Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

Following the sale of my 1969 Mk2 Mini, I was able to re-visit an itch I'd had a number of years earlier, the majestic W124 series Mercedes Benz.

The last model W124 I owned was back in 2006 and it was a facelift 1994 model E200 4dr Auto, in Blue Black with light grey leather. As I found out at the time the 1994 period for Mercedes-Benz was in the early stages (many say) of the declining quality of their vehicles and finishes and indeed I had to deal with a number of corrosion issues on the 1994 car that were simply not evident on earlier models.

So, the decision was made to hunt down a pre-facelift model no newer than 1990-1991, and I wanted a six cylinder petrol model, as they offer a nicer soundtrack over the four pots.

I found a 1991 model for sale with only two previous owners in it's 32 years, Sister and Brother it turns out, a glowing history file, sensible mileage and full leather, along with the 2.6 straight six engine.

Resplendent in solid Arctic White paint, with full (Miami Vice Era) blue leather, it was an expensive car in it's day, indeed it wasn't cheap by modern standards, but what is these days...?

Some pics from the dealers advert.

It's home now, tucked up in the garage awaiting a summer of gentle miles and sympathetic improvements.

It drives faultlessly, is smooth and subtle and will be a lovely companion for days out, shows ect.

Plans are -

Full decontamination and machine polish
Seats removal and deep clean inside
Refresh the leather - clean, feed and dye in certain areas
Full underbody clean, arches, floorpan and engine bay
Powdercoat cam cover and air box
New coolant header tank
New Servo pipe
Refresh coolant hoses
Fit my private plate on
Get some original spec dealer plates made with Arlington Motor Group Northampton Mercedes Benz on

I've already sourced a set of 15" 15 Hole alloys for the car, here they are as collected the other evening..

These have had the tyres removed and binned, and are being refurbished as we speak. A new set of Continental 195/65/VR15 tyres are on the way also.

I have found a set of used MB mudflaps as well so they will go on soon.

More updates as i get into the car properly.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers folks, the plans are subtle and revolve mostly around gently cleaning and beautifying the good base that's there.

I'm pleased to find that Mercedes still supply huge numbers of parts for these cars still and they are reasonably priced, I'm making sure to check them before buying non-genuine parts on line.

I'll update the pictures more when I get the wheels back from the powder coaters, I've also invested in a matching 5th alloy for the spare so at least the full set on and in the car will match.

I have a question for you folks though, on the car is the original dealer rear window sticker - see here -

Now while I can locate correct dealer number plates from the wonders of the Internet, I'm struggling to find anyone who can replicate the original rear window sticker and ideally the self cling tax disc holder. I've looked at the original suspects - DMB Graphics and none has one for Arlington. Do you know on anyone who could make one up from the images here? Same for the tax disc holder?

Cheers

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love these old barges and I love your threads, so onto a winner here :lol:

With regards to the dealer plates, disc holders etc, have a word with Nick at Retro Plates. He is on FB and is the dogs doo-dahs at ocd attention to detail.

He makes the tax disc holders and dealer window stickers etc

I think he is maybe away on holiday at the moment, but drop him a message, i'm sure he will be able to pull it out of the bag :thumb:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love these old barges and I love your threads, so onto a winner here :lol:

With regards to the dealer plates, disc holders etc, have a word with Nick at Retro Plates. He is on FB and is the dogs doo-dahs at ocd attention to detail.

He makes the tax disc holders and dealer window stickers etc

I think he is maybe away on holiday at the moment, but drop him a message, i'm sure he will be able to pull it out of the bag :thumb:
Hiya - yeah i've messaged Nick and he's way till the 14th, but he's done some Arlington plates recently so that part i know he can do. I'll see what he says when he's back as his work looks spot on.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Very nice and from the time Mercedes was a high quality manufacturer with a decent status.
I had one of them in the 300D version, lovely car, lovely to drive and you just felt the quality.
It’s funny, I never drove that car very fast, as soon as you sat down, you relaxed and didn’t feel the need to push it.
Did many a trip to my customers all over Germany and it was a very pleasant Autobahn companion.

Enjoy, looking forward to the improvements, and as I found often in the past, Mercedes original parts are fair priced and often available.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've done good!!

Well, DMB graphics have I should say. I sent Dave there a number of close up images and sizes of the rear window stickers and this is the design he did. Pretty damned accurate if you ask me??

