Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nut shell, I just bought a Citroen berlingo to run the dog around in. But, the guy has obviously smoked in it and it stinks. I hate the smell of smoke!

Any ideas on how best to transform the smell of the van? I've not used any products yet and I will give it a going over with some turtle wax sented dash shine but I'm afraid this won't kill the smell of stale smoke.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Don't worry, the smell of dog will soon over power the smells of tobacco! ;)

Vacuum thoroughly to get out any ash. Pay particular attention to the seat runners and things like that; the oft overlooked areas! :)

Deep clean everything, and I mean everything! Shampoo seats, carpets, headlining, door cards, plastics... everywhere you can access. Borrow a wet vac if you have to. Personally I would use steam as well (and a tornador, but that's a different story!)

Change the cabin filter and then consider using the Odour Rescue kit from i4Detailing - well worth the money. Alternatively, use a product like Valet Pro Enzyme Odour Eater.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
My sister recently bought a second hand car that had a stink of ****. After a clean of the interior, one treatment of ozone later and it's completely odour free!

Where are you based? If you're local I could help you out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My golf stank of smoke when I bought it (and having recently stopped smoking myself, I found it really quite offensive!) a good clean and febreeze of everything - seats, carpet, headlining, parcel shelf and fabric sections of door cards - when I parked up for 3 days in a row got rid of the smell.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Take the seats out if you can, tobacco and ash gets everywhere! Especially seat runners and any gaps around your handbrake and gear stick. Wet vac everything twice, paying special attention to the roof lining and seatbelts. Then odour bomb and air out. After that just leave 2 California scents stashed for a while and you'll never smell the smoke again.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Basically, deep clean every surface that you can reach.

Use Autosmart Bio Brisk in an extraction machine to clean seats and carpets. Clean dash and all other hard surfaces with an all purpose cleaner such as G101. Headlining again with Bio Brisk either with a sponge or a Tornador if you have use of one. Glass will need cleaned too.

Change your pollen filter and run an air con sanitiser through the system to try and clean it out. You could also use an odour neutralizing car fogger.

That should get it smelling as fresh as it can be. The smell will probably still be detectable after a while if the car has been closed for a while.

Think about all the wires and surfaces behind the dash, and the sound deadening in the doorcards, the smoke will have got to theese too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My sister recently bought a second hand car that had a stink of ****. After a clean of the interior, one treatment of ozone later and it's completely odour free!

Where are you based? If you're local I could help you out.
SteveyG, I'm in South Wales so about 300 miles not local enough. Thank you for the offer though.

All of your suggestions are very good, but I don't really want to start obsessing over a van that I paid £1000 for. I really bought it so that I could spend more time detailing my M3 and carry on with my hobbies.

However, the seats are filthy and have a real build up of waxy dirt! 132,000 miles worth. So, removal and a pressure wash might be in order??? Although I am worried about drying them as it's getting pretty cold now and I don't want a wet ****!

Also, what's this perfume bomb thingy that was mentioned? How does it work?

·
Registered
621 Posts
The arsenal I use, in this order :

Bio brisk in wet vac +1
Dakota odour bomb - I use vanilla +1
Thermal fogger - vanilla neutraliser : fill car/van fully with doors shut and A/C on full, recirculate all vents open. Leave running until fog free.

I've had some proper stinkers to sort out (**** / spilt milk) and the above has never failed..

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.