Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
15k here and I ain?t even got a lollipop
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't enter the discussion if easily offended

First up just seen the thread re premium 4x4 new for under £25k

1. Do you buy your car for performace, fuel economy , image , Brand , looks, service costs, drivetrain , handling etc

2. Does it bother you watch badge is on the front I liked a Skoda Fabian as second car, and for daughter to learn to drive but this did not go down well, so it was onto seat ibiza.

3. What percentage of cars do you think are bought for the badge on premium brands and do you think they are diluting there brand image with clones.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I buy the car that I want.
However I wouldn't buy something like a brand new hyundai over a 3yr old 3 series.

I find lots of people have premium branded cars on finance just so they can have a premium branded car.

·
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I buy the car that I want.
However I wouldn't buy something like a brand new hyundai over a 3yr old 3 series.

I find lots of people have premium branded cars on finance just so they can have a premium branded car.
Thanks for that good point on the 3 year old BM rather than Hyundai is this because of deprecation? Or better all round car? Thanks Derek

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Thanks for that good point on the 3 year old BM rather than Hyundai is this because of deprecation? Or better all round car? Thanks Derek
I'd buy the BMW because that would be the car I want. I wouldn't be buying it because of the badge I would just want the better car.

Like I would never choose an audi or merc etc over a BMW.

I wouldn't say no to a skoda but it would have to be a good price and good spec.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Please don't enter the discussion if easily offended

First up just seen the thread re premium 4x4 new for under £25k

1. Do you buy your car for performace, fuel economy , image , Brand , looks, service costs, drivetrain , handling etc

2. Does it bother you watch badge is on the front I liked a Skoda Fabian as second car, and for daughter to learn to drive but this did not go down well, so it was onto seat ibiza.

3. What percentage of cars do you think are bought for the badge on premium brands and do you think they are diluting there brand image with clones.
I buy for all the reasons listed in (1) not necessarily in that order though.
That said if I won the lotto, I may try some cars that ordinarily I wouldn't buy with my hard earned , not necessarily super cars other than if you cal an Alfa 4C a super car.

·
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I buy for all the reasons listed in (1) not necessarily in that order though.
That said if I won the lotto, I may try some cars that ordinarily I wouldn't buy with my hard earned , not necessarily super cars other than if you cal an Alfa 4C a super car.
Good point as different decision if company car or business use etc than own private car

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I thin buying a car has quite a degree of snobbery and also just buying what you know either from first hand experience or second hand (ie family member or friend) and not wanting to step out of their comfort zone and try something else.
I don't think I've ever been a badge snob and after seeing what's available now on the market today, being a badge snob is just going to hit your pocket unnecessarily especially in this time of price rises on virtually everything.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Brand is a consideration for me but I think a more relevant question is:

"Do you buy what you believe will impress others"

I may need to buy a cheap family barge in the next few weeks, pretty much decided its going to be an old Saab, absolutely no badge / brand consideration, absolutely everything to do with value for money, safety and reputation for relative toughness and dependability

The Alfa was bought because I wanted it, same for the Boxster

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Loads of people buy any make of car on finance or personal lease plans otherwise they wouldn't be able to own them, I purchased my first 'premium brand' (BMW) because I love it.
I've had Ford, VW, Toyotas, Mitsubishi and even an old battered Rover and each in it's own way ticked a box.
BTW, I paid cash (well, debit card) for my BMW ;)

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I generally like to buy something a bit out ofmthe ordinary that's not something you see everyday but it's getting harder and harder especially as it now needs to tick the family box as I've got a one year old and three year old.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Loads of people buy any make of car on finance or personal lease plans otherwise they wouldn't be able to own them, I purchased my first 'premium brand' (BMW) because I love it.
I've had Ford, VW, Toyotas, Mitsubishi and even an old battered Rover and each in it's own way ticked a box.
Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with it. It's just imo the principle.

I paid cash for mine....but then again it wasn't that much lol

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Derek, I had this exact dilemma , had a 1.8 Zetec focus but with a growing family, dog and caravan in Cornwall I needed something bigger, 4year old well specked 330d or 3year mondeo, chose the bm, 4years no problems, I'll never sell it, can't speak highly enough of it:wave:

·
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brand is a consideration for me but I think a more relevant question is:

"Do you buy what you believe will impress others"

I may need to buy a cheap family barge in the next few weeks, pretty much decided its going to be an old Saab, absolutely no badge / brand consideration, absolutely everything to do with value for money, safety and reputation for relative toughness and dependability

The Alfa was bought because I wanted it, same for the Boxster
Very good point re impress others it's the enjoyment for me researching my new car and drivetrain and handling more important than looks IMHO

Good point re family barge , I had our first second car an old Astra that served us very well for the cost

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I've owned all the cars except one as the cost me £65 or less
I'm still rolling round in bangers tbh as I'm yet to be able to afford a car I want (as a daily) rather than fits a need.
Currently driving a 02 focus as I cost me nothing, just repairs it needed £300 I've spent £130 in 3 years on a exhaust (not included oils, wipers, etc etc)
I'd never get a newer car for that money.
I want a alfa 159 for my next car but there will be a mechanical sound 54 plate mondeo tdci coming for sale soon for £700 already seen that clocking 55mpg which is more important for me nowadays since new job an longer distance.
If I was to buy a new car if of Kia or vauxhall for the warranty you get.
Not a snob at all. Couldn't care less what people think

·
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes good point re finance and as business makes sense , and good point re premium brand reasoning, because you love it:thumb:

·
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Derek, I had this exact dilemma , had a 1.8 Zetec focus but with a growing family, dog and caravan in Cornwall I needed something bigger, 4year old well specked 330d or 3year mondeo, chose the bm, 4years no problems, I'll never sell it, can't speak highly enough of it:wave:
I may be very bias as had e46 330d m&s port touring , e90 330d m sport , then hankered after a change was keen on Merc if the next c class wa out I might have been tempted , but went safe lol F31 330d m Sport the best car I have ever has love it

·
15,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've owned all the cars except one as the cost me £65 or less
I'm still rolling round in bangers tbh as I'm yet to be able to afford a car I want (as a daily) rather than fits a need.
Currently driving a 02 focus as I cost me nothing, just repairs it needed £300 I've spent £130 in 3 years on a exhaust (not included oils, wipers, etc etc)
I'd never get a newer car for that money.
I want a alfa 159 for my next car but there will be a mechanical sound 54 plate mondeo tdci coming for sale soon for £700 already seen that clocking 55mpg which is more important for me nowadays since new job an longer distance.
If I was to buy a new car if of Kia or vauxhall for the warranty you get.
Not a snob at all. Couldn't care less what people think
That reminds me on the Astra we had as second car cost very little and did all repairs myself at little cost A to B cheap transport .
Similar I buy a car for me and family, mainly me, and am never worried about what others say:thumb:

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
I'm not a brand snob at all. The badge makes little difference to me.

The discussion we have too often on the BMW forums is about the 6 cylinder snobs.

I actually find it's the opposite way about. Guys who buy their BMWs with the bigger engines often care more about the driving experience and refinement, whereas those with the small engines have bought the car based on the badge on the bonnet.

They can't pretend they don't have a complex about it. Just look at how many people talk about their BMWs and you know if they just refer to it as a E92 etc, that means it has a small engine.

Without any shadow of a doubt the brand with the biggest level of snobbery at the moment is Audi. A huge percentage of people really desire that badge at the moment.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.