Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

Mazda 6 brought back to life

Hi Everyone!

I would like to show you our other project which took a bit of time, but it was finished within a month or so.

Basically we did this to raise money for the Traction Avant project, as we think we could sell this car with a great profit at the end.

So, the car in question is a Mazda 6 2003 CD Sport.

It had an engine fault - the previous owner knew he won't have enough money to pay out the car loan, so he decided to drain the engine oil and rev the **** out of it don't try to understand this behaviour, as it's not possible... the good thing is that the oil in the engine was a quality stuff, so eventhough there was no oil in the crankcase, the cylinder walls still had a bit of protection thus not letting the engine seize.

The 4th. cylinder's crank bearing gave up, spun in the con. rod thus lifting up the piston so it hit the cylinder head making an awful knocking sound. I think he stopped the engine at this point. Fortunately the cylinder head / valves suffered no problem.

The car then was impounded by the bank, and they took it to a Mazda dealer to find out what is involved building the engine back, and estimated the actual value of the car.

And then I've bought it. (the advertisement of the car was put up on the internet on Friday morning and by 15:00 I was the 6th. to ask about it. We drove immediately to check the car - 150km drive there and then back)

So 3175GBP later it was ours. A flatbed truck delivered it to our house on Saturday and we gave it an extensive inspection.

stainless steel sports backbox:

17" option alloys:

Sol Lumar tint:

OEM Xenon headlights:

grubby interior:

upgraded speakers all round:

random stuff left in the centre console:

dirty OEM matts:

worn gear knob (used to belong to a woman with a ring... clearly visible)

rear engined:

block:

stuff:

engine... ohh... hang on!

Webasto stand heating (can't make out of pic tho.

IHI Charger

So our task was the following:

Completely clean and rebuild the engine, clean the car inside out and then sell it.

Father started working on the engine the day after delivery. He cleaned the block, the oil sprayers, honed the cylinder walls. And then removed the valves from the head, cleaned them just like the head itself and inlet/exhaust ports. He also cleaned the inlet manifold.

We had the injectors checked tomorrow, and ordered a new clutch plate, timing belt and other stuffs I can not remember. - we've got a very decent discount on parts, thanks to years of partnership.

So his task was to build up the engine, mine was to detail the car to give it a fresh look.

Eventhough it was raining all day long, I couldn't help myself, so I got out and did something on the Mazda.

I removed the backbox and give it a good scrub, clean, polish...

before:

after:

Those are raindrops on the backbox...

Excuse the hangers... will painted them as soon as it was welded back on the exhaust pipe, as the rescue man managed to rip the backbox apart from the pipe...

it took me around 2 hours as it seemed like nobody has ever cleaned it before... the tailpipe was a nightmare! had to use a Dremel tool and various bits to clean it up...
Testor VTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

As the crank/rings/bearings were on their way, we cracked on cleaning the disgusting mess from the car...

I've removed the driver's seat, the centre console, the gear gaiter and it's surround, the middle panel (A/C controls and stereo), the small and big glovebox and the centre display.

[img width=450 height=600]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/VTS_Tibi/Mazda%206/2010-09-25180014.jpg[/img]

All parts were cleaned and protected with Aerospace 303. Thank God I had this at home, as I had to remove 1-2mm thin dried out coffee residue from loads of plastics, and the sill covers were covered in dirt/mud.

Under the centre console I've found loads of coins, around a loaf of bread, a Starbucks, and the remains of a girl's hair

p.s.: managed to take a photo of the cleanest part

One good surprise:

The car had a very serious stereo install, with front and rear speakers ran from amps, and there was a huge sub in the boot. Now as the amps were gone, just like the sub we removed miles of unnecessary wires, and soldered the speaker wires directly to the head unit.

Even without amplifiers the sound is AMAZING!!!

Then I've tidied up the boot, moved stuff out from the second row, cleaned the interior plastics, hoovered the interior around 5-6 times (and now it's black not grey as it was
cleaned up the mess from the door cards, assembled the dash and centre console, cleaned and reinstalled the seat, and my father did the first passes on the trim with fabric cleaner - it's got it's original stance back

ohh... backbox fitted (and already dirty and spotted )

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

wheels in sad conditions... these were before refurb:

brake calipers and brake discs were painted with heat resistant Alu-Zinc spray (silver)

my father has painted the metal parts on the struts, and the fuel filter holder:

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

Then my father did a brilliant job on the brakes.

He cleaned the muck/dirt/rust from the calipers / discs, painted them with Alu-Zinc spray and lacquered the calipers.

It was an awful job to remove all that ****e from them!

Before:

After:

The car as it was standing:

Wheels before refurb:

For the refurbed wheels dirty wheel nuts won't cut it, so I made them shiny shiny again ;D :

before:

After:

After these I've debadged the rear, and removed the dealer stickers - looks sooo much better now!

We have ordered new centre caps for the wheels as two were missing, and new rear brake pads.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

after the new crank, piston rings and bearings arrived we moved onto the engine:

new crank in:

forgot to take pictures from the bearings

[img width=450 height=600]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/VTS_Tibi/Mazda%206/P1040443.jpg[/img]

assembly:

ring seats cleaned:

rings:

completed pistons:

assembled block:

so my father started assembling the block at around 11:00 AM, he repaired a car in the afternoon, and by the time I got home from my girlfriend he finished the block!

