Detailing World Forum banner

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

366K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  JordanRaven 
#1 ·
So, I still have the 330, but it will be listed for sale imminently, due to my new purchase. If you haven't gathered from the title, then shame on you :lol:

Been looking to replace the car for a long time and always changing my mind about the car that would take its place. Finally decided on a pre facelift XFR, I prefer the look of them to the facelift, not sure why...Bonus is they're typically cheaper :driver:

I wanted a high spec model, which was more of a focus that condition (obviously condition was a factor, didn't want a dog, but much easier to rectify condition that spec typically and cheaper)...

After a couple of weeks of searching (and missing out on one a few miles away) I found a listing for one on Auto Trader that had all of the spec I wanted, and more! It was very well priced, it had a few cosmetic shortcomings, but nothing woeful, only downside was that it was in Sheffield. That's a long way from home :wall:

Made a couple of phone calls to the dealer to check a few things, very helpful and pleasant, decided to book a train and go up to view it:

Checked the car over and transferred the funds, was then an XFR owner! Filled the car up with fuel and headed down to Peterborough to my friends house so we could look it over and start compiling a plan of action, or at least somewhat of a plan!

The car has been owned from new by 1 person, it has full JLR dealer service history, however it seems the person concerned didn't retain the invoices :(

I will try and obtain the details of the owner (for the second key, any other documentation and also to return items that they left in the car). I will also try and contact JLR for records of works completed as their online service history tracker doesn't bear any results :wall: failing that I'll contact each dealer noted in the history individually...

Before that though, took it on a drive on some rural roads and got the first photo opportunity:

As you can see, nice enough looking car, just needs some TLC and love, but I didn't want a car that required some work because otherwise I'd be bored :lol:

Whilst looking it over, one of the rear shelf speakers had failed, panic stations as the car has the bower and Wilkins setup and thought here the first premium price comes... panic avoided as the speaker was readily available on eBay and very cheaply at that!

My friend being the audio person of the duo decided to access the speaker to confirm part number (before we ordered and disconnect it to stop the noise (it was ghastly).

Here are the many stages of getting there: (although forums say 40 minutes, but took him about half that to disconnect and reassemble:

Trying to pry grille (don't do this, it's wrong! He didn't break it though)

Seat belt clip off:

Further disassembly of many things:

Taking advantage of the big boot:

Et voila:

Got the part number:

Unplugged for now, and then reassembled... easy enough for him to do again :lol:

Then he noticed that the rear vents were not sitting correctly in their cover, they'd sunken inward (although his hands are there we hadn't touched anything yet:

Removed the trim:

Re seated and reassembled:

One of the things that I noticed was the need for some rear pads, although the discs have evidently been changed, took a visit to brembo site to find the correct fitment:

Ordered the pads...

I then journeyed home, enjoyed the car, compiled information etc.

Skip ahead to today, after I did life things (yawn), I went to go and get the car aligned, it desperately needed it! One of the wheels was so far out that it didn't read on the gauge...

Whilst it was there I checked the underside for any nasties and took the height change opportunity to picture some cosmetic issues that I need to address...

Below are all of the pictures of the underside I took, no damage to report of, some replaced parts and some requirement for some aesthetic improvements...

Here are the cosmetics I noticed there:

The bumpers aren't pictured, but they need repairing, I'm contemplating buying a pair of bare bumpers and having them painted...

When I returned home I had a parcel, it was one of those signal blocking things, to stop the key being scanned and car started...

Decided to make a start on some of the smaller pieces to do, starting with the rusty locking wheel nuts:

Wire brushed, sanded down and then etch primed:

Painted silver:

Fitted:

Then to start with a gritty engine bay:

The trim pieces and seals have many many many clips , a couple of which were broken, many of which had not been reassembled correctly;

As you can see from the above there were many things wrong, but I corrected them and it's much better now... located all of the missing clips on eBay to replace them.

Cracked on with cleaning the bay:

Then treated the plastics:

Then cleaned the metal part:

The tailpipes are in very poor cosmetic shape...

Used a pick to remove the tar between the 2 pipes:

Started with the wire will and the metal polish:

As you can see there's a marked improvement, however there's still a lot to do with them. That took about half an hour and I was bored senseless! I will continue to improve them over time, any tips appreciated :wall:

Here's a copy of the build sheet:

As with other project threads I have, I will update as and when I have something worth updating...

There are many things I have planned to do to the car, some of which are more urgent than others and some more involved tasks...

All seems well so far :thumb:

See less See more
#366 ·
Finally got round to a tiny change, the drivers door handle (a very redundant feature that was removed from a lot of cars) being swapped to something more practicable...

Firstly had to open up the flaps covering the screws:

Remove the screws:

Which allows the handle to fall away:

Fit the glasses holder in its place:

And whack the aviators in there:

Easy enough to do and stops the glasses case sliding around in the door card! The case is foam lined so should stop much movement and prevent scratching

#373 ·
Had several parcels arrive today, most of which were car related... Memo holder:

Paint touch up kit with hypodermic needles in order to either apply the paint mixture or to put it into the applicator pen I bought recently:

And then a couple of genuine boxes:

Containing this:

That will make for a fun update in the warmer time of year!

#378 ·
Is it just me that has a good main dealer? Car never gets washed as service guy is a keen weekend warrior.

