Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 22-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
jdquinn
Washmitt Meister

Garage
F31 320d DIY detail.

Hi all,

I recently changed my motor from a E350 CDI coupe to this car. I loved the Mercedes but the last 6 months was just fixing problem after problem leaving me stranded a couple of times. It was relatively low mileage and well looked about in my ownership; just lost all faith in the thing. I bit the bullet and bought this motor. Got a decent finance package at the local BMW dealer and sold the merc privately which gained £1500 over trade in.

The car is a F31 320d with the m sport performance plus package. The rear diffuser and front lip spoiler are non genuine but BMW sold it as approved used anyway. Car had just 20k miles on it in just under 3 years and came with the balance of a 5 year maintenance package.

It wasn’t too grubby to start. i forgot to take pre wash pics, these are as I was starting to soak.

9.30 am start; Wash process was a standard 2bm wash with some g101 added to the autowash shampoo. I followed this up with a decontamination with AS red 7 and a de-tar with AS Tardis. Another 2BM wash to cleanse the remnants from the tardis. I used a AS clay cloth to pull the remaining contaminants out. I was really surprised at how much claying was needed, especially on the horizontal panels, this took approx an hour on its own. A quick run over the engine bay followed then by another 2bm wash and a dry with a micro fibre drying towel.

Post wash prior to clay:

By now it was 13.30. Time for lunch.

At 14.15 I pulled the car into the garage. It took longer than expected to wash and decontaminate so I skipped the polishing step. The paintwork is very good anyway so not really required this time. Very few swirls and no holograms and very few rds. Either the previous owner took care of it or BMW gave it a buff prior to sale.

My go to wax is collinite 915 marque d’elegance. I used to hate this wax but since the garage was finished I’ve waxed a few cars with it in there and it has been superb to use. I used a micro fibre applicator and using a overlapping circular motion applied the wax. It probably had taken me 3 hrs to apply and remove the wax including the wheels (without wheel removal) and the door shuts. Although slow to apply i enjoyed every minute taking care to ensure I really worked it into the paintwork. I found that a quick pass didn’t adequately cover the paint, I had to use this slow technique to get the coverage. The results however were worth it.

Following waxing, the plastics were dressed with an old bottle of carplan black trim wax. Nasty stuff to use but good results and lasts well if given time to dry. Rubber trim was given a quick run over with AG vinyl and rubber dressing and the windows cleaned with AG fast glass and a glass polishing cloth. Tyres were dressed with AS High Style.

This all took me to 19:00. Needed to spend an hour or two with the family so finished up for the night.

The results:

The interior wasn’t bad. A couple of hours this morning with a vac and G101 on the seats and plastics followed by a quick clean of the windows with AG fast glass.

All in all around 12 hours work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jdquinn; 22-09-2019 at 08:57 PM.
jdquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jdquinn For This Useful Post:
bigchunk (25-09-2019), Cookies (22-09-2019), johny555ive (22-09-2019), JwilliamsM (01-10-2019), slim_boy_fat (25-09-2019)
Old 23-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
S800BRN
Sponge Jockey

Awesome effort! Came up really well - credit to you!
S800BRN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S800BRN For This Useful Post:
jdquinn (23-09-2019)
Old 24-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
MAW73
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Fantastic work - thats lovely car with some great m performance parts. Although I would lose the ///M badge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
MAW73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAW73 For This Useful Post:
jdquinn (24-09-2019), JwilliamsM (01-10-2019)
Old 24-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Lewis_RX8
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAW73 View Post
Fantastic work - thats lovely car with some great m performance parts. Although I would lose the ///M badge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
reminds me of this
Love that type of comedy
Lewis_RX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #5
Stuarth
Unwashed Member

Garage
Looks the business
Stuarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
V5Ade
Washmitt Meister

Cracking job
V5Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
JwilliamsM
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
beauty of a car, i really wish they made an M3 estate i would have bought one. as above, i'd lose the M badge too, it's just not needed as the cars so smart
JwilliamsM is offline   Reply With Quote