Detailing World Forum banner

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

366K views 1K replies 98 participants last post by  JordanRaven 
#1 ·
So, I still have the 330, but it will be listed for sale imminently, due to my new purchase. If you haven't gathered from the title, then shame on you :lol:

Been looking to replace the car for a long time and always changing my mind about the car that would take its place. Finally decided on a pre facelift XFR, I prefer the look of them to the facelift, not sure why...Bonus is they're typically cheaper :driver:

I wanted a high spec model, which was more of a focus that condition (obviously condition was a factor, didn't want a dog, but much easier to rectify condition that spec typically and cheaper)...

After a couple of weeks of searching (and missing out on one a few miles away) I found a listing for one on Auto Trader that had all of the spec I wanted, and more! It was very well priced, it had a few cosmetic shortcomings, but nothing woeful, only downside was that it was in Sheffield. That's a long way from home :wall:

Made a couple of phone calls to the dealer to check a few things, very helpful and pleasant, decided to book a train and go up to view it:

Checked the car over and transferred the funds, was then an XFR owner! Filled the car up with fuel and headed down to Peterborough to my friends house so we could look it over and start compiling a plan of action, or at least somewhat of a plan!

The car has been owned from new by 1 person, it has full JLR dealer service history, however it seems the person concerned didn't retain the invoices :(

I will try and obtain the details of the owner (for the second key, any other documentation and also to return items that they left in the car). I will also try and contact JLR for records of works completed as their online service history tracker doesn't bear any results :wall: failing that I'll contact each dealer noted in the history individually...

Before that though, took it on a drive on some rural roads and got the first photo opportunity:

As you can see, nice enough looking car, just needs some TLC and love, but I didn't want a car that required some work because otherwise I'd be bored :lol:

Whilst looking it over, one of the rear shelf speakers had failed, panic stations as the car has the bower and Wilkins setup and thought here the first premium price comes... panic avoided as the speaker was readily available on eBay and very cheaply at that!

My friend being the audio person of the duo decided to access the speaker to confirm part number (before we ordered and disconnect it to stop the noise (it was ghastly).

Here are the many stages of getting there: (although forums say 40 minutes, but took him about half that to disconnect and reassemble:

Trying to pry grille (don't do this, it's wrong! He didn't break it though)

Seat belt clip off:

Further disassembly of many things:

Taking advantage of the big boot:

Et voila:

Got the part number:

Unplugged for now, and then reassembled... easy enough for him to do again :lol:

Then he noticed that the rear vents were not sitting correctly in their cover, they'd sunken inward (although his hands are there we hadn't touched anything yet:

Removed the trim:

Re seated and reassembled:

One of the things that I noticed was the need for some rear pads, although the discs have evidently been changed, took a visit to brembo site to find the correct fitment:

Ordered the pads...

I then journeyed home, enjoyed the car, compiled information etc.

Skip ahead to today, after I did life things (yawn), I went to go and get the car aligned, it desperately needed it! One of the wheels was so far out that it didn't read on the gauge...

Whilst it was there I checked the underside for any nasties and took the height change opportunity to picture some cosmetic issues that I need to address...

Below are all of the pictures of the underside I took, no damage to report of, some replaced parts and some requirement for some aesthetic improvements...

Here are the cosmetics I noticed there:

The bumpers aren't pictured, but they need repairing, I'm contemplating buying a pair of bare bumpers and having them painted...

When I returned home I had a parcel, it was one of those signal blocking things, to stop the key being scanned and car started...

Decided to make a start on some of the smaller pieces to do, starting with the rusty locking wheel nuts:

Wire brushed, sanded down and then etch primed:

Painted silver:

Fitted:

Then to start with a gritty engine bay:

The trim pieces and seals have many many many clips , a couple of which were broken, many of which had not been reassembled correctly;

As you can see from the above there were many things wrong, but I corrected them and it's much better now... located all of the missing clips on eBay to replace them.

Cracked on with cleaning the bay:

Then treated the plastics:

Then cleaned the metal part:

The tailpipes are in very poor cosmetic shape...

Used a pick to remove the tar between the 2 pipes:

Started with the wire will and the metal polish:

As you can see there's a marked improvement, however there's still a lot to do with them. That took about half an hour and I was bored senseless! I will continue to improve them over time, any tips appreciated :wall:

Here's a copy of the build sheet:

As with other project threads I have, I will update as and when I have something worth updating...