Any issues are discussed and priced before work is done. Always easy to contact too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm sure there are good ones, but I'm not sure if any are near me... although I thought my local bmw was bad (so much so that the whole franchise now no longer exists), but dear god, today made me wish I was back at the BMW dealership

#386 ·
Started to change the front badge yesterday, got the badge off, revealing the disc of adhesive:

Pulled the adhesive off very easily:

Cleaned up with IPA:

Then this:

Looks like I made a mistake buying the badge :lol: old one refitted with new adhesive...

Touched up some paint on the wing:

Onto the writing on the car, very dirty:

IPA came back out...

Cleaned up:

Painted with the same paint used for the badge:

Not sure I'll keep it on the wings to be honest...

But definitely keeping it here:

The writing is much deeper on the bonnet vents which is probably why it looks better

#387 ·
Little bit of an update from this morning, got a job removed from the list (well it needs a little more work but mostly done).

I received this in the post:

This is for the genuine organiser and also this:

This is what I am going to use to hold a cleaning kit for the car and also perhaps some of the other items from the organiser.

Then it was onto changing over the rear door at long last, now the weather forecast showed a light change of rain between 8am and 9am; enlisted the help of a work colleague for the lifting of the door.

Before he arrived I started to remove the door card, cover for the lower screws in the grab handle area:

Upper screw cover in the standard place:

Both removed revealing the fixings; T25 upper:

2 x T30 lower:

Large trim tool to aid in removing the door card by popping the clips out, FYI easier to start at the bottom and do a few then there is enough room to get a hand in and pull the card free:

Removal of the 2 x 10mm bolts that go through the locating dowels, the e10 bolt holding the check strap in, and disconnecting the single plug. Door now ready for the garage:

Replacement door hung:

Swapped the old door card onto the new door:

The door functions were tested and working fine:

The door seal needs replacing, looks like a full trim removal job. Will take my old seal as it is fine and change that:

The weather has very much turned once more though, means it will have to wait for another day!

Glad that the door is finally done though. Next big project are the pair of bumpers, including the diffuser for the rear and making the front take a removable plate setup with magnets.

#388 ·
Removed the seal from my old door this morning:

It has been stored more appropriately so that the bends in the rubber are accommodated. It needs a ruddy good cleaning, then I'll treat it. Looks simple enough to fit, but will be very fiddly indeed! Certainly need to wait for this dreadful weather to pass, and I'll have limited time at home in the coming weeks due to work.

I also went to change the valance on the replacement bumper to the replacement with diffuser...

Seems though there are 2 fixing types in the old one:

Will have to use the Dremel carefully around the plastic welded parts, then clip in the replacement and potentially I will also have to bond it in place. I have plans for early afternoon so not starting that.

#394 ·
Finally found, ordered and received the last mount:

Now have both engine mounts and the rear/box mount...

Also, after forcing the car to read the oil level through opening the bonnet to circumvent the idiotic electronic dipstick, topped up the oil:

Drove to Canvey to collect something for the next project:

Another parcel arrived:

They go in these gaps, makes them functional:

In place:

Handy little pockets:

#398 ·
So when I arrived at Excalibur Cottage (the name given to my friends' residence) the weather has improved significantly, so we did a couple of things.

First on the list was to remove the valance from the replacement bumper so it can take the replacement valance and diffuser setup! As show previously it has plastic welds in addition to the tabs. Out came the trusty Dremel, and with a little bit of encouragement from a flat head, voila:

Next up, the damage to the diffuser, whilst only slight it is something that I am in a position to rectify:

Separated the diffuser from the valance, no plastic welding here,
Only tabs:

Here you can see the dents from the inside of the diffuser:

Compared to what they should look like:

Heat gun out:

Large flat surface to push the dent out:

Much improved:

Whilst the finish was affected, the actual dent was reduced significantly... the paint finish will be rectified at the body shop!

All bumper pieces left with my friend:

The other project needs a visit to the body shop, so hopefully this week we will get a timeframe for the bumpers and other project to be completed! Then I will go up in the Jag and hopefully get the bumpers changed and a fair chunk of project work done at the same time...

#399 ·
I have ordered a replacement phone as mine is getting old and performance is becoming a problem... I had the battery replaced for a genuine one about 6 months ago for a nominal fee which helped it through but it is over 3 years old now.

I have ordered a new printed phone holder, charger cable and the like, the phone is on Pre order. I’ll see if I can make the phone mount ahead of phones arrival so I can have a seamless swap.

#400 ·
I have ordered a replacement phone as mine is getting old and performance is becoming a problem... I had the battery replaced for a genuine one about 6 months ago for a nominal fee which helped it through but it is over 3 years old now.

I have ordered a new printed phone holder, charger cable and the like, the phone is on Pre order. I'll see if I can make the phone mount ahead of phones arrival so I can have a seamless swap.
What phone you getting?

#404 ·
Got this today:

It is another extension for the pressure washer, this is so I can get all the way under the car with the water broom setup! The only thing I have left to work out is if there's a way to have an in-line bottle to put in between to feed product (degreaser mainly) through to the broom head. In essence a snow foam bottle but with a 1/4" quick connect fitting both ends.

This also arrived:

Crazy quick service!

Tiny bits of additional plastic:

Removal:

I'll likely do the same as previous and put some satin wrap on top and make it a charging holder. No phone for several weeks though so will be an update at a much later date...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.