He was also pleased to tell me that having not done reproduction dealer plates for a few years, they are now back doing them, so all being well he will get me the artwork for the plates and the tax disc holder in the next few days.

Can't wait to get them on the car.

:thumb:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in the midst of construction and renovation works at home currently so time is limited to go tinker in the garage (or so I'm told....) but I did manage an hour or so the other evening.

In preparation for the number plates arriving, I decided to remove the vile rear plastic number plate surround and the post 2001 font plate that was adhesive tape stuck to it. Those of you that know Mercedes of old know that the rear number plates should be mounted with four screws on four separate stand off's mounted on the boot lid. This means the plate has air flowing underneath it, and stops the plate rattling when closing the boot lid, after all that would be terribly unrefined.

Horror stories abound on the forums of the stand offs and screws being corroded into place and disaster unfolding when trying to remove them. On mine I simply prized the stuck on plate off and then unscrewed the plastic holder. The standoffs were grubby but not corroded and they had at least used the OE Mercedes M6 Pan Head bolts to secure the plastic surround. This is the benefits of a car that's been garaged it's whole life I guess.

I then decided to deep clean the bootlid, and started with the 32 years of badge gunk. Not the worst I have seen or dealt with but again, as it's on a white background, the grub shows up. Yes I know removing the badges would be the "right" way to do it, but they are original and never been off so I wanted to retain that.

Before pics..

Tools of choice were a medium bristle tooth brush, some Cartec 9000 finishing polish and Bilt Hamber Surfex HD.

Mixing a splash of HD and Cartec up in an aerosol cap, then using the brush to agitate the badges all over, clean off with some Surfex in a spray bottle and blow out the residue using the blow gun on the air line. Dry and buff up with a yellow MF towel.

After..

I'm now deep cleaning the area underneath the registration plate and will be machining this with the Megs MF correction kit on the DA, before waxing with Soft 99 Kings of Gloss.

I'll get some more pics up of the boot lid when finished.

Next job after this is to remove the rear lamp clusters and boot lid seal for a deep clean and polish of those areas. Doing it bit by bit means I can get it done in the odd hour I have here and there.

Matt

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice work; I love these older Mercedes...well I love Mercedes full stop really. :) I like the little details you've done like the deep cleaning in places not even seen. I'll be the same when I pick up my 'new' car next week: I was pleased to see 'matching dirt' in various places as it confirmed lack of crash repairs, but I will be deep cleaning all of those bits too.

I'll copy your Surfex HD process on the badges too no doubt.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still on DIY mandated duties so spent little time tinkering over the weekend.

DMB Graphics have come good on the whole "reproduction" pack, they are supplying dealer plates (with the personalised number that is going on), along with the rear window sticker and tax disc holder..

I've also had the correct period tax disc reproduced with the personalised number on and the original supplying tax office Northampton stamp on as well. It's the little details.

Whilst ordering all of these I have also ordered a set of the J reg plates with Arlington on as well, again in the correct pre 2001 font, for when (and if) that I sell the car down the line, at least the plates will match the stickers etc for the next owners.

Further news - the 15" 15 Hole Alloys, known in certain circles as the Gullideckel style have been freshly restored and powdercoated by the excellent chaps down at Project Powdercoating in Brierley Hill. Jack (one of the owners there) offered to fit the tyres for me as well, and knowing they'll have a vested interest in looking after the fresh wheels, I have taken him up on the offer. So this morning I have dropped off a set of five new Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres in 195/65/15 flavour. Importantly they are the V rated ones as the 260e has a higher top speed than the 2.0 litre models who can run H rated tyres. This way all 5 wheels and tyres will be as "new", including the spare.

I'll get some pics up of the wheels when they are home.

Matt

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Collected the wheels late this afternoon from Project. A lovely job throughout as usual.

The wheel bolts are specific to the Mercedes alloys of this era, with a radius seat whereas the steel wheels come with 60 degree taper seats, hence the bolts being none interchangable.

Plus the 17mm heads on the alloy wheel bolts are longer, meaning they sit pretty flush with the wheel face.

I've reused the original plastic centre caps for now until I come across a set of new genuine plain MB star caps, the aftermarket ones are cheap and cheerful in comparison and OE is where this one is at.

More soon

Matt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts