD on paintwork and says the Auto Express review is nonsense.

So, firstly, am I risking the finish on either the car or the bike using sprayed on, diluted Surfex-HD, a soft brush, and a hose? Can an APC work as a sort of shampoo???

Secondly, what benefits would I see, for either vehicle, of switching to Auto Foam (or similar), followed by a "proper" shampoo applied with a mitt??

Believe it or not, I LOVE maintaining my bikes, but the shampoo and buckets method always seemed a bit old school.

What do you reckon? Be lazy, spray on Surfex-HD and be done, or go back to the drawing board and get some shampoo and buckets? If I do stop using the Surfex-HD as a general purpose bodywork cleaner, where would I use it? I have litres of the stuff!

Thanks in advance. I hope to not appear quite so stupid in future posts!
Hamslay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamslay For This Useful Post:
OGGYsri (26-01-2013)
Old 26-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
OGGYsri
Orbital Oracle

Surfex HD isn't a shampoo. Like you say it's a degreaser. I have used it on trim etc but never as a wash for paintwork.

If used at a low dilution i have read it could stain paintwork.
OGGYsri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
EliteCarCare
Approved DW Trader

Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,785 Posts
Send a message via MSN to EliteCarCare
It's a degreaser/apc, not a shampoo. Probably the best and safest degreaser you'll ever use, amazing on bikes.

You would still need to wash with a shampoo. Autofoam can be used to clean but it's essentially a pre-wash product.

Alex

Contact us on 01628 671213 for friendly advice or to place an order.

EliteCarCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,893 Times in 5,037 Posts
Garage
Surfex IS a degreaser. Bilt hamber do have a shampoo though!

I use surfex on paint no problems, except on heavily oxidised paint where it will eat into the oxidation. Personally auto foam is my fave pre wash for general maintenance, and I add the same amount of surfex to the mix for a "pre detail" wash, followed by a contact wash (shampoo and MIT)

I've never tried surfex as a shampoo, but doubt it would foam in a bucket too well, or be that slick under MIT/sponge
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Will-S
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Not a shampoo
Will-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,011 Times in 2,553 Posts
As others have said, the BH is a great APC. It is nice to see the mention of a OK Wack products here again.
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
chrisc
WHITEVANMAN

Thanked 2,517 Times in 2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
Surfex IS a degreaser. Bilt hamber do have a shampoo though!

I use surfex on paint no problems, except on heavily oxidised paint where it will eat into the oxidation. Personally auto foam is my fave pre wash for general maintenance, and I add the same amount of surfex to the mix for a "pre detail" wash, followed by a contact wash (shampoo and MIT)

I've never tried surfex as a shampoo, but doubt it would foam in a bucket too well, or be that slick under MIT/sponge
superb on white with a big vikan brush on van brings back white's whiter than white
Got that off daz advert but yes gets rid of the grey tinge they tend to get after many miles
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Hamslay
Unwashed Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

So, what does a shampoo do that an APC doesn't? No-one has actually come out and told me to go and buy some buckets yet.

So how about this? Use Auto Foam or similar as pre-wash on both vehicles. Then use Surfex-HD on car wheel arches, bike engine, bike chain fling etc., bike wheels maybe, and then use shampoo and buckets for the paintwork?

Thanks again!
Hamslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,893 Times in 5,037 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamslay View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

So, what does a shampoo do that an APC doesn't? No-one has actually come out and told me to go and buy some buckets yet.

So how about this? Use Auto Foam or similar as pre-wash on both vehicles. Then use Surfex-HD on car wheel arches, bike engine, bike chain fling etc., bike wheels maybe, and then use shampoo and buckets for the paintwork?

Thanks again!
Boom! You got it
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
P.M.J.
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I’m using Surfex HD myself as a pre wash applied from a pump sprayer and consider it wax safe when diluted minimum 20:1. A stronger dilution ratio of 5:1 is very good as an engine degreaser, cleaner for floor mats and tyres e.g.

In Norway, Surfex HD is very popular in the national detailing forum for usage on panels in the same manner as for instance VP Citrus Pre Wash.
P.M.J. is offline   Reply With Quote