Detailing World Forum banner

What's your resting heart rate?

13K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  slim_boy_fat 
#1 ·
My mrs is still struggling a bit with getting back to health after corona so bought a finger oximeter thingy.

At rest, lounging around watching telly etc my oxygen level is 96-98, and my pulse hovers around low 50s but will often dip to high 40s, which starts the machine beeping and flashing.

I know very fit people can have a low heart rate, but I wouldn't class myself as that, I'm on my feet and active all day, but don't really do any specific high load exercise.

I'm not particularly worried about it as I feel fine, and know that 52-54 is normal for me, but the thingy beeping at me has made me think a bit more about it.

What does yours sit at, what's your age / build etc?

I'm 39, 6ft, 72kg ( just under 11 1/2 stone)

#6 ·
6'5' 110kg and mines around 60bpm.

its not just about bmp tho, its abour recovery rates. i can run and it can go upto 120-140 but then recover quickly.

oxygen levels should be 98+, even on most unfit people oxygen is still 98/99. i'd be more concerned about that showing 96 then the bpm?

to be fair, i'd be onto 101 then air chair doctors like us!

disclaimer: im no expert!

ps, hope the wife gets better!

#10 ·
I'm 46. 6'1" and 17st. My resting heart rate is between 56 - 62 bpm according to the health app. With exercise, up to 130-140.

If you're concerned in any way, have chat with your GP. Theyll happily take a call and discuss any of your concerns.

Good luck, and keep well.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#11 ·
See this worries me now. I’m a young lad who plays a lot of football, normally active running and cycling. However with exercise, more so running, my heart rate will be consistently 170-180 and I have all the Garmin data in the world to prove it as I bought a Garmin chest strap monitor as i thought my watch was wrong.

#12 ·
See this worries me now. I'm a young lad who plays a lot of football, normally active running and cycling. However with exercise, more so running, my heart rate will be consistently 170-180 and I have all the Garmin data in the world to prove it as I bought a Garmin chest strap monitor as i thought my watch was wrong.
Don't think there is anything wrong with that heart rate if you are working hard and are young. basic max heart rate is 220 minus your age so if your 20 will be 200, working at 180 due to sprints etc in football is no bad thing.
As said there are lots of factors to consider.

#16 ·
Like the op wife I'm also on the slow recovery from a bad dose of Corona.
Normally a fairly active 50 year old cyclist, 5'11 14 stone
Normal resting heart rate around 65.
Yesterday morning resting heart rate 110bpm! Off to A&E on the advice of 111.
Basically some people take a long time to fully recover.
I hour later O2 level was 95% and BPM 97 with BP of 141/85. Not ideal but having had ECG and bloods they were happy I wasn't and hadn't had a heart attack. Got to have a 24 hour ECG though.

#18 ·
6ft 2", 145kg and find my RHR is usually between 52-60 recently. Big lad but actually quite for my size. Cycle pretty regularly as of last few months, compete in judo, have a dog and do security patrols for work.

Currently studying MSc in sports science and as others have mentioned, many variables at play to consider. Your body does not discriminate from stress, physiologically or psychologically, and this can cause fluctuations in HR. I see someone spoke about night shift changes and get the same. There have been times I have gone to classes after a week of shifts and been denied participation in testing due to blood pressure responses. I've even seen me elevate HR instead of decreasing it just by sitting and alternating breathing patterns.

Oxygen saturation levels will always be around 95-99% around sea level but will start to drop to low 90's when you start operating at increased altitudes. Done some work in hypobaric chambers and you can certainly notice a difference with a drop of just a few %. If you find your levels are quite low just sitting around then might be worth mentioning to a GP.

#20 ·
47, 5'9" and 77kg
RHR according to the Apple Watch over the past year is 73bpm.

I only wear the watch during the day though, and don't wear it at night.

On the odd occasion that I've worn it at night its dropped to 50's.

What's everyone using to measure their resting heart rate, there's some really low numbers on here, you guys must be a lot fitter than me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.