Detailing World Forum banner

Shampoo through a Foam Lance..

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ZTChris 
#1 ·
I've seen people doing this recently, does it work with any shampoo or is it specific types?

I notice AG have just launched a specific shampoo to use in their new lance so made me wonder about other shampoos.

#2 ·
There is nothing to prevent it. If you are after a particular amount of foaming, you may have to experiment with dilutions and flow rates, but that doesn't necessarily affect the cleaning power.

I have two foam guns, one with pre-rinse and one with shampoo mixed at the same PIR as the stuff in the shampoo bucket. I use it to pre-lube the car before sliding the mitts over it or to keep the car moist if necessary.

#5 ·
I pretty much do this too, with the exception of having a wash bucket with shampoo in too, I was going to do the same but it seems a bit over cautious and unnecessary. It's either one or the other for me, shampoo filled bucket or shampoo foam cannon.

What I do is keep my multi mitts in a bucket of water, no need for a shampoo mix. A light squeeze of each mitt before touching the panel thats been blasted with shampoo works for me.

I have also experimented with cleaning the bonnet first, then lying all my mitts on there and blasting shampoo mix on them, flip them over and do the same again. Quick way to charge all your mitts with shampoo should you feel you need the extra lube!

#3 ·
To a certain extent yes, but some will work better than others. In order to get the shampoo to foam and cling to the panel you will likely need to use more shampoo than you would typically use in a bucket wash. Doing this may affect any coating you have applied. Some will say this is nonsense, but I've certainly had this. For example, I've noted that a couple of shampoos will kill the beading effect of Gyeon Wet Coat when applied at the concentrations required in a foam cannon. I've settled on Adams Car Shampoo as this doesn't affect Wet Coat as far I have found. If you want to try shampoo in a cannon I would recommend starting with what you have lying about and if you get no joy, give adams a whirl.
If you try adams in the 16oz bottle and like it, it would make sense to pick up the gallon size as it works out much cheaper per wash. You will probably need a ratio of 1:6 in the cannon to make adams car shampoo foam well. (60ml shampoo & 360ml warm water) Other more concentrated shampoos will require much less. :thumb:

#6 ·
Adams is a great shampoo, but it's an expensive one to use all the time. I have bought the gallon size too to get some value from it, but I wouldn't be putting it in the cannon each time. I reserve the use of Adams shampoo when washing conditions are not ideal i.e it's a bit sunny. It's the only shampoo I've used that doesn't dry out and water spot on a warm/hot panel - and that's on a black car.

#4 ·
Koch Chemie Nms works excellent through the foam lance. As per thread not far from this one on the page.
After decontamination, Nms only needs to be in contact with the surfaces and coverage is so easy to see, this is really helpful in a foam state.
Rinse off, pat dry, job done.
Still testing this to improve and consumption of shampoo is less than bucket method. Dilution rates make it very economical and effective for daily cars at least. Quick too :thumb:

#12 ·
It is very common in the used to perceive shampoo as Snowfoam which it is not. At 200ltr per minute dilution the effectiveness at the tip will not work.

AG has been designed to use in that format as with many others..

I may try my CarChem 1900:1 as opposed to my usual snowfoam plus report back. Pure Snowfoam may cling longer which all helps to soften that initial dirt...

Happy cleaning guys.

John Tht.

#17 ·
In the worst of winter, if a pre-wash with warm water from a pump sprayer doesn't shift enough visible dirt by itself i sometimes follow up with some shampoo through the foam lance and a quick (very gentle) all over with a wash mitt and a single rinse bucket to loosen the more stubborn dirt.

I get great results from sticking 100ml of Turtle Wax Zip Wax (cos i got loads of it...) plus 500ml of water in the foam lance, It gives loads of thick and slick foam. Cleans very well too.

Car is going to be filthy again in less than a week, so it is just a quick job

#19 ·
The snow foam pre-wash is mean to remove the heavy soiling when rinsed off. Are you suggesting to apply snow again after this and then contact washing with shampoo? Or are you saying to apply snow foam and then going straight in with the shampoo contact wash without rinsing off the snow foam?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.