Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

This weekend was a busy one, as we transitioned the trusty C4 into winter mode (winter tyres and steel rims went on, as did the winter grill, and the alloys were packed off to the shed for their winter hibernation). We also gave the car a much needed clean, as it has not been touched for three weeks and was coated in a heavy layer of motorway grease and grime.

This provided a great opportunity to test out the sample of Auto Finesse Lather I had on hand.

This is what we were dealing with:

Untitled by Chris Green, on Flickr
As you can see, quite dull looking paintwork, because it was covered in this:

It was quite mucky, but the car has a good double layer of recent wax on it, so with the right wash solution this should come off OK.

Pre-wash prep involved first treating the lower half of the car wth Auto Finesse Citrus Power - one of my favourite products. While it's quite pricey, the results are excellent. After spraying on for a few minutes, I simply rinsed off with the pressure washer - This before and after pic will hopefully give you an idea of the grime-cutting power of Citrus Power:

Then it was a quick snow foam before getting on with the actual washing:

This is the first time I've used Auto Finesse Lather, having previously opted for either Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax or Autosmart Duet. With these products, I use between 60 and 90ml of solution in my 85-90% full 22.5ltr bucket (as you can see, I usually measure out using a 30ml medicine cup):

The first thing that struck me with Lather was just how thick the concentrate solution was. Far, far thicker than the products I normally use and it took a noticeable amount of time to pour just 30ml into my measuring cup, due to how reassuringly thick it was. As this is a high dilution product, I opted to use just 30ml solution in my bucket (made up with warm, not hot water). The result was a good, soapy solution with a good head of foam, but not excessive:

Despite using just 30ml of solution, Lather delivered a surprisingly high level of lubricity, gliding easily over the surface of the car and removing excess dirt with ease. As well as leaving an excellent wet-look finish on the car, the area that particularly jumped out at me was how well the glass and chrome came up, with absolutely no smearing, water spots or other remnants as is often the case with other products I use. Lather also did not dry out quickly, even on the panels that were in direct sunlight, which was a great help. While the C4 is not the biggest car in the world, I prefer to work by washing the whole car, then rinsing, rather than going one panel at a time. based on this test, Lather is very compatible with my way of washing the car.

After washing with Lather, rinsing with the pressure washer (then with an open hose) and drying, the resulting finish was like this (I have not used any detailing spray, glass cleaner or any other product on the car at this point):

As you can see, washing with Lather has shifted the remaining dirt very effectively, and has bought out the shine and reflections on the car in a fantastic way, really showing up the curves and creases in the paintwork in a great way. I'm really happy with the result and with the lack of elbow grease needed to achieve it.

One final pic - still no QD on the car and no glass cleaner used on the windows. The only additional product used at this point was some Auto Finesse Revive on the black plastics along the bottom of the doors.

Overall - as this was my first experience using Lather, I am really impressed with it. So much so I will be using it again - the product delivers a high level of dirt shifting without compromising the final finish of the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.