Detailing World Forum banner

BH's Alpine White MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive20d M Sport

38K views 148 replies 27 participants last post by  muzzer 
#1 ·
After using the A4 Avant to tow for around 6 months the wife & I decided we needed a bigger, more powerful, AWD tow car

My selection was narrowed down to the X3, a Q5, a XC60 & a VW Tiguan
This was quickly narrowed down to the X3 & the Q5

I had made contact via email with both dealers offering the best deals on respective cars
3 phone calls to the Audi 'Sales Executive' & I'm still waiting for him to call me back. He was always on the phone & was going to ring me back

So Audi lost due to the lack of interest

The wife & I went into our local BMW dealership to have a look at a new X3 as I honestly hadn't seen one on the road. I took my best deal in with me just to offer them the business if they could match/beat the deal I had

The killer with BMW at the mo is their 2.9% APR finance for the last 1/4 of 2019
I was managed to negotiate a 'healthy' discount off list & got a decent price for the A4 Avant too

So all in all, the Hound is a happy dawg

Anyway they matched the deal & were able to trace a car that was on the ship with my exact spec!
Hopefully I should be in the new X3 mid November

I chose the solid alpine white as I don't like any of the other X3 colours, but I appreciate we are all different

Spec

MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport
190ps & 400nm torque
Solid alpine white
Auto transmission
AWD
Vernasca leather - black with grey contrast stitching
Aluminum fine cutting interior trim with pearl chrome finisher
BMW live ****pit professional with 12.3" instrument display & a 10.25" control display with ID7

Options

M Sport Plus package
- 20" M light alloy Double-spoke style 699 M wheels, Orbit Grey with mixed tyres, front 8J x 20
with 245/45 R20 tyres, rear 9.5J x 20 with 275/40 R20 tyres
- Adaptive suspension
- M seat belts
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents
- Dynamic safety
- Sun protection glass
- M Sport braking system
- Variable sport steering
Towbar, electrically folding

Must admit I'm quite surprised how much standard kit it has -
Power tailgate
Adaptive LED headlights
Power foldy anti dazzle mirrors
F & r parking sensors with rear camera
Heated front seats
Acoustic glazing
Ambient lighting
Parking assistant (Park Assist includes the Reversing Assist camera, lateral parking aid, as well as Active Park Distance Control (PDC)

I'm sure there's more but I just haven't had enough time to read up on it yet lol

Haven't owned a BMW since 2002 so quite interested to see how things go

More info as & when I get it

See less See more
#51 ·
Yes...the Blue looks very good in my opinion, BH...the last picture really shows it very well and the accent of the Orange lights in the controls is a great combination.

My 19 plate Datsun has the tiniest bit of orange ambient lighting either side of the gear lever and certainly nothing on this scale:lol:

#62 · (Edited)
BimmerCode app coding today

I used the Enet cable

I'm used to coding with the Carista app which uses a wifi dongle, but using the Enet cable & ethernet adaptor connected to the wife's iPad its rapid

Not a lot of coding done today but I got the main things done that i wanted

Enable acoustic lock/unlock
Enable checkbox for acoustical lock
Enable memory function for auto stop start button
Disable auto light control so I can switch the lights off at setting 0

I would have paid the £30.99 subscription for the stop start memory function alone

#63 ·
BimmerCode app coding today

I used the Enet cable

I'm used to coding with the Carista app which uses a wifi dongle, but using the Enet cable & ethernet adaptor connected to the wife's iPad its rapid

Not a lot of coding done today but I got the main things done that i wanted

Enable acoustic lock/unlock
Enable checkbox for acoustical lock
Enable memory function for auto stop start
Disable auto light control so I can switch the lights off at setting 0

I would have paid the £30.99 subscription for the stop start memory function alone
Looks good - what else can you code ?

Just wondering if it's worth it on mine ?

#65 ·
Will altering the codes invalidate the cars warranty if BMW find out it has been done, or will you return all the codes back to their standard settings on each visit to BMW for servicing and the like.

Like you, I'm not a fan of Stop / Start and the Qashqai has a button that will turn it off, but you have to press it each time you start the car.

#66 ·
Will altering the codes invalidate the cars warranty if BMW find out it has been done, or will you return all the codes back to their standard settings on each visit to BMW for servicing and the like.
Bit of a grey area that one
I don't code anything to drastic & like you say I'll revert to 'standard' as & when it has to go back to the Dealers

#70 ·
Its a personal thing Andy
Never liked it from the time it was introduced TBH. I find it intrusive
I could understand the need for its introduction when VED duties were set according to the cars emissions. Now they are not, whats the need for it?

But as the saying go's we are all different. Would be a boring world if we all liked / disliked the same things

#78 ·
I think its a bit penny pinching on BMW's behalf not to fit rear door sill protectors to the G01 X3's

To the best of my knowledge BMW do not do OEM aftermarket one's so I had to go on the hunt for them

After a little searching I found a set on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968468774.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6a324c4dcXSySK

For £15 delivered I thought I may as well give them a go

10 days after ordering they arrived, which was surprisingly quick

Quality, shape & match to the fronts were way better than expected TBH

Before -

After -

The car looks more 'uniform' now IMHO. Must be a car OCD thing lol

#87 ·
I think its a bit penny pinching on BMW's behalf not to fit rear door sill protectors to the G01 X3's

To the best of my knowledge BMW do not do OEM aftermarket one's so I had to go on the hunt for them

After a little searching I found a set on AliExpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968468774.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6a324c4dcXSySK

For £15 delivered I thought I may as well give them a go

10 days after ordering they arrived, which was surprisingly quick

Quality, shape & match to the fronts were way better than expected TBH

Before -

After -

The car looks more 'uniform' now IMHO. Must be a car OCD thing lol

Thanks for posting this. Going to order some for my wife's X3. Wish we got the M Sport Plus pack, yours looks lovely!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#83 ·
They look brilliant and definitely agree as to why wouldn't they put them on the rear doors - from those photos can't really see any difference from the genuine ones :thumb:

Great find...
Thanks Andy :thumb:
Very nice mod indeed BH with them looking pretty OEM on initial views.
Cheers buddy :thumb:
Like that, really improved
Looking good, BH...the rears really help finish off the look of the car.
Cheers Andy :thumb:

Some more pic's
OEM front's -

Rear's -

The one's I got from AliExpress are as close to OEM as you are going to get IMHO

#88 ·
Cheers :thumb:
Was a surprise to me too as the 10 year old A4 Avant I had had them fitted
Thanks for posting this. Going to order some for my wife's X3. Wish we got the M Sport Plus pack, yours looks lovely!
Your welcome :thumb:
Main reasons for the M Sport Plus pack were the bigger brakes & adaptive suspension for towing
My wife reckons i have 'wheel size issues' so they may have something to do with getting the pack too lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.