Detailing World Forum banner

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

366K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  JordanRaven 
#1 ·
So, I still have the 330, but it will be listed for sale imminently, due to my new purchase. If you haven't gathered from the title, then shame on you :lol:

Been looking to replace the car for a long time and always changing my mind about the car that would take its place. Finally decided on a pre facelift XFR, I prefer the look of them to the facelift, not sure why...Bonus is they're typically cheaper :driver:

I wanted a high spec model, which was more of a focus that condition (obviously condition was a factor, didn't want a dog, but much easier to rectify condition that spec typically and cheaper)...

After a couple of weeks of searching (and missing out on one a few miles away) I found a listing for one on Auto Trader that had all of the spec I wanted, and more! It was very well priced, it had a few cosmetic shortcomings, but nothing woeful, only downside was that it was in Sheffield. That's a long way from home :wall:

Made a couple of phone calls to the dealer to check a few things, very helpful and pleasant, decided to book a train and go up to view it:

Checked the car over and transferred the funds, was then an XFR owner! Filled the car up with fuel and headed down to Peterborough to my friends house so we could look it over and start compiling a plan of action, or at least somewhat of a plan!

The car has been owned from new by 1 person, it has full JLR dealer service history, however it seems the person concerned didn't retain the invoices :(

I will try and obtain the details of the owner (for the second key, any other documentation and also to return items that they left in the car). I will also try and contact JLR for records of works completed as their online service history tracker doesn't bear any results :wall: failing that I'll contact each dealer noted in the history individually...

Before that though, took it on a drive on some rural roads and got the first photo opportunity:

As you can see, nice enough looking car, just needs some TLC and love, but I didn't want a car that required some work because otherwise I'd be bored :lol:

Whilst looking it over, one of the rear shelf speakers had failed, panic stations as the car has the bower and Wilkins setup and thought here the first premium price comes... panic avoided as the speaker was readily available on eBay and very cheaply at that!

My friend being the audio person of the duo decided to access the speaker to confirm part number (before we ordered and disconnect it to stop the noise (it was ghastly).

Here are the many stages of getting there: (although forums say 40 minutes, but took him about half that to disconnect and reassemble:

Trying to pry grille (don't do this, it's wrong! He didn't break it though)

Seat belt clip off:

Further disassembly of many things:

Taking advantage of the big boot:

Et voila:

Got the part number:

Unplugged for now, and then reassembled... easy enough for him to do again :lol:

Then he noticed that the rear vents were not sitting correctly in their cover, they'd sunken inward (although his hands are there we hadn't touched anything yet:

Removed the trim:

Re seated and reassembled:

One of the things that I noticed was the need for some rear pads, although the discs have evidently been changed, took a visit to brembo site to find the correct fitment:

Ordered the pads...

I then journeyed home, enjoyed the car, compiled information etc.

Skip ahead to today, after I did life things (yawn), I went to go and get the car aligned, it desperately needed it! One of the wheels was so far out that it didn't read on the gauge...

Whilst it was there I checked the underside for any nasties and took the height change opportunity to picture some cosmetic issues that I need to address...

Below are all of the pictures of the underside I took, no damage to report of, some replaced parts and some requirement for some aesthetic improvements...

Here are the cosmetics I noticed there:

The bumpers aren't pictured, but they need repairing, I'm contemplating buying a pair of bare bumpers and having them painted...

When I returned home I had a parcel, it was one of those signal blocking things, to stop the key being scanned and car started...

Decided to make a start on some of the smaller pieces to do, starting with the rusty locking wheel nuts:

Wire brushed, sanded down and then etch primed:

Painted silver:

Fitted:

Then to start with a gritty engine bay:

The trim pieces and seals have many many many clips , a couple of which were broken, many of which had not been reassembled correctly;

As you can see from the above there were many things wrong, but I corrected them and it's much better now... located all of the missing clips on eBay to replace them.

Cracked on with cleaning the bay:

Then treated the plastics:

Then cleaned the metal part:

The tailpipes are in very poor cosmetic shape...

Used a pick to remove the tar between the 2 pipes:

Started with the wire will and the metal polish:

As you can see there's a marked improvement, however there's still a lot to do with them. That took about half an hour and I was bored senseless! I will continue to improve them over time, any tips appreciated :wall:

Here's a copy of the build sheet:

As with other project threads I have, I will update as and when I have something worth updating...

There are many things I have planned to do to the car, some of which are more urgent than others and some more involved tasks...

All seems well so far :thumb:

See less See more
#44 ·
There wasn't one on it, will look into part number if there's supposed to be one...

Yes, just making sure it is looked after so that if I ever do have to use it then it isn't a challenge. It was rather difficult to use at first, nice and smooth and easy now though

#45 ·
With much better weather for it, I decided to crack on and machine the car this morning... Just wanted to get an acceptable finish, still have some swirls and defects. Had to pick my nephew up from school so time was of the essence...

