Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....

So, I'd been looking into machine polishing for a few months and after some gentle persuasion from my mate 'across the pond' (you know who you are, and thank you for your endless amounts of advice and support), I took the first few steps by buying the necessary kit, attending some 1-2-1 tuition with Matt from Magic Detail, and then reading up on what to do and what not to do.

I didn't for one second think this was going to be easy, but I was certainly guilty (and naïve) of thinking I would pick it up fairly easily. So I thought I would share my 'first time machine polishing experience' with you and have included some before and after pics of my journey.

My girlfriend very kindly agreed for me to use her 2008 Audi TT 3.2 V6 as my 'detailing project', and my first mistake was in thinking I could get the polishing done in a day....! We're lucky enough to have a garage at home but it's tiny, and you can barely get a car in there, let alone walk around one. So I managed to blag some space in a storage lock up down the road. The unit is used by the trade every week day, so I only had Saturday and Sunday to use the indoor space. And times were strict, 09:30 - 16:30 on the Saturday and only 11:00 - 14:00 on the Sunday. Knowing what I know now, I could have done with at least an extra full day on the machine polishing stage. But it was what it was, and I really wanted to get the whole car done that weekend.... So I pressed on...

Products used:

BH Soft Clay with ONR mix for lube
Iron-X
Dodo Juice Supernatural Tar & Glue
CarPro Hyrd02 (to seal the wheels)
Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Shampoo
Dodo Juice Total Wipe Out
Microfibre Madness Incredimitt
Megs Mitt for the wheels
Selection of brushes
Microfibre Madness Slogger / Yellow Fellow & Crazy Pile Towels
Eurow Shag Towels
Kestrel DAS-6 Pro
Lake Country Hydro Tech Pads (Crimson / Tangerine & Cyan)
Scholl Concepts S17+ (also tried S20 Blue and S30+ but settled on S17+)
CarPro Eraser
DIY Sungun
Lenser P7 LED Torch
Gtechniq T1 Tyre & Trim
Gtechniq G6 Perfect Glass
Swissvax Crystal Rock

Day 1 (at home):

3 stage de-contamination (clay / iron fall out remover and de-tar)

2BM wash

Interior - cleaned with Total Wipe Out APC - the seats had been done recently with Supernatural Leather Cleaner & Sealant, so a quick wipe over inside and vac is all that was needed.

Day2 (at the unit):

Tape up the car and get cracking with the polishing / wiping down with Eraser. Scholl S17+ on a cyan LC HT Pad was the combo I used. As I say, this was my first attempt at machine polishing and I don't have any experience with any other paint types, and although the paint was not badly marred or swirled, it wasn't in the best of shape, so the results I achieved with the products I had, were (to me), very satisfactory. I have tried to capture images of the paint condition before & after (below).

Day 3 (at the unit):

One final wipe down with Eraser and two coats of Crystal Rock, dress the tyres and clean the glass.

Due to my time restraints I didn't have time to do any fancy 50/50 shots but did try and get some before and after pics with two different light sources, which will give you an idea of how things progressed.

All in all, I was very happy with the results; it was my first time after all, and I certainly learnt a lot! I managed to polish the whole car but as I mentioned earlier, another day would have been nice, and this would have given me the opportunity to refine the finish.

Taped up & ready to go...

Rear wing before:

Rear wing after (inside with Sungun):

Rear wing after (outside with Sungun):

Rear wing outside (with LED):

Front wing / top of bonnet before:

Front wing / top of bonnet after (with Sungun):

Front wing / top of bonnet after (with LED):

And some final shots:

If you've made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read my post.
(Comments & questions always welcome...)

:thumb:

·
Registered
336 Posts
looks good mate. got a great finish on the car, and S17+ works well on the cars paint removing the swirls and working down to give a nice finish.

The time caught be out the first time i detailed a car properly but the results were well worth it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats a very accomplished piece of work for your first go

looks very glassy and bright now

how did you enjoy the first time?

looking good,well done and bravo for having a go
Cheers for the kind words :thumb:

How did I enjoy my first time? Immensely.... But I found it a bit on the stressful side! Which I have to say, was only brought on by myself, due to how much 'indoor time' I knew I had, and me wanting to get it all done within that time.

I learnt SO much and am ready to have another go. In the meantime, I'll get some practice in on my scrap panel so my technique is better, and look for some more indoor space where I can leave the car for three of four days.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great write up, a lot of food for thought there. Interesting to know your thoughts on the time needed, I'm in the same boat, yet to machine a car. Very informative and great results, cheers!
Thanks mate. The time for polishing did take me by surprise a little. As I say, I thought I'd get it boxed off in 7 or 8 hours. Now I can see, I'd need around 15 hours when I do it again next year.

I could of course do a panel at a time, over several weeks. But my OCD would go into over drive if I did it that way!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Great job, mate! Nice before and after shots (Defects are always tricky to capture.), and cracking results for your first time out. :thumb:

Machine polishing does take ages, but all that hard graft pays off, and it actually gets a bit addicting after awhile. Couldn't be without my DA... :)

Sincerely,

Steampunk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Great job, mate! Nice before and after shots (Defects are always tricky to capture.), and cracking results for your first time out. :thumb:

Machine polishing does take ages, but all that hard graft pays off, and it actually gets a bit addicting after awhile. Couldn't be without my DA... :)

Sincerely,

Steampunk
I knew when I read LC cyan pad that you were the person from across the pond.

Results are fantastic! First time or not you've done a great job there.

·
DW Superstar
5,336 Posts
Give yourself a damn good pat on the back!!
I've recently just bought the AF DAS6 Pro Kit of a DW member and can't wait to give it a blast.
It'll have to wait until the New Year tho as we are just in the process of buying a new house with a double garage that I've been longing for.
I better get on the hunt for some scrap panels!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.