Detailing World Forum banner

Henry_b's Range Rover P38

213K views 791 replies 62 participants last post by  enc 
#1 · (Edited)
i'm 17 s p38 nut/enthusiastic enthusiast

However when a p38 rears its head for reasonable money you don't turn it down.

What is it with me and cheap cars?? :devil:

Anywhoo here's my P38 Warts and all.

Spec's wise.

Monte Carlo Blue Metallic exclusive to 2001-2002 run out P38s :thumb:

Lightstone leather seats with electric headrests

2 person memory

4.6 Rover V8 225hp

4spd ZF auto

BRC sequential LPG injection system. makes 13mpg tolerable :)

18" Comet alloys

6CD changer

Harman Kardon 12 Speaker Surround Sound with 2 subwoofers and 5 amps and a 6 Disc Changer

Electric sunroof

Air con

Dual zone climate control

heated front screen

heated rear screen

Multi function steering wheel

Cruise control

etc etc :thumb:

Anyway here she is after a Mission about in some fields to 'er test the suspension

See less See more
#695 ·
Thanks Bud. :thumb:

HVAC works a treat however the condenser fan(s) are not working same as your E39!

The 17" Engine fan seems to keep everything cool, however the condenser fan usually run on low with the A/C on to aid in cooling the condenser, they also go full blast if the engine temp goes above 105c, :devil:

So a new set are coming my way, and by new I mean USED! :D

I've removed the grill in preparation..

The bumper has to come off too but i'll do that when they come!

#697 ·
Right..

where was I!

Oh yes A/C condenser fans! :p

Luckily on evilbay there are several recourses for P38 parts, mainly because most people get sick of them and part them out! :devil:

£20 later and a week of waiting!

we have a box of tricks. :lol:

Removal of the old fans couldn't of been easier, upper rad cover off first.

And then spent 2hrs "no joke" pulling and hammering on the bumper, because it has to come forward, anyway I got there in the end luckily all the bolts relented. :doublesho :wave:

Fitting of the other unit was again very easy, however a little upgrade was to replace all the securing bolts with some nice T40s I had left over from a transmission service, far nicer fastener than the crusty old bolts. :lol:

Only issue is cosmetically the "new" fans look shyte! :lol:

So with just right right amount of product I gave them a going over :doublesho

First up some scrapy scrapy and brushy brushy was in order to knock off the rust chunks. :)

The some "Kurust" which as we all know does fook all, apart from turning black.

Which it does if you knock it on plastic/fiberglass or indeed anything! :D

Lets face it anything that says "enviromentally friendly" is going to be useless :lol:

Where was I?

Oh yes,

And after that Kurust set I gave them a coat of silver paint, from 66.3ft it looks 1/2 decent, so long as you have your back to it and eyes closed. :lol:
And here are some complete pics after a quick body wipe over. :buffer:

:)

After all this she decided to idle at 7300rpm :rolleyes:

A quick removal and clean of the IACV got everything right.

:driver:

#700 ·
Excellent post, really glad you got this sorted!

Love your attention to detail, tidying up the old fans.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Starbuck88
#701 ·
Got some free time on the P38 the last few days..

It is no secrest we're slipping in to winter quite quickly, temps dropping and everything else that goes with it. ;)

Salt etc etc

My P38 is quite solid underneath, however she had some surface rust starting to show through..

A legacy from her days near the sea. :lol:

Before Pics. :devil:

Not many because of the terrible weather, and yes I know "excuses!!" :lol:

During this is a coat of rust converter. :lol:

I did "almost" bare metal any and all rust, luckily it was all cosmetic none of it had eaten in to the steel which was a bonus :D

Here is the "after" ;)

Does it look good?

No :doublesho :D

However I have some excuses lined up...

#1 - I was working on the dusty driveway and I needed her on the road ASAP
#2 - It only takes 2 hrs to split a P38 in two so that will happen in the future to have the chassis blasted.
#3 - She just needs some good thick protection for the coming winter..

What I find odd is my exhaust, it is tarnished like all hell from god knows what.

304 grade stainless Janspeed exhaust looks like it has taken a salt bath. :( :devil:

Anyway I'm sure some autosol would sort it out! :lol:

Ok.

To add some prettiness to this variable horro show here are some of the old girl after a date with the DA ;)

:lol: :thumb:

#702 ·
Ahh the joys of P38 ownership...

Upon jumping in to the beast yesterday I was greeted with a very unenthusiastic starter motor.

So up the bonnet goes and the battery is the primary suspect, checking the voltage it showed 12.6v which is good..

However it still wouldn't start..

So out with the battery load tester, upon testing it shows that the 1000cca battery only has 50cca to give, it is junk!! :lol: :confused:

Only 1yr old..

oh well..

I've done some research in to batteries for the P38 and have decided on a nice Yuasa unit, which i'll order soon.. :doublesho :D

A cursory parasistic draw test shows nothing untoward, and she goes to sleep like she should. :lol: "sounds human lol" bloody thing. :lol:

As per detailing fashion I gave her a quick going over inside and out.. :eek:

Seats were all clean apart from the passenger side front for whatever reason, so that was scrubbed up! :driver:

Oh and this happened.

Better.

Ahh.

BETTER! :lol:

The carpet seems to have lost all its colour I assume from the sun exposure

#707 ·
Many thanks Mark, i'm biased! :thumb:

Thats awful for a new battery, glad you sussed it out quickly.

The interior is looking very nice.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Thanks Chris, modern batteries seems to not last too long, my new Yuasa should last a good while

Car batteries are so fragile yet cost so much!

As above, Interior is looking nice Henry!
Thanks buddy, £120 wasted, hopefully the new battery lasts! :thumb:

#709 ·
Service time again for the old bus..

Only 600mi since the last oil change but the past few changes have been to flush out the junk inside the motor, I prefer that as opposed to engine flush additives. :thumb:

This time a quality synthetic.

15mm Sump plug, luckily atleast half of the downpour went in the drain pan :lol:

Old filter luckily only hand tight spun right off ;)

New filter primed up with new oil and refitted.

New juice poured in and the verdict is good, she seems very quiet on the new stuff, I suppose it could be my imagination! ;)

#720 · (Edited)
It has been a while without an update not much has happened to the old girl.

Still being driven.

recently however I parked her in the wrong place at the wrong time, under a tree, unfortunately a branch fell and caved in the corner of the roof. :wall: :censored:

No pics infortunately as I was too busy being angry with myself, however using a cheap dent repair kit and some patience I got it back to presentable.

You can just about see a small dent and damage to the plastic trim :wall:

She's getting closer to needing a complete overhaul. :D

Out and about however she still looks ok'ish.

:doublesho

#723 ·
The Old Girl has been running faithfully over the past few months.

Her MOT runs out in 11days, and I'm contemplating whether to take her off the road for a refresh as she needs a few things doing, or i'll throw her in for one and see what happens.

Namely I think she has a slight headgasket leak, as there is a trail of coolant she tends to leave droplets when she parks! :lol:

A few pictures of her out and about. :thumb:

£1.55ppl trying to fill a 22gallon tank getting all a bit much. :wall:

Anyway.

Still looks presentable :driver:

#732 ·
22 gallons?! Pfft!! My Land Cruiser takes 180 litres which, if my maths is correct, is just shy of 40 imperial gallons. The biggest problem is finding things to amuse yourself during fills. It takes a while unless you can find a fast-fill pump. On the plus side, a tank full will take you over 1100 miles.

#726 ·
I'm gutted to read about not only the tree branch, but also the potential head gasket leak - I hope you get this sorted easily.

Such a beautiful example this, I absolutely love the colour.

Reactions: Henry_b