Started on the rear quarter pictured earlier, here's a large mark:

A soft 50:50 of the first pass of cutting on the rear quarter, a little more clarity on the left:

Under the light, decent amount of fleck:

Light across the 50:50 showing quite a swirly quarter:

Bootlid swirls:

The other rear quarter has had paintwork, as has the whole driver side at some point, decided to do a little flatting:

Again, was going for improvement over perfection, and even thinswas it close with timing:

First pass:

Again:

Light bit on upper door:

A good picture for showing the condition of the paintwork:

First pass:

Again:

Mark on the passenger wing:

Light sanding:

Much better:

Rear passenger door:

Light sanding:

Post polish (don't understand why it rotated):

I did a light pass of finishing polish across the car, there was dust everywhere from the cutting stages so gave it a touchless wash:

Car looks decent:

Will see the true finish tomorrow run the sun is out:

#50 ·
Up and out early this morning, cleaned the glass and then thought I'd get a layer of wax on the car, got the wax case out:

Here are some post shots in early morning sunlight:

The bad quarter pictured previously:

Happy with the results of the work to be fair, definite improvements made, equally improvement to still be had, but it'll do, definitely for now at least

#52 ·
I think it did, I found a cigar in the boot and it the car had a faint whiff of tobacco, which has since gone... not smoked in smell, but the smell of unburnt tobacco.

I got mine from eBay, cheap model that had a uk postage option as opposed to waiting from source.

If you're anywhere near where I am you're welcome to borrow it...

Just noticed Cornwall, nowhere near

#56 ·
Popped into my local Volvo dealer for the part, they had no parts staff in so had to ring another dealer about 20 or so miles away to handle their parts stuff... kept giving the part number, then gave them the reg upon their request, told them it isn’t a Volvo...

They said the reg was wrong, it wasn’t. Gave them the old reg, didn’t work either, told them the reg is irrelevant anyway because it won’t show up as it’s jaguar, went back to part number, was questioned why I was ordering it :confused:

Anyway, persisted with the conversation and got it order for tomorrow for £2.16, a lot of effort when I’d already given them the hard part of part number :rolleyes:

Probably be the last Jag task completed for a couple of weeks, most of the jobs left are either completely non urgent, time consuming/difficult or proportionately expensive (especially front bumper!).

Checked back over the panels again today, I need to machine the rear bumper because it is noticeably lacking in clarity in comparison, and the painted rear quarter could do with some more flatting. Job for another day!

#57 ·
Glad you got the cover sorted, I am unsure why they need to make it so difficult.

It's the same wherever you go, unless they know you, they just assume you're an idiot and must have the wrong part number.

Always happens when I have ordered parts for the same brand! Funnily enough I ordered a HPFP for a Peugeot from BMW and they were actually better and more accommodating than Peugeot!

#61 ·
It's not like I'm asking them to take responsibility of sourcing the correct part, as long as they provide the part that I've requested the onus is on myself to ensure it was correct!

I'm sure they'll be miffed if I ever need a window switch pack or the like (also Volvo parts)...

But at least it looks like I'll be getting the part tomorrow! Every time I've gone into a car dealer I've had a poor service, irrespective of the manufacturer, most of their comms is woeful too!

Got to go to a jaguar dealer to look at getting an additional key, no doubt that'll be an absolute farce! Closest one is a good half hour drive away too :wall:

#60 ·
Had a couple of parcels arrive:, firstly paint:

Pretty sure the only thing I'll be using this on is the superficial damage to the side skirts... want the paintwork to be spot on at some point in the future so won't be doing much myself on that front! Also it door edges need doing then I'll have it ready.

And a better pre wash regimen, got a new Lance arriving tomorrow also:

One of the foam bottles is a gift, not doubling up on those :detailer:

#63 ·
Yesterday I got the part from Volvo, that was fun, took their time about it, but got it nonetheless:

Fitted it this morning:

Nice easy task for a change...

Currently in GSF getting parts quote, looks like I'll be going elsewhere unless the discs they're trying to locate are very cheap...

#64 ·
Went and collected parts today, got given a trolley to take them to the car :lol:

In the boot... they missed off some stuff and gave me some wrong bits, but sorted that out:

Changed the wiper blades today, no point picturing that though! They weren't split of anything, just evidently worn

#65 ·
Try autodoc its on android playstore u just put in ur car details and up comes every part tht fits its fantastic company used them few times even with delivery chargw they can still be cheaper than euros with a diacpunt weekend on. Only fing is av to wait few days or a week for delivery online order only but very gd prices

#68 ·
With the lack of invoices around the work carried out on the car, I decided to have a quick look at the state of the air filters...

Definitely due a change, but they aren't woeful... OEM supplier of the filters too so looks like the work has been getting carried out at least!

This is the oil filter housing:

Will need to get a different tool to remove that, as mine will be too harsh on the plastic :( A rubber lined band of some sort will likely be the type to go for

Found another piece of bodywork to address:

Small blister, also need to address the dirty etc in that area, but that's not a big disaster.

