Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
king of the flexonian
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we have a brand new, and more importantly NOT BLACK Audi A1. This was to be my first real opportunity to apply our new mohs coatings with proper timings in moderate temperatures. As it was brand new, we still went through the usual wash and decontamination routine, but as it was in all fairness VERY well prepped so a very light machining is all the paint required

These are the results from a finishing pad and polish set

After 2 wipedowns it was time to apply Artdekeegan 5 to all the paint, if it was red, it was coated. This is lee, the owner, rebuffing after the initial removal

The next day job one was to apply Artdespiros, this is the top, hydrophobic coat. What struck me quickly was how it seemed to melt into the paint, or rather the coat below. Initially it looked like this

And after a minute or so it was like this

As you can see, little to buff, and what we did buff was effortless. High spots were easy to notice, and just as easy to knock off

At this point the attention was turned to wheels. Each was taken off, washed, decontaminated, dried, wiped down with spies hecker, then Artdewheel was applied. After that hydrophobic tyre was applied, and this was warmed through with a heat gun

I also added a little of the glitter dressing into the hydro, its not as in the face as it is neat, it only really comes out to play in the sun

Rarely it was a sunny day, a great chance to inspect our work, and make sure we caught all the high spots. Also REALLY showed off the colours!

Whilst some of us chilled

Some of us got on with trim and glass protection

And finally the all important finished shots. Ideally i would have liked to store it for a further 12 hours, but that isn't real life. I think these simple phone shots give a true idea of the depth of finish and gloss achieved. Not sterile in anyway, infact in person it kind of looked "alive" if that makes sense

Thanks for stopping by, stay classy

Matt

·
king of the flexonian
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks superb Matt, very bright red indeed! My new motor will be VW Tornado Red so I'm going through the process of which LSP I should use... I want to Nano the bumpers, and wax the rest so ADS may well feature in both aspects!
There was a little surprise with this paint jon, although its sold as solid red (i am told), it has golden flake in it which surprised lee (the owner in the pictures). Thats where the orange came from in the sun. Its a really nice colour mate you will without question do it justice

·
I'm not addicted...I'm NOT!
2,154 Posts
Lee, you aren't the first Audi owner to express surprise at what he finds in
his paint. I'll bet that like the other fellah I know, you're thrilled about it.

By the end of those 2 days I reckon you were both just wishing to see any
colour _other_ than red, at least some time to rest your eyes. Going dizzy
barely describes it.

What Matt forgot to say is that once hardened-off that paint isn't just shiny,
it's <insert superlative of choice> smoooooooooooooooooooth...

I know you're going to enjoy the results of that detail - well done!

Regards,
Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.