Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
bildo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Send a message via MSN to bildo
Feeling the need to get away, any ideas?

I know that most of us are in a really crappy situation right now, one way or another.

I won't bore you all with my story, but I've been fortunate to have had more work than ever since the day lockdown started. Too much, in fact.

I've been working flat out for several months, and I've kind of realised that I've got nothing planned to look forward to, and the grind of work, sleep, repeat is starting to take its toll.

Last month, I ended my 9-year relationship, as I wasn't happy with the way things were headed for a long time. Various things happened, and we had a pleasant calm and mutual agreement that we were perhaps better off apart.

Now I'm at the point where I want to get away, but I've realised that it's all a bit weird when you don't have someone to go with!

I've spent more time than I'd like around others that I haven't chosen to spend time around lately, and I'm feeling like an escape from the daily grind and monotony of life would do me good.

I'm looking for somewhere basic where I can essentially escape on my own for a few days. I have been looking at 'glamping' huts for convenience (I don't need luxuries, just a bed, and a shower, really.)

The part I don't like about these is that it always seems to have a cluster of huts around other people, where I'd rather just spend some time without screaming and shouting for a bit.

I intend to do quite a bit of hiking, reading, and self-reflecting.

Probably sounds depressing to a lot of people, but I just need to clear my mind.

So - where would you go for a bit of peace and quiet for a few days in the UK right now, without any real complications?
bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
J306TD

Thanked 1,173 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to J306TD
Sorry to hear about your 9 year relationship coming to an end, along with the tough 7 months you've had. I think you're doing the right thing I putting yourself 1st and taking time out.

Have a look either around Cornwall or the South Wales coast. We've been Carmarthenshire a few times with the dog. Plenty of walks and places to explore. Also some very nice beaches. Can recommend a few places to visit.

Maybe have a look at holiday cottages instead as some of these tend to be separate. Also don't refine by size. We booked a 6 sleeper for 2 of us in June 2018 as it was about £200 cheaper than a 2 or 4 sleeper.

Websites to check are either Hoseasons or Holiday Cottages as they have a huge variety to choose from. Plus I've found calling can sometimes end up in a cheaper price.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
J306TD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J306TD For This Useful Post:
bildo (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,298 Times in 2,743 Posts
I'd jump on a plane and fly to Spain, you have the weather and its quite at the moment.
SteveTDCi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
J306TD

Thanked 1,173 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to J306TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
I'd jump on a plane and fly to Spain, you have the weather and its quite at the moment.
Maybe check the coronavirus situation 1st. Been a spike in last 24hrs

J306TD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J306TD For This Useful Post:
bildo (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
bildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J306TD View Post
Sorry to hear about your 9 year relationship coming to an end, along with the tough 7 months you've had. I think you're doing the right thing I putting yourself 1st and taking time out.

Have a look either around Cornwall or the South Wales coast. We've been Carmarthenshire a few times with the dog. Plenty of walks and places to explore. Also some very nice beaches. Can recommend a few places to visit.

Maybe have a look at holiday cottages instead as some of these tend to be separate. Also don't refine by size. We booked a 6 sleeper for 2 of us in June 2018 as it was about £200 cheaper than a 2 or 4 sleeper.

Websites to check are either Hoseasons or Holiday Cottages as they have a huge variety to choose from. Plus I've found calling can sometimes end up in a cheaper price.

Thank you mate, no need for sympathy. I am fully grateful that I have been very fortunate to have had a job, and my family and friends have stayed healthy.

Everything happens for a reason in life, and the relationship wasn't meant to be. I will be better for it in the long run.

I have been to both Cornwall and South Wales, both stunning places and definitely on my considerations list. Have you found any places that are a bit 'off the grid'?

I'm tempted to get one of these shed type things, as it would put me a bit out of my comfort zone, just not sure if I'd end up regretting it!

I will definitely take a look at your site recommendations, I haven't heard of either, so that's very useful - thanks a lot!
The Following User Says Thank You to bildo For This Useful Post:
J306TD (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
andy665

Thanked 5,542 Times in 3,000 Posts
We have booked privately owned lodges through here for the last 5 years:

www.lakedistrictlodgeholidays.co.uk - the service is exceptionally good - hence why we keep using them

We always stay at White Cross Bay but there own lodges (its a Parkdean location) are not as nice and more expensive than booking a privately owned one. We are staying in the same lodge for the 4th year running, we have considered buying one but at White Cross Bay you are looking at 1/4 million for a decent lodge and pitch - a bit rich for us

Also know that Limefitt Park just a couple of miles away and that is even quieter but you do not have the lake side location

We keep going to the Lake District every year, not especially cheap but you have loads to do but also never far away from complete isolation and breathtaking scenery - my 12 year old son has no desire to go abroad anymore - its him who just automatically asks to go back to the Lakes

Last edited by andy665; 25-07-2020 at 12:40 PM.
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
bildo (25-07-2020), nbray67 (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
bildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
No planes, thank you. I frequently visit a 99-year old relative, and whatever people's thoughts are on the current situation, I am avoiding any risks to the best of my ability.
Old 25-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
bildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
We have booked privately owned lodges through here for the last 5 years:

www.lakedistrictlodgeholidays.co.uk - the service is exceptionally good - hence why we keep using them

We always stay at White Cross Bay but there own lodges (its a Parkdean location) are not as nice and more expensive than booking a privately owned one. We are staying in the same lodge for the 4th year running, we have considered buying one but at White Cross Bay you are looking at 1/4 million for a decent lodge and pitch - a bit rich for us

Also know that Limefitt Park just a couple of miles away and that is even quieter but you do not have the lake side location

We keep going to the Lake District every year, not especially cheap but you have loads to do but also never far away from complete isolation and breathtaking scenery - my 12 year old son has no desire to go abroad anymore - its him who just automatically asks to go back to the Lakes
Thanks, Andy.

I'm extremely fond of the Lake District, and it's fantastic to hear that your 12-year-old appreciates it more than going abroad.

I really appreciate the recommendations, I'll take a look into them shortly. Thank you!
Old 25-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
nbray67
DW Superstar

Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,729 Posts
Garage
Hire yourself a nice camper/motorhome and take off up to Scotland and do part/all of the NC500.

Your own place to eat/drink/sleep and a different view daily with lots of outdoor space to walk/cycle in.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
bildo (25-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
bildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
Hire yourself a nice camper/motorhome and take off up to Scotland and do part/all of the NC500.

Your own place to eat/drink/sleep and a different view daily with lots of outdoor space to walk/cycle in.
I did this last year and absolutely loved it.

Scotland has been very high on my consideration list, I just wish it wasn't so damn far away!