So, on Friday at around 11-12:00 AM the engine went back to it's own place. Only took pictures later in the afternoon as I was a tad bit busy assembling the engine

We left the engine like that at 19:20.

On the following day I helped my father in the morning, and as always I went out with my gf, so my father had to finish it again At around 15:00 the engine fired into life!

no engine in the back:

at theis point the rear section of the car was in need of a bit of OCD

genuine wheel centre caps arrived:

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

New IHI turbocharger was installed as the original was knocked out...

As the engine was running fine, and everything is in order now we can concentrate on the cosmetical stuffs.

So, at first I installed the new centre display.

Before:

After:

While I was there I replaced the hazard switch's bulb:

to do that the whole centre console had to be taken apart:

On Sunday I cracked on working on the interior. First, the boot:

Before:

After:

shiny shiney

After the boot floor has been hoovered out several times, making it black again instead of gray I applied foam based carpet cleaner:

(I have to admit that with the boot I was lucky as my mother and my father removed most of the dirt/food remains from the carpet before, so I only had to give a bit of last touch to it! They said the spare wheel area was filled with sunflower seeds - I found a few under the jack area aswell...)

And then I turned my attention a bit further front, i.e. backseats.

This is what I found under them:

disgusting

50/50:

Other side:

Under the carpet:

foamed up:

after:

A bit better I say!

So I hoovered the seats, cleaned the underside and the sides of them, and then secured them back in place.

I also removed a chewing gum from the carpet, and the plastic next to the seat:

It is barely visible now, and when the seat is down noone can spot it!

After the seats were in I hoovered the upper part of them:

These are still in need of a good cleaning, together with the roof lining ang the plastics on the pillars, but I'll only crack on with these after the car has came back from the painter as everyone knows what kind of mess they can make

Finished boot area:

Cleaning was done with whatever cheap stuff I had lying here, but after they were sealed with Aerospace 303.

Then my father installed the front lower wishbone bush, and we removed a few parts from the car prior to painting:

no rear bumper:

scratch to be repaired:

scratch in the rear door:

lacquer peel under the indicator:

side of the car:

both front and rear bumpers were resprayed

refurbed alloys:

Last edited by Testor VTS; 06-01-2011 at 08:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Testor VTS For This Useful Post:
Deep blue (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

it seemed like we were slowy approaching the finish line of this project... it"s not our fault that it took such long time, but the car spent full 4 weeks at the painter!!!!!! :tickedoff: for a two day job...

we received the car, the bumpers and the mirror covers on Friday, and on Sunday the whole exterior was finished!

So... onto the pics...

On Friday I did a bit of work on the interior, as the roof lining was black in some places!!!!!!!!! Forgot to take a picture of that, but it's still not 100% clean

I cleaned all the white plastics with regular Pronto - it's magical on white!!!!

only have this pic tho... :

before:

after:

while I was fettling with the interior father has fitted the mirorr covers and the bumpers

On Saturday we attacked the grey! looking paint:

start:

overall condition of the paint:

clay bar after the bonnet:

clay lube:

The paint felt like proper sandpaper before claying, but after it was silk smoooooth!

After the whole thing was finished, we washed the car again and started polishing. I used a rotary with a black foam pad and Wolf's polish to achieve this:

Back to black! :coolsmiley:

we did the same on the whole car:

left side finished:

At this point it got dark... we finished the bumpers in absolute darkness with lights and then washed the car again to remove polish residue - in the night

And then the car was rolled into the garage.

I dried the whole car and then applied Dodo Juice Lime Prime, and after a coat of Dodo Juice Hard Candy wax.

In the meantime father applied a coat of Rubbish Boy's Wheel Sealant to the wheels, and dressed the tyres with Wolf's tyre dressing. He also fed the plastics and cleaned the windows.

at this point it was 19:30 and we went back to the house knackered

The following day I took a few pictures of the Mazda for the for sale advert: - will have to decide which of these I'll use -

Reflection shots:

Wheels:

it rained today, so I took the opportunity to do some beading shots:

We got rid of the stone chips on the bonnet and we fixed the cruise control problem which was brake light switch related.

checklist for future:

-clean roof lining
-clean seats
-clean carpets

Comments welcome!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Testor VTS For This Useful Post:
AlexTsinos (06-01-2011), Jesse74 (14-09-2011), TubbyTwo (14-09-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
RandomlySet
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,305 Posts
Garage
Very nice.... What IHI turbo is that?
RandomlySet is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RandomlySet For This Useful Post:
Testor VTS (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
X-Man
Unwashed Member

Wow, just wow!!!! Fantastic turnaround. Good luck with the sale, hop it sees a tidy profit!
X-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to X-Man For This Useful Post:
Testor VTS (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Testor VTS
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mat- View Post
Very nice.... What IHI turbo is that?
Thanks, just the original, but I like IHI chargers, so I was happy when I saw those letters and not Garrett