Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My trusty tub of AG HD wax is running out so I'm asking advice for what next ?

I've been happy with it, seems easy to use and lasts pretty well - seems to have gone up in price a lot since I bought it though (I paid about £22 for it)

Is there anything else I should try at a similar price or shall I just get another ?

Its for a graphite grey Cooper S

thanks

·
DW Superstar
5,337 Posts
Try the Farecla G3 Supergloss paste wax. I was lucky to pick one up for £15 after trying to land the AG HD for a steal. It goes on so easy and comes off just the same with great beading. This is our Cooper's black roof.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
If you're after something to give similar durability it will be very difficult to find something to match that within a similar budget. Water behaviour of it is also very good and long lasting. As a comparison for these maybe look at a liquid sealant.

For ease of use and finish there are lots that will better it in the same price range.

Depends what you're looking for in a wax?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
SNH was a much nicer wax to use and a better finish IMO, but the water behaviour and outright durability wasn't as long lasting as HDwax, still a good alround performer so maybe a good compromise especially at the cheap price.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
If you're specifically after wax how about something like R222, SONAX Xtreme Carnauba Wax or ADS Obsidian Wax, otherwise Jetseal109 is easy to use and offers great performance.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Why not try one of the BMD (Black Magic Detail) waxes? They have a group buy in here at the moment but for £25 you will get a great wax like Helios, which adds lovely depth and warmth and with a couple of coats, will give around 6 months protection. Take a look in their section on here. Lovely waxes and very easy to use.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I'm running BMD helius and origins on my car at the moment, been on just over a month and already tar spots are sticking, and water behaviour is dropping off. This was with 2 coats after a full decon and IPA wipedown.

They look lovely, but very dissapointed in the claimed 3 to 4 months claimed durability. This is based on a daily used car averaging 3-500miles a week, so maybe on a less used car the claimed might be achievable

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I really like HD wax, water performance and durability are very good for the price (~50 CAD). I am however not SUPER impressed with ease of use. I always find it grabbier to apply then my other waxes (this is of course using AG applicator, might be time to try a new one). FK1000P is what I've been appyling lately, as it's winter, but in a few days or so I have a detail where I'll be using 476S. So far these are my go to's. Sonax BSD is top up (works great on AGHD). Unfortunately those are the only ones I have current experience, as well as Poor Boy's EX sealant (doesn't last as long as the others). Hope to get some more stuff in one day when it's justifiable.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Can agree with your comments on application there sheep.

With ref to your bsd top ups, its something that I've been looking into his winter. I've heard as its more of a sealant than QD IT needs a clean base to keep its performance. How have you found it last over a wax base?.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I'm running BMD helius and origins on my car at the moment, been on just over a month and already tar spots are sticking, and water behaviour is dropping off. This was with 2 coats after a full decon and IPA wipedown.

They look lovely, but very dissapointed in the claimed 3 to 4 months claimed durability. This is based on a daily used car averaging 3-500miles a week, so maybe on a less used car the claimed might be achievable
I'm quite surprised at that Dave. Up until Sunday I had Helios and Sirius on my car. A daily driver too but around 300 miles a week and the last wax had been applied just over a month ago, like you. I did my winter detail on Sunday so decontaminated my car which had no tar (but it is quite rare that I pick a lot up). Water behaviour was still working well too.

I do intend to put Helios on top of my winter coating when I next wash as I do like this wax.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.