Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I do my dad a favour and correct the paintwork on his BMW as it was full of swirls and scratches . Anyway I decontaminated the paint then I started compounded it with a lake country hydro tech cutting pad with meguiars ultra cut compound 105 using a das -6dual action machine.Anyway after two days and multiple passes and I mean maybe a mininium ten passes on each panel Ive removed all the swirls but with a few scratches left but looked brilliant after .I was wondering if there was a better pad and compound combo as it seemed to take forever to do it or would a more powerful machine increase performance and save time.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
You could consider some MF pads although the thing to bear in mind with polishing is it is a slow process. Nothing wrong with Megs 105, although it can be a bit dusty it can also cut very hard paint.

If you have removed all the swirls but are now chasing the scratches it might be worth either leaving them or get a paint thickness gauge.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
of you want to get rid of some scratches, get a ptg and some spot pads. m105 is great, but , for me, m101 is better with foam pads and DA. take your time to do a car. it's no race

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
You might have a bit more luck with microfiber pads, but cutting by DA is hard, slow work. This is why I specifically got my Rupes Bigfoot 21.

HD Cut has more bite than M105 too, if you ever need that much cut!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.