Detailing World Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, looking to tap the hive mind with this one.

My new-to-me car has covered only 11k miles and for most of that the previous owner seems to have driven most of those miles with his/her elbow on the door capping and has created a shiny spot about 4 inches long and a couple wide.

At least this is what I think has happened. I've tried IPA which removed it temporarily - it returned shortly after which I find strange.

I've also tried AG Vinyl & Rubber Care, Valet Pro Black to the Future, White Spirit, Poor Boys Interior Cleaner and none have either touched it or made a lasting difference.

The surface feels different to the touch and you can certainly feel it when you run a MF cloth over it. I really can't work out how it seems to disappear then return. An oil/silicone perhaps?

The best outcome so far was to gently brush it with a fine Scotch-pad then wipe down with a wet MF cloth. I tested this approach on a hidden part of the door card and couldn't make it change finish so I figured, if used with care, I was unlikely to mess up the trim.

If it's a surface contaminant, what can I use to remove it?
Is there a long lasting matte finish dressing available that may help cover it up?

I don't have a photo of it at present, it's currently not available for photographs but I'm expecting it to return shortly😆

Edit: I think this may be heat activated. The car has been closed all day in high temperatures and here it is back :rolleyes:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Out of curiosity I did check out the price of replacing the door card - it was lucky I was sitting down o_O

TIA for any advice/suggestions.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yep, I think sun cream would have stained and it does look typically like silicone product. Dried silicone usually takes repeated attempts- I think it dries in layers, but restrict your cleaning to the soiled area as silicone has ahabit of spreading. A proprietary silicone cleaner.
That said, maybe someone can advise if proper panel wipe is OK on the door card (it’s plastic so i would have thought so?) - your IPA may have removed one micro layer.
edited to remove one suggestion as I recall silcone needs a ‘solution’ to remove it as anything abrasive merely spreads the silicone further.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
As above, does look like it’s a ‘grease’ of some kind…

Have you tried an APC - ? Trying a household one specifically for removal of grease - I’ve found the Method ones to be very good around the house - I’d spray onto your cloth and work it in, folding, wiping and repeating as necessary…
Maybe a citrus based cleaner ??

Hop you get it sorted out 👍🏻

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

From all of these it seems that an APC (I have Elbow Grease) used repeatedly, perhaps heating with a hairdryer may be productive - this also supports the observation of it being heat activated.

A citrus based cleaner and repeated application may be an alternative.

A safe dedicated product for silicone removal may be required, not sure what this might be as yet but I'm sure Google will yield answers.

I haven't got as far as locating a secondhand door card but this may become necessary once all of the above has been tried.

Thanks again, any more pearls of wisdom gratefully received!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any particular brand of APC that's recommended? I had another go with Elbow Grease and a small scrubbing brush and it seems to have reduced slightly in appearance, just wondering if perhaps there's something better available.

Magic sponges[erasers] - are these all the same or should I be looking for any brand in particular?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Magic Eraser and Green Star, i had the same on my A4 when i bought it, took a bit of going but brought it back to new, just make sure you do the whole panel so it doesnt leave any patches

·
Registered
774 Posts
Is there any particular brand of APC that's recommended? I had another go with Elbow Grease and a small scrubbing brush and it seems to have reduced slightly in appearance, just wondering if perhaps there's something better available.

Magic sponges[erasers] - are these all the same or should I be looking for any brand in particular?
The only APC I use is BH Surfex HD, I am sure other APC's will work. I used cheap Magix Sponges from B&M Bargains and they worked fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts