Detailing World Forum banner

Just because I don't have enough french hot hatches...a Ph3 GTi6!

46K views 129 replies 31 participants last post by  c16rkc 
#1 · (Edited)
So.....

If you've read my recent update to my Golf thread, you'll know change is on the horizon, and approaching rapidly. The 130 mile daily round trip commute, that I pay the fuel for, has become a grind and when I was presented with the opportunity for an interview for a role that is virtually identical to mine, a mere 17 miles up the M1 from home, I jumped at it.

Clearly, I chose the right words, in the correct order, with the right amount of effort in delivering them, because I got the job!

The new role has the option of a fully expensed car, or a car allowance. Given I'll now be doing circa 9k a year mileage instead of maybe 35k, it makes more sense to run my own car and take the allowance. I'd considered asking Lex about how much to buy the golf but considering it's only just over two years old, I think it will be too much.

Thoughts then turned to finances and I figured with the saving of not having a company car on my tax code, and the car allowance, I could bank a serious amount of cash per month. I'd been looking at this car:

A 2010 535d, with a serious spec, and a price to match at £13k.

Thoughts turned to a fun car I could run for a year, that I knew well, that was reasonably reliable, other than the Xsara because I don't want to put the miles on that and easy to maintain myself.

There was only one answer. A 306. The lack of distance I'd be covering meant I didn't need to consider a diesel. I've already a Rallye, so why not a 6? And low and behold an advert appeared on the GTi6/Rallye Facebook page yesterday, in Coventry (very local to Leicester), for about my budget, for a GTi6.

A trip over this afternoon, a good look round, a test drive, a look through the history file over a cup of tea, a little negotiation and a deal was done. Tomorrow, I will own this:

A Ph3, late 2000, X plate GTi6. A fairly well known car amongst the 306 community, it's fairly standard apart from being lowered a touch and having an updated rear beam. Turns out it had a decent period of being maintained by CG Cars of Leicester (if youve read my Xsara thread, you'll know Carl looks after all my french stuff). A bulging history file, 124k on the clocks and generally a very clean example. Previously, it had been modified somewhat to make it handle very well but mostly, suspension aside, it's been returned to stock.

So......the million dollar question. My plans:

Well, I intend to run it for a year. It will be my daily. Undoubtedly, there will things to.do, but, unless parts present themselves so cheaply I'd be mad to turn them down, it will remain standard. Someone I know well, who I've told of my plans, has already asked for first refusal if I do move it on in a year's time, so I guess it's my duty to maintain/improve over the next 12 months. I might have a parts contact.....!

I will be picking it up at lunchtime tomorrow so will hopefully update tomorrow night....

See less See more
#5 ·
Quickest car I have ever driven on the back roads, might not have the bhp but it really handled the bends better than anything I've ever owned with the passive rear wheel steering.
On a test drive I thought I was doing 60 ish when I looked at the speedo after the salemen was starting to hold on to his seat, jez it was a good bit faster not even the same number of digits.
deceptively fast.
Great buy.

#9 · (Edited)
It's finally home.

After a bit of a banking hiccup Saturday, we shot back over this morning, picked it up and came home. I'll start with some details. It's a late 2000 X plate, registered 31st October of that year. In China Blue, it's a Phase 3 car, with Aircon and a sunroof. It's done 124kmiles. These are the pics from the Facebook advert.

It was MOT'd regularly up until 2013. There is nothing major at all in the history. I know from 306 circles that it's been a local car to the midlands for quite some time, with Carl Grimsley of CG cars (you'll know the name from my Rallye and Xsara threads) having looked after it for quite some time. At that point, it was quite heavily modified, mainly from a handling perspective, having had major suspension work (including a 30mm ARB in the rear beam), lowered, roller bearing bushed front wish bones, lightened flywheel and a few other bits. I found this out from talking to a previous owner that Carl put me in touch with. He also took a lot of it off for the owner when the owner sold the car. However, I'm led to believe that the rear ARB and flywheel remain, and given the way this thing goes, I'm inclined to believe it's true!

