1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, its een quite a while since I last posted, and quite a lot has changed
I've gone from this

to this

Had the car about 6 weeks now and loving it, but having never owned a soft top, what you you guys recommend to cleaning products and techniques?

I have hoovered it before every wash and for now the only thing I could find was locally was the Autoglym soft top cleaning kit!, which I've used, and to be honest, could not come to a fair conclusion as BOTH of the bottles triggers broke! before I had even finished coating the roof properly so I have two half bottles now with broken triggers!!

Any suggestions welcomed

Dan

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
autoglym do a cabriolet roof cleaner

its very good, and easily available.

when it comes to the protectant, nothing comes close to fabsil. used it for the first time a few months ago and it has already outperformed all the other DW leading products for this type of cause

ive used gtechniq i1, autoglym hood protectant, capro fabric etc etc... which all work great after the application has cured and we pour water over it 'ooohh lovely beads', but in the real world after bad weather and dirt and cars being washed, their protective properties disappear very quickly

fabsil is beading likes day one and water finds it hard to sit on the surface.

fabsil is also way more cost effective

·
Registered
60 Posts
You want i1 from Gtechniq (T1 is tyre/rubber dressing) once applied you only need to rinse the roof with water. (Do not use car shampoo on the roof, it will just accelerate mildew growth)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've historically used autoglym

I have the swissvax kits that's going on this weekend. If it's as good as the reviews and youtube clips I'll be happy !

I'll post after the weekend

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
autoglym do a cabriolet roof cleaner

its very good, and easily available.

when it comes to the protectant, nothing comes close to fabsil. used it for the first time a few months ago and it has already outperformed all the other DW leading products for this type of cause

ive used gtechniq i1, autoglym hood protectant, capro fabric etc etc... which all work great after the application has cured and we pour water over it 'ooohh lovely beads', but in the real world after bad weather and dirt and cars being washed, their protective properties disappear very quickly

fabsil is beading likes day one and water finds it hard to sit on the surface.

fabsil is also way more cost effective
is this what your talking about or is it a type specially for car hoods
http://www.screwfix.com/p/fabsil-un...tracking url&gclid=CJbJuMrv1LoCFfHItAodSVgAgg

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Unfortunate that the AG bottle broke. I have used it loads of times and it always delivered for cleaning and sealing. Get some bottles off ebay (approx. £5.99 for 3). That said the Renovo stuff is also very good but best sealant I have used is Porsches own aerosol that comes with the car. Think you an but it though. What ever you do though mask up the car (big plastic dust sheet from B&Q does the trick) and do it in the dry with lots of curing time, it is like a ducks back after that! :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been using the Autoglym and in all honesty I'm really impressed. I've cleaned and protected the Soft top in December and so far it is still beading and sheeting water really well.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have stock of the Porsche Tecquipment Aerosol now !

Its £18.99.

Please see: http://www.morethanpolish.com/porsche-car-care.asp

TBH I personally dont rate the AG products, too much blows away in the wind and its apparently only silicone anyway, I use the Renovo stuff on a cabrio I look after and it still looks ace a year after first application.
cheers for them links, i've had quite a bit of kit from mtp and am always happy with the service.

Spoke to an Audi dealer on the off chance they may have a recommended product and the sales guy said and I quote

" you don't need any of them fancy cleaners just car wash and water and just for the record I wouldn't use anything other than a car wash and wax on the wheels either"

at that point I said "ok thanks for the help"..lol

·
Autoglym HQ
2,467 Posts
It didn't help that BOTH the bottles triggers broke before I had even finished coating the roof properly so I have two half bottles now with broken triggers!!
Sorry to hear that there was a trigger issue Dan, please PM us or contact Customer Care directly for some replacements. http://www.autoglym.com/contacts

Reactions: DLGWRX02

·
Autoglym HQ
2,467 Posts
We have stock of the Porsche Tecquipment Aerosol now !

Its £18.99.

Please see: http://www.morethanpolish.com/porsche-car-care.asp

TBH I personally dont rate the AG products, too much blows away in the wind and its apparently only silicone anyway, I use the Renovo stuff on a cabrio I look after and it still looks ace a year after first application.
To try and keep the forum factual for future reference, the Autoglym Fabric Hood Protector is not a silicone based product and neither is the cleaner element of the kit either.

If you'd like to check these type of things in the future, please ask us in a PM or post a question in the Autoglym section. We might not tell you what the exact actual ingredients are but we'll help where we can :thumb:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi guys, its een quite a while since I last posted, and quite a lot has changed
I've gone from this

to this

Had the car about 6 weeks now and loving it, but having never owned a soft top, what you you guys recommend to cleaning products and techniques?

I have hoovered it before every wash and for now the only thing I could find was locally was the Autoglym soft top cleaning kit!, which I've used, and to be honest, not that impressed! It didn't help that BOTH the bottles triggers broke before I had even finished coating the roof properly so I have two half bottles now with broken triggers!!

Any suggestions welcomed

Dan
Hi

Applied swissvax to my soft top this weekend

Drive up to London in the p'ing rain this afternoon. Got out and the roof was as dry as the waxed bodywork !!
Not rained on for the last few hours and the roof has totally beeded up

I'm amazed at delighted . Will need some persuading to use anything different

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.