Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work I use the 3m range of compounds after flated or nibbed a panel I go to polish up with either fast cut plus or xl but can never seem to be able to get rid of the marring and scratches that it leaves even following up with there yellow top and pads they don't shift I make sure the pads I use are clean And try different work times with the compound to break it down is there a trick to this compound or is there an alternative to use as a follow up to this step because it is frustrating to see the scratches it leaves behind any help thx:thumb:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Probably either not working it fast enough or not long enough or not enough pressure I'd of thought. How long have you been working it for?

Are you using their green pad with it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's been a long time since I used the 3M range.

I used to add a little ultrafina to fast cut plus to increase work time. Its oily nature really helped for me.

1800-2000 RPM was my preferred speed range for fast cut plus

As above I'd say cutting sets short is probably the culprit

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
At work I use the 3m range of compounds after flated or nibbed a panel I go to polish up with either fast cut plus or xl but can never seem to be able to get rid of the marring and scratches that it leaves even following up with there yellow top and pads they don't shift I make sure the pads I use are clean And try different work times with the compound to break it down is there a trick to this compound or is there an alternative to use as a follow up to this step because it is frustrating to see the scratches it leaves behind any help thx:thumb:
Make sure the pads are flat too. I see lotsof people on rotory angling pads for flat surfaces which is going to cause trails and holograms every time. I think you should hit it with Blue Top as that is their recommended finishing polish. I didn't know any of the other 3M compounds could finish down perfect other then Ultrafina, althought I haven't used any of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been extending the length of work time but dont know how long i havent timed myself what is the amount of time it should be worked .??and i do use green pad with green top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.