Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

15k here and I ain?t even got a lollipop
Followed this from concept and they watered down design as they do , but has to be one of the best Alfa's by a country mile I love it and will have to get a test drive

Registered
Quick too, although not a great engine. Well designed car and not a bad price for the technology used to build it.

Personally it would make a great investment but I'd rather go second hand Elise and second hand e90 M3 4dr for 拢48k budget.

Registered
Evo magazine gave it a bit of a negative review in their latest ECOTY test.
Can't find the vid on youtube yet, but it's available via their android ap.

Biggest moans were the steering was very unpredictable and the engine was poor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Registered
That review was at the launch with press cars supplied by Alfa, at locations Alfa set, they were unable to drive it on the track and were only able to passenger for a few laps.

The ECOTY test is more recent with driving on real world roads and how they wanted to drive.

To sum up they really liked the cars design and concept, they just thought that the concept was ruined by a poor engine and steering.

Not sure how far Alfa are along with production yet, no chance they can do anything with the engine as they're not going to change that at this stage, but sorting out the steering ratio should be fairly easy to implement.

Alfa really missed a trick here by not installing a V6, those "Halfords special" headlights don't help either.

Be a brave man/woman to chose Italian electrics over a Cayman, no matter what the motor or headlights.

Registered
Alfa really missed a trick here by not installing a V6, those "Halfords special" headlights don't help either.

Be a brave man/woman to chose Italian electrics over a Cayman, no matter what the motor or headlights.
Alfa could have installed a V6 but (like Toyota with the GT86) the goal was not ultimate performance

The facts are there for all to see -
1. People are moving away from bigger capacity V6 / V8s etc
2. Bigger engine would mean more weight which in turn would require bigger / heavier brakes, bigger / heavier radiators and so n, a viscous upward weight spiral thus totally destroying the low weight philosophy of the 4C

Look at the Exige V6 - undoubtedly faster than the previous 4 pots but is it actually a better car - debatable

Italian electrics - only electrical issues I have ever had with my Alfas has been down to Bosch (German) components

Would I buy a 4c over a Cayman - depends - the Cayman is a practical day to day car, the 4c I see as much more of a high days and holidays car - whilst similar in price and engine placement I think that's where the similarities end

Registered
Alfa could have installed a V6 but (like Toyota with the GT86) the goal was not ultimate performance

2. Bigger engine would mean more weight which in turn would require bigger / heavier brakes, bigger / heavier radiators and so n, a viscous upward weight spiral thus totally destroying the low weight philosophy of the 4C

Look at the Exige V6 - undoubtedly faster than the previous 4 pots but is it actually a better car - debatable

Italian electrics - only electrical issues I have ever had with my Alfas has been down to Bosch (German) components

Would I buy a 4c over a Cayman - depends - the Cayman is a practical day to day car, the 4c I see as much more of a high days and holidays car - whilst similar in price and engine placement I think that's where the similarities end
Problem is though Andy cars like this NEED to pluck at peoples heart strings
No one NEEDS a 2 seater coup茅 it's something that should instil want in a person.

That's tough with a soulless 4 pot

Anyone that's owned a fair few cars will have bought with their heart on more than on occasion, you know there and then while you're handing you're hard earned over that this is not the wisest buy you've ever made.
But still you do it and you do it with a smile.

Not even seen a 4c in the flesh yet, never mind driven one, but from the Evo vid the engine sounded like a asthmatic fish on it's last death breath.
Compared to a fruity Cayman, 370z or even Elise engine note and for me at least my heart move on to one of the other cars.

But then i bought a 3.2L V6 A3 100% based on the engine, so it's not like i'm no biased towards nice sounding motors.

I've owned several Italian cars and motorbikes and probably will own others in the future, i hate it when people sum up cars by the geographical location of their manufacturers.
I think it's lazy and mainly just plain wrong.

Alfa don't exactly have a good track record when it comes to their cars reliability though.
This coming from someone that has owned a few other the years.

I'm certain modern Alfa's are better than the ones of the 70's, 80's and 90's but it'd still be a brave step of faith to chose one as a daily over say a Cayman reliability wise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've owned several Italian cars and motorbikes and probably will own others in the future, i hate it when people sum up cars by the geographical location of their manufacturers.
You did it yourself. :lol:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Problem is though Andy cars like this NEED to pluck at peoples heart strings
No one NEEDS a 2 seater coup茅 it's something that should instil want in a person.

That's tough with a soulless 4 pot

Anyone that's owned a fair few cars will have bought with their heart on more than on occasion, you know there and then while you're handing you're hard earned over that this is not the wisest buy you've ever made.
But still you do it and you do it with a smile.

Not even seen a 4c in the flesh yet, never mind driven one, but from the Evo vid the engine sounded like a asthmatic fish on it's last death breath.
Compared to a fruity Cayman, 370z or even Elise engine note and for me at least my heart move on to one of the other cars.

But then i bought a 3.2L V6 A3 100% based on the engine, so it's not like i'm no biased towards nice sounding motors.

Alfa don't exactly have a good track record when it comes to their cars reliability though.
This coming from someone that has owned a few other the years.

I'm certain modern Alfa's are better than the ones of the 70's, 80's and 90's but it'd still be a brave step of faith to chose one as a daily over say a Cayman reliability wise.
An Alfa 4C is never going to be an everyday car.

I confidently bet that the people buying the 4C aren't choosing between that and the Cayman. Apart from being 2 seater sports cars, they aren't really in direct competition to each other.

Alfas always pull on the heartstrings. I bet they have no issue selling this car as the desirability factor is very high.

Registered
I called into my local Alfa Dealer last week hoping to see one, the salesman who I know quite well said he doubted he will get one this year, apparently they are still having a few production issues. I loved the concept car, but hate the production lights with a passion (although haven't seen them in the flesh). It will have to be an amazing drive to get me out of my new Cayman as it doesn't have the visual impact that I'd hoped it would, the interior also looks a little low rent. I'm still looking for forward to seeing and driving one though.Alfa have to be applauded for trying something different, especially the carbon tub, I just hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew.

Registered
An Alfa 4C is never going to be an everyday car.

I confidently bet that the people buying the 4C aren't choosing between that and the Cayman. Apart from being 2 seater sports cars, they aren't really in direct competition to each other.

Alfas always pull on the heartstrings. I bet they have no issue selling this car as the desirability factor is very high.
Is it as good as an exige on track or sound as good?

Is it a tiny bit more real world than the exige?

What heartstrings does it pull? The 8c sounds fantastic, this, just leaves me a little cold.

15k here and I ain?t even got a lollipop

Yes bang on the money new M3 another down sizing engines they are all being forced to lower group emissions

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.