The car then disappears from radar in October 2013, to reappear on the MOT system in March 2017. This was probably around the point the guy I bought it from bought it. He'd had it from around that point, maybe a bit earlier. He's recently moved house to a place with a smaller garage and already has a 205, hence the reason for selling the 6.

It's got a massive history file, with lots in it, including a rolling road graph and a HORT 2 from a previous owner!

The car appears to have started life at a dealership in Manchester. Tom Garner Peugeot which, by some strange coincidence, was the dealership I bought my 306 GTi6 from. The guy I bought if from said something about a previous owner being in the military and didn't use it much. That fits, because my GTi6 was the same....I wonder if Garners were a supplying dealer for military discount cars.

After registration, it was used around the Chesterfield area, until 2003, when it moved Southwest to Chipping Sodbury, roughly 2004 - 2006. In August 2006, it went into the dealers for Aircon work (no suprise for one of these cars) and investigation into and engine misfire when cold. That little lot ended with a £2.5k bill, a refurbished headband new big end shells and advisory that the crank was in poor condition!!

At some point between August 2006 and March 2008, the car comes to the midlands, owned by A chap called Tony. It was at this point it got modified and was looked after by Carl. It them remained a midlands car, I think. From Tony it went to Andy, and then from Andy, to me.

So that's is history really. Got it home at lunchtime and parked it on the drive.

Not before is swapped a wheel out. The standing hadn't done the tyres any favours. The seller told me the side walls on the front had perished. The driver's side was awful. Not seen a tyre perish like this. I wasn't prepared to drive it home on this tyre so took one of my spare Rallye rims and swapped it over to bring it home.

The tyres are a set of 4 Firestone's that were put on in 2010. They are getting swapped for a set of Pilot Sport 3's as per the Xsara.

This afternoon, eventually the weather broke and the wind dropped, the sky cleared and the sun came out. Decided to give it a wash and see what I've got.

Generally, very tidy indeed. It had the front end sprayed at Carla before it was sold then, so it's got very little in the way of stone chips.

Still looks great from the rear

A small bit of lacquer peel on the front wing...

And a small rust blister on the tailgate.

Other than that, it might need a passenger side wing mirror, as it only moves electrically in one direction and the tracking needs doing. Might have a slight exhaust blow but can't be sure. As I was shunting it on the drive at home, something on the lift up reverse went ping and I couldn't select reverse. Once the sun was out, I loved the gaitor, thinking the worst that the cable had snapped. I needn't have worried. The cable had just come out of its housing...

What is has got is a much larger rear antiroll bar and a lightened flywheel, which means it's got an incredibly responsive throttle, and it loves to rev. Once the crap Firestone's finally find some grip, the thing just goes....and goes......and goes. The rear is pretty stiff, it stepped out on me on an island on the way home so will see how I go with that. It's got a powder coated inlet manifold and matching rocker covers, in a gunmetal colour. it's still lowered a touch too but the combination of tyres and weather mean it's definitely not been the day to find out handling limits!

#10 · (Edited)
Love the colour, she seems to have had an interesting life! lol

Was the crank issue rectified?

I very much look forward to your updates, love these Peugeot's

One of the very few cars that looks great from all angles.. :)

Tyres that stand tend to do that in the "peeling" where the weight of the car was sitting, usually shows signs if the car has sat for a time..

Interior looks mint too!

#11 ·
Regarding the crank, not as far as I'm aware. I think if there was an issue with it, it would have been rectified by now. Still, the plan is to run it and get a fair few miles under its belt before I start using it daily to iron out any potential issues.

#14 ·
Firstly! Fair play on keeping One of these on the Road :thumb: not many of them about nowadays.

Back in 2008 I very nearly bought a Phase 3 GTI-6 but ended up with an Immaculate Cherry Red 306 Rallye instead.