There are many things I have planned to do to the car, some of which are more urgent than others and some more involved tasks...

All seems well so far :thumb:

See less See more
#85 ·
Went out this morning to get the bolts fitted back on the car before the rain set in:

As the more observant of you will see, didn't quite manage to beat the rain, never mind! Was a quick exercise, also got the brakes in the boot ready for the trip up to the garage at some point this morning to start.

Will also be an update on the TT whilst at the garage!

#86 ·
Front brakes got done today, was a bit more of a task than anticipated, but got done nonetheless!

Here's a photo trying to show the lip on the front disc:

Some corrosion on the disc vents:

Unsightly calipers:

Retaining plate removed:

Bar on the guide pins:

Guide pin head, 9mm hex recessed deep in the pin:

Front pad in place:

Guide pin removed:

Guide pin cleaning in progress (don't think that they've ever been cleaned):

Pads in the caliper:

Genuine pads:

Still some life left, but definitely benefited from changing:

Front disc corroded on inner side, took a few whacks to get that off!

Hub needed cleaning up:

Brakes all changed:

Will be addressing the poor looks at a later date. I also changed the brake fluid whilst I was there, brakes took a for moments to settle but they already seem to be out performing what they replaced, will monitor over coming days once they start to fully bed!

#88 ·
Nice updates- those calipers will look better after a spray up!

What does the Bovee give you? Does it control your phone on Bluetooth using OEM controls?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#89 ·
I have the paint kit for them, they definitely need it!

It basically allows me to stream Bluetooth to the car as the ore facelift wasn't A2DP compatible, it will work with steering controls. Unsure how much further interaction is possible, the radio is tedious to listen to even with DAB

#92 ·
Let's hope the weather clears for you, caliper painting needs fair weather unfortunately.

I've been looking for a bluetooth adapter for the 30 pin Ipod cable on my car, but I've never been sure of the functionality of them. My phone is Samsung, but it would be nice to skip up/down tracks using the car!

#93 ·
Yeah, I'll wait if needed, got plenty of other things to do!

Well I used a cheap one and whilst it connects it doesn't stream! I'll let you know how this one goes, if I remember in the morning I'll connect it up and hopefully have an improved commute.

I'll let you know how I get on, mine is iPhone but I use Spotify and Bluetooth isn't specific to handset so if it works on mine I see no reason it'd differ to yours, unless they have different versions of Bluetooth

#94 ·
Thanks - I nearly bought a cheap one... but I did not dare try...

It puzzles me that none of these adapters have a very good write up on what is possible, and how they work...

#95 ·
A lot of them seem to be designed for speakers that have iPod docks, don't know why cars are different :confused::confused:

Thought Bluetooth was a simple technology but it seems that isn't the case :lol:

Here's to hoping the expensive one is a lot better, if not then back to the drawing board, or look to see if I can change the either the Bluetooth module or the entire infotainment system from a facelift... hope that isn't the requirement

#96 ·
These arrived in the post today:

Will decide on them when I do painting of the calipers...

Also, plugged the Bovee in:

Turned Spotify on:

Then it came through the car:

It would play for a second, then stop and press play and repeat...

I then pressed play on the car screen as opposed to the phone, et voila! Glorious sound!

So now have Bluetooth streaming capability

#97 ·
Looks good!

May have to get one of those!

#99 ·
Can you see track names on screen?

#101 ·
Wow - that's really cool!

I'm thinking that's worth buying then, I have to plug mine in/out every day (3.5mm aux jack) at the moment, and I cannot skip up and down tracks....

I've not got an i-pod to test the cable in the glove box, but I can't imagine it's the sort of thing that would fail.

#104 ·
The Bovee is the only Bluetooth adapter I've heard of that seems to work in cars, heard works in Jags and LR's. I had the same experience when I bought a cheap one also, it worked in a speaker dock, connected in car but wouldn't stream.
Yeah that's what I ended up seeing after investigating why the cheapo unit didn't work. Expensive but it works

#105 ·
A friend of a friend works at JLR and was trying to get some more info for me, this is what I was sent:

Along with some tips for trying to obtain more information, whilst they continue to look for some more info too.

Looks like I'll be ringing service managers from the north of the country for some info

#106 ·
You can get a build sheet from Jaguar CRC. That's what I did with my past Jags. That gives you all the build spec.

#109 ·
Ah I see... that's not as easy. Jaguar dealers are famously unhelpful... They don't seem to keep very good records.

You tend to usually have to know the servicing dealer to get anything. The main Jaguar database is not very good in my experience.

#110 ·
Indeed, the online record keeping only works if the car was registered after the database was implemented according to the contact as they couldn't be bothered to install old car information...

Most of the dealers haven't even dignified my question with a response, I will chase them again. I have been known to be persistent, the now defunct BMW dealer that was local would have attested to that :lol:

#111 ·
I found the BMW dealer network much better. They at least have a central database and can tell you where a car was serviced.

I felt Jaguar CRC were very rude.

#113 ·
Removed the remnants of the fuel cap strap earlier:

Used it to track down a replacement, all of the straps I found second hand were not this type so I've ordered a new cap with the strap attached...

Winter is only really a period of small wins for the car as my time reduces as does daylight hours and workable weather! Hoping to still get some more things done before that sets in though

#114 ·
Came home to a couple of parcels and a letter, the parcels had these:

Jacking pads with slots in them, yes I can make robust versions at home, but frankly I can't be bothered... Got a couple of sizes for use with different jacks or in case one doesn't work well etc.

Next was the letter:

Quite happy with that, although I've never had a cheque book so will have to borrow one from my dad I think :lol:

#115 ·
Sounds like a good compromise!

#117 ·
Very wobbly photo (must have started moving before the camera finished its thing):

Failed number plate light, looking at MOT history, both number plate lights regularly feature as inoperative... may require a closer look, but they are the small wedge bulbs so maybe just cheapo ones thrown in causing the issue.

Will have a look at the connection terminals to make sure there's no sign of water ingress into the plinth area

#119 ·
Thanks, had planned to take it off as the rust issue i have found on any car with a plinth, I have ordered some of the ford units this morning :thumb: will be looking at wear and condition of the connections whilst I am under there too.

I have all the products already if preventative work is required, and as the chrome will obscure it my paint finish won't be quite as important, but would obviously be done properly

#120 ·
Ever impressed with the options that you can change through the cars headunit! The auto dipping mirror is a great feature, if you regularly park against kerbs. I do not, I reverse through some street parking areas that are leading to more open parking...

With that in mind, wanted to turn the auto dip off, open vehicle settings on the unit:

Locate the parking option, and open up the mirror option, see it set to yes for dip:

Quickly changed:

Another little inconvenience sorted!

Also got a quote today for the wheel refurbishment, will probably get that booked in for later in the month :driver:

That'll be probably the single biggest transformation for the car because they're far under standard and will be going to the same place as I have previously so know the finish will be superb. Only difference being they'll be on the car as opposed to in the boot, so will have to use them and let them settle etc before sealing them

#121 ·
With some sunlight exposure it showed up I still had work to do on the 3 areas I flatted on the car previously, so started that early this morning:

Didn't get any pictures of the polishing process this time around, used IPA to check my work as I went.

Then the rest of the car looked tatty, so started with the horrendous wheels:

My previously made sticks still coming in useful:

Cleaned up:

Close up of some of the many reasons why I booked in the refurb:

Can not wait for that to be rectified! Dressed the tyres:

Rears were stained:

Cleaned them up a little with some abrasives:

Next up was polled filter, removed the fabric cover:

Filter housing:

Pulled the filter out, covered in debris:

Here's the filter:

New filter clips into the base:

Then fitted it back up.

My sister blocked me in so took advantage of the car being there:

Then some parcels arrived:

New front badge in red for when I do the changeover, and a petrol cap with an attached cable. Treated the cable:

Then fitted:

Biggest part of the day is for the boot plinth, firstly to see if I could see why bulbs are a regular failure:

They look like they've suffered a difficult life indeed! Have LED units coming, hoping they aren't problematic.

Then to remove the plinth and inspect for corrosion... removing the boot carpet clips:

Take off the boot latch cover:

Now have access the the plinth bolts:

Remove the 7 nuts holding the plinth, then chuck all of the fixings in the boot:

Plenty of dirt behind the plinth:

Plenty of wiring too:

Find plenty of spots of corrosion and get filled with joy...

Grind back to bare metal:

Rust treat:

Etch prime, paint and lacquer:

Whilst that's drying, sort out the years of grime on the chrome:

Then refit the plinth:

Job done, a few more from the list!

Will see how the weather holds tomorrow to see if I get any more done, fuel filter is in a wheel well at the front so may do that next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.