One point on the car is that the boot does not automatically lift, but it is possible to get it to do so, this is how far the boot moves up when unlocked:

These caps press against the hinges, springing open the lid:

You pull the plastic cap out:

You then put a washer on the cap:

Then refit:

This is with one side having one washer:

This is what it looks like with a washer on each side:

and this is what it looks like with 2 washers on each side:

Unfortunately I could not get it to lift by itself, as the caps really are rather short and getting 2 washers on them required a bit of 'fettle'.

Others have also reported infrequent success with this method, however there are others available, they just require minimal investment and ordering the parts, which I will do at a later date! Only tried this way because it was a few minutes and already had the washers.

In news of finding previous owner details, I found an invoice in the car folder with an address for the owner. I have written a letter on the off-chance that it is still their address now. If not, nothing lost... :car:

#71 ·
Had a little delivery for the car today:

Looking forward to using this as part of a chunk of work making the underside pretty once again. I will be using Bilt Hamber products for rust treatment, as I do not want to test its claim about painting over rust directly.

Working on getting long term access to a ramp to really get stuck in with the underside, that will help no end and will let me enjoy the process a lot more than if I have to do it laying on my back

#74 ·
Watching this thread with interest as I'm considering buying one of these early next year.

How are you finding it fuel wise and is it your daily driver.

Did you look at many before buying this one.
It is my daily driver, only car I own (well own another but it is being sold), I am getting 17.5mpg currently. But I am driving it down back roads to work, and in heavy traffic. When I was using it whilst off work I was getting closer to 19, but it certainly is a way from being economical even for petrol.

This is the first one I saw in person, however I wanted a car that was of a certain spec (this is higher than I wanted as a minimum but only the second of about 25 I found that met it). I also wanted one that needed work doing, because I enjoy making a difference, but made sure it was priced accordingly. It wasn't seal of the century and I'm sure some wouldn't have paid what I paid but was happy to.

Looking for common issues in terms of mechanics there weren't too many and they're "normal" problems I'd say

#75 ·
XKR was just a bit too rich for me, but they're definitely a looker! I'd say they're more of second car to me, but I wouldn't say no to one...

Yeah, around me there are plenty of XF, just yet to see an R but have seen XKR and F Type R recently.

Tuscan is as you say left, bold but must be a bundle of fun!

Thanks, looking forward to updating and progressing

#76 ·
On the way home I picked up some bits, going to try and remove a lot of the caked on crud from the exhaust:

This combination works well on tarnished stainless steel so hoping it has some effect on the state they're in now...

Came home to a few parcels, the first of which is a new tool:

Will help me get the oil filter off without marking the housing, my tools would chew it up!

Some self tappers, these are the alternative solution for the boot:

Then I got a present :argie:

This is the box:

Slide the cover off:

Open the lid:

And aerial view:

Very happy with that!

#77 ·
Well, this afternoon led to little success! The bleach didn’t touch the staining, the auto boot change failed before it began as I don’t have a 3mm drill bit...

I then tidied the garage quickly, and decided to strip and clean the foam lance as I have a new gauze, stripped it all down but there was no gunk or detritus to be seen...

It’s annoying the tips are welded otherwise I’d run them to a metalworks round the corner from work for a proper polish treatment!

Back to the drawing board for now, I do plan on replacing the exhaust at some point but I want these looking presentable in the meantime as the backbox is a large sum!

#78 ·
Decided to try and finish the auto opening boot, so put some self tappers in place of the plastic caps:

This is how far it now opens:

Will have to fully lubricate the hinges and perhaps change the gas struts to get it work correctly!

Checked that my attachment range for my vacuum drainer had one that would slide over the central pipe in the oil cap area, this is how they're drained at dealers apparently:

Lovely and snug, will be testing out fully soon I hope.

Under the bonnet still had a fair way to go, here are the state of the bolts:

I pulled 24 bolts out this morning, 7 from each air box, 3 from each air intake 2 from the front bumper and one from each side holding brackets in place, all requiring cleaning up.

The 2 bumper bolts:

One of the bumper bolts started to get rubbed down:

Air box bolt being rubbed down:

Some of the bolts starting to be pushed into box for treatment:

Rust treatment on:

Zinc primer on them:

Satin black on all bolts with exception to the 2 bumper bolts (they need to be body colour):

2 bumper bolts body colour:

Air box shows the effects of the bolts on it:

As the air boxes were unbolted and removed for cleaning, changed the air filters:

New one in place:

With airbox out of the way can easily see the power steering fluid bottle:

Looks clean in there:

Used the syringe to inspect the fluid:

Looks nice and red, which is good to see!

Cleaned up the air box before putting it back in place:

#79 ·
Checked the iPod connectivity after the Bluetooth didn't work:

As this works fine, I've invested in a much more expensive version of Bluetooth connector that has been reported to work where the type I bought failed... if not, I'll have to send it back but hoping it works!

#83 ·
The tailpipes are welded on otherwise I would have definitely had them off for easier cleaning or maybe even taken them to a metalworks

For the parts thanks for the offer but will be holding fire on those for a while, want to get bodywork in order as well as fit the stuff I already have

Yours looks very pretty :argie:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.