I think Rallye was based on a Phase 2 GTI-6 but with a bit of Weight reduction, 65KG less rings a bell?

It was quite a capable Car although you could find the limit of the Chassis especially the loose back end if provoked! I once gave a bloke in an Audi S3 a real hard time in my 306 on a B-Road which I used Daily to get too and from Work :lol: I was flat out and it got out of shape a few times but it is a journey that always makes me smile if I think about it today and a reason I will always admire the 306 GTI-6/Rallye.

I loved the Gearbox too the Ratio's where spot on, 2nd Gear was long to get you upto 60mph and then 3rd onwards all bunched together nicely and kept it on Cam all the time.

I enjoyed mine but sold it to upgrade and bought a UK Honda Integra Type R DC2.

Anyway.

I was an active member on the 306 GTI-6 Forum for a good while, CG Cars was well known and bought many GTI-6's which had snapped Cambelts, Rebuilt the Top Ends, Went through everything on the Car and then sold them on...Cant fault him at all. Carl had a great reputation even 12 Years ago.

Sounds like you are an avid French Hot Hatch Fan, I know a few myself and a good friend of mine had a string of 205 GTI's in the early 90's and in 1996 a very rare 306 S16 Brand New.

Another friend of mine has a White 1993 Citreon ZX 2.0 16V, He is on about selling it as he has too many other projects.

#17 ·
Didn't take long to pull the trigger on bits!

The Firestone tyres that are on 3 out of 4 corners are, not to put to fine a point on it, godawful. Less grip than something with no grip, fast pull offs are a no go as the good Michelin on my Rallye wheel sits there laughing at the crap on the passenger side, attempting to spin itself into oblivion. Push on a little, and it handles like a drunk pig on roller skates. LOTS of understeer, oversteer from the rear without much trying, and generally, it's like trying to drive a fully laden oil tanker in a force 9 gale.

The Firestone's have got to go, and quickly. My favourite Norfolk based race team eBay seller popped up again with sets of 195/50/15 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, with 5-6mm of tread....a set of 4 delivered for £105. Less than half the price of new. Fans of Ben_W will know I've a set on the Xsara and they are excellent.

Having finally had the chance to have a proper look around in the daylight with it not raining, I've noticed it needs:

An inlet manifold badge...

B pillar trim replacing

Both duely ordered from Rich at Vehicle Decals. Went for this manifold badge

Took it to see Carl today. Paint and stuff he can do. Gave me a price, just need to persuade Mrs_W to left me 'borrow' the money from the remortgage fund.

Needs MOTing so the plan is to take it to Carl once the tyres have arrived. Will get him to put a belt kit on it (doesn't need a water pump, it's only done 7k miles), the tyres and then MOT it.

Will go over it with a fine tooth comb this weekend. Still got the feeling from the vibrations that's it's either polybush or solid mounted. Couple of other things to check too but will also start the search for std suspension. Whatever is on the front isn't doing it much in the way of favours (it's hard and crashy) and the rear is pretty firm (as you'd expect with what I'm told is a 30mm ARB)...

Other than that, loving it!

#18 ·
Once the wind and rain finally died off this afternoon, I was able to get a little time in the 6.

First thing to do was get it jacked up so I could get a proper look underneath. Stiffener panels on boths sides are in very good shape. A little deformation but nothing to worry about, no signs of rot or welding.

A twist of the head and I noticed it also had a lower strut brace. That's a bit of a result.

I then turned my attention to the wishbone bushes. I knew from people involved in the cars history that at some point it had had roller bearing wishbone bushes fitted. They were designed and made by Rich at Lynx Engineering, who designed the supercharger kit for the GTi6. Whilst they take all the play/flex out of the suspension, they stiffen the front end an awful lot. I'd thought they'd have been removed along with a lot of other parts when the car was sold during its past. I was wrong.

The grease nipples are a dead giveaway. They are still fitted and explain the front end stiffness and extra vibration. A lot of people found they are/were a bit much for a daily driver. I'm finding the same. They will be coming out.

Other bits I'd noticed is that the bumper still has all three lower mount tabs. Certainly a bit of a rarity.

Once I'd finished rooting around underneath, I got onto the subject of paint. China blue is a lovely colour, a deep blue metallic. Whilst generally in not bad condition, we all know most cars benefit from a good polish.

I started on the driver side rear quarter. Didn't do any before/during pics but this was after. Generally looks better, deeper and glossier. Difficult to photo in the late afternoon light but you get the idea.

I also did a section of roof. Not bad reflections

I decided to test the sunroof, which works perfectly. Whilst I can't find anything in the history, it's looks way, way too clean to be the original fittings. If I didn't know better, I'd say it's had a replacement mechanism. Either way, it works fine. I just need to check the drains are clear.

Despite my best efforts, I was cold and tired so called it a day at this point and retreated in for a brew and a hot shower. I then took the car out for a run and called in at the local Co-Op for a cider or two! Like the Xsara's she can definitely still hold her own in a carpark. So much different to the multiple, samey designs from the current manufacturers...

#19 ·
Parts buying continues at a pace.....

Now, Eurocarparts are, like DFS, SCS and God knows who else, always having a 'sale'. Except this week, they really were.

I'd had a look at the brakes on the 6 and one of the front discs has a healthy score around it so I thought that brakes are cheap enough, I'll get them changed. Little did I know, but my words have never been more accurate.

Awake very early one morning this week (3:30am....stupid brain) so was mooching around the ECP website. Looking at brakes, I had to do a double take, as they had Pagid front brake discs for £8 each. Yes, not a typo, £8. Immediately put a pair in my basket and moved onto pads. Pagid front pads.....£8.

£24 for a full set of front brakes. Then I applied the sale code.

50% off.

A full set of front brakes for £12.42. My order was accepted so I hoped it wasn't an error.

Later that day, I got a confirmation email...then I knew it wasn't an error so decided to order another set for the Rallye. By now, Mintex rear discs had been dropped to £7 each, so ordered a pair of them too!

This massive pile of brakes, for a not very massive £32. Utter bargain.

Friday, the Pilot Sport 3's arrived. Plenty of tread.....

And very recent tyres too.....

With all this water that's about, I've been fairly worried about the K&N filter that sits on the end of the intake pipe in place of the airbox. Too many XU10J4RS engines ended up dead due to water intake due to having an open filter so low down.

Managed to source an airbox which I'm just waiting on a mate delivering when he's local..

And then tapped up a prolific breaker chum for a snorkel pipe he had on eBay. £20 delivered.

That pretty much takes care of the wheels/tyres, brakes and air filter.

I've also sourced some std OEM front struts and springs which are very near to work so just got to arrange to pick those up. Also found a pair of OEM bottom arms (again, local, but to where I live) so need to grab new P Bushes and balljoints and the roller bearing ones can come off....the last thing then to do is to take a road trip to Wrexham and get a std rear beam in exchange for the one on the car and a few other beam bits I've got knocking about.

That then, flywheel aside, should be the car sorted and back to standard and turned into a road car with much better manners.

#24 ·
Little bit more done on the 6 today.

I've been off work yesterday and today. Steroid injection in my wrist to try and sort out the carpel tunnel I've got so yesterday was spend building the Lego project I've got on the go. Today, my wrist was pretty sore (as they said it would be) so tried a little Lego building but after a bit my wrist was hurting so took the opportunity, and the great weather, to do a bit on the 6.

So, the door b pillar stickers, certainly on the driver's side, have seen better days. I've a new pair, along with a new sticker for the inlet manifold from Rich at https://vehicledecals.co.uk , the same place I got my Rallye graphics from.

So, the start point....very worn, especially at the bottom right edge (apologies for the poor pic)

The sticker is wrapped around either edge of the window opening on the door....it's a pain to remove as the original adhesive is pretty strong and there isn't much to get hold off. I eventually got a spare old hairdryer out to warm it up and soften thing which made life a bit easier.

Eventually got the old sticker off, leaving a lot of adhesive residue.

I'd already bought some adhesive remover from the local DIY shop and it did a pretty good job.

Applied the new sticker and I must say, as per everything Rich does, the replacement stickers were excellent, both in terms of quality and fit.

Door has clearly had a bit of paint but I knew the car had in places.

When I bought the car, I'd noticed it had had the inlet manifold and rocker covers powder coated in a metallic grey, which actually is quite nice. However, the badge that lives on the manifold (on a Peugeot, it's the lion, on my Citroen, the double Chevron badge) had not been replaced. Ideally, I'd have chosen the std silver lion on a black background but that wasn't a choice so I went for a blue Peugeot sport badge. Looked great on a screen, wasn't too sure when it got delivered but once I fitted it this afternoon, I thought it look great.

The other bit to do was sort the trim in the fuel filler opening flap. The one that came with the car fell off pretty much the first time I put fuel in it. On closer inspection, because several of the clips were already broken.

A replacement from a breaker for £10 and....needs a bit of trim stuff to make it look better again but it's better than not having it!

So tomorrow, it's back off to http://www.cgcarsleicester.co.uk/ for the tyres to be fitted, tracking done, an MOT and see if the exhaust is blowing a little like I think it is.

Sooner I get rid of those awful Firenza tyres on it the better. They spin up at every opportunity, even late this afternoon, on a road that was nice and dry, I managed to pull off a bit quick and the decent tyre on my Rallye rim gripped and the crappy Firenza went up in smoke!

#26 ·
Just dropped on this thread, I normally drop on these about pg20 with loads to read before commenting.

Nice to get in at pg3.

Cracking project and write up but I nigh on spat my coffee out at seeing the brake bargains!!! How the hell that company make money on some of that sales stuff is beyond me.

Hoping the carpal tunnel sorts itself out or gets easier to live with Ben.

#27 ·
Having had a chat with Carl this morning, he suggested they are probably off loading their stock of these. The GTi6 isn't a very common car at all these days so demand for parts will be dropping off considerably I'd think.....I've checked Euros again this morning and pagid discs are back to £40 each!

The wrist will be sorted, one way or another. 2-3 weeks for the steroids to work, if they do. Decide after that where to go next. I'll probably go for the surgery and get it sorted once and for all.

So, new tyres and MOT today. Old tyres as I might have mentioned were awful. The new Michelin's are much better. Correctly balanced too so no more vibration at motorway speeds. Once they were fitted, it was MOT time.

Passed, no advisories, which was very pleasing. Whilst it was on the ramp with the wheels off, they took it all the way up so I could have a look underneath. Generally, it's better underneath than I expected. Sills are fine, stiffener panels have avoided the curse of the trolley jack and it's pretty reasonable under there...

Turns out it's also got braided hoses on the rear brakes...

Underside....could just do with a clean

And Carl made me a cup of tea in a special mug....

:lol:

Happy with that. Off out to give her a wash and try and get some machining done but looks like it may rain...

#28 ·
Nice project :thumb:

I love how 10/15 years ago the thread would probably be about a standard GTi6 and it would be stripped, lowered big wheels and large exhausts and now its aboiut turning things back to the original spec. The price of orange indicators for S2 RS Turbos must be horrifically priced now.

#29 ·
Last update for today.

Got home, gave it a good wash, was planning on doing some machining but my wrist is sore so I'll leave it for another day.

Dried and wiped down with a quick detailer....

It passes the 10 yard test....there are some bits close up that I'll get sorted in the fullness of time but generally, she's not a bad old girl!

One last little treat. The keys been a bit temperamental with the RF locking/unlocking. Figured it probably needed a new battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.