Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Given that you're all a pretty knowledgeable bunch I thought I'd test you with a quick question.

Been looking at an Audi A3 today, it's a 2000 1.6 Sport with full leather etc and only 22k on the clock. Just spoken to the dealer and it doesn't sound like it's ever had the cam belt changed but does have a full service history.

They are asking £2995 for it but I'm not sure I can entertain paying that without the belts being done, even though the car looks mint. Does anyone know what the rough cost is for a belt & water pump change and a realistic price for the car? I found a similar model with slightly higher mileage and the belts done for the same price but it's an auto :(

Cheers

·
Administrator
36,237 Posts
Hi all

Given that you're all a pretty knowledgeable bunch I thought I'd test you with a quick question.

Been looking at an Audi A3 today, it's a 2000 1.6 Sport with full leather etc and only 22k on the clock. Just spoken to the dealer and it doesn't sound like it's ever had the cam belt changed but does have a full service history.

They are asking £2995 for it but I'm not sure I can entertain paying that without the belts being done, even though the car looks mint. Does anyone know what the rough cost is for a belt & water pump change and a realistic price for the car? I found a similar model with slightly higher mileage and the belts done for the same price but it's an auto :(

Cheers
No idea on what its worth but i am sure i saw somewhere its about £600 for the belt.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

It is super low mileage and, from the pics I've seen, looks to be in great condition. The dealer has said that the belt looks brand new but they would say that! Just wondering whether to go and see it in person and try to beat the price down enough to cover the cost of a belt change. Just a shame it's an hours drive away.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Its was £520 to get my belt and water pump at main dealers on my A4. Water pump is worth doing when you change the belt. Not sure on the A3 but the belt should be changed every 5 years on the A4 regardless of the mileage.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
We pay £350 for the cambelt and waterpump. That's with an indi, ok that's on a 1.8 t mk1 tt but I thought the 1.6 is the 8v in the a3. However 3k would get you something much newer and if the receipts don't show a cambelt I'd question how it's been looked after and if the 22k is genuine. The last thing a dealer would want is a car with a receipt for a cambelt with 100k on the click :lol:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers all, have come to the same conclusion having thought about it a but more this afternoon.

Found a few other low mileage cars for around the same money including a nice Citroen C5 so not too upset.

·
DW Supporter
6,147 Posts
Sounds like the price has been vastly inflated because of the low miles.
Realistically that car is sub £2k.

I'd be looking for a car which has average or above average mileage (based on 12k miles p.a) & has been serviced according to the manufacturers timetable.

Enjoy the hunt:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.