Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys long time lurker but new poster so go easy on me.
Recently bought myself a low mileage 2007 Civic Type R (FN2) as a bit of a project/weekend car.
When I bought it the previous owner told me it had been given a ceramic coating at some point in it's life but not under his ownership. So I know it hasn't had one in 18 months or more.
The problem I have is that I plan to have some paintwork done, primarily on the rear bumper and assume I need to remove what remains of this coating.
I'm not sure how much of the coating remains, it sheets but not as well as I would expect. I'm just a weekend warrior when it comes to cleaning and detailing so have only a basic kit (Argos DA etc)
Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed please?
Cheers, Craig.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same applies really - he will sand it back ready for painting and your ceramics will be well gone. fear not.
Thanks for the advice. It will leave me needing to remove the coating from the rest of the car too, would my cheap Argos DA be sufficient for polishing it out or do I need to be looking at a better machine?

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It will leave me needing to remove the coating from the rest of the car too, would my cheap Argos DA be sufficient for polishing it out or do I need to be looking at a better machine?
I would think even a cheap DA would be able to remove a coating that was applied over 18 months ago. What the water behaviour like, any signs of any protection?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think even a cheap DA would be able to remove a coating that was applied over 18 months ago. What the water behaviour like, any signs of any protection?
It beads but not particularly well. The water doesn't sheet off too well from the bonnet under a hose and if I hadn't been told about the Ceramic coating I would never have known. I did take a video of how it behaves but was unable to transfer the file from my phone to my PC.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
To see if the coating is still present. It might be worth giving the car a deep clean.

Using a Iron Fall Out remover like Dragons Breath after washing will deep clean the pores of the ceramic coating. Rinse off and then wash with a standard car shampoo like Concentrated Car Wash. Once this is rinsed off if the paint work is beading up the ceramic will be intact.

Removing a Ceramic I've not done any work on that before so not sure how to tackle it.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayman S 2007 & Fiat Panda 4x4 Twin Air 2013
2,801 Posts
To see if the coating is still present. It might be worth giving the car a deep clean.

Using a Iron Fall Out remover like Dragons Breath after washing will deep clean the pores of the ceramic coating. Rinse off and then wash with a standard car shampoo like Concentrated Car Wash. Once this is rinsed off if the paint work is beading up the ceramic will be intact.

Removing a Ceramic I've not done any work on that before so not sure how to tackle it.
Hard water is much more likely to reduce the visual effects of a coating, especially on flat panels, so washing with a shampoo like Labocosmetica's Purifica would be the best way to see.

Removing a coating will be done by polishing, though it will gunk up pads so you will need to clean them frequently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have some AF Iron Out so will give that a try. I have held off from using any products on the car other than snow foam and normal shampoo as I honestly don't know enough about ceramics to know if I'm doing more harm than good. I think I need to educate myself a bit more. Thanks for the advice anyways hopefully trying that will show me whats what 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard water is much more likely to reduce the visual effects of a coating, especially on flat panels, so washing with a shampoo like Labocosmetica's Purifica would be the best way to see.

Removing a coating will be done by polishing, though it will gunk up pads so you will need to clean them frequently.
I think I do live in a hard water area.
I will be removing the coating as once the bumper is done I'd like the whole car to have the same level of protection. Looks like I'll have to pick up a few more pads as I only have a small selection to work with currently 👍

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
If you have AF Iron out you can try it. I can vouch Labo Purifica manages to liven up beading on one of our cars with Siramik Lusterous Plus Graphene Spray on it. Garage Therapy Zero Decon is also a good shout. But if your going to decon and machine polish it will most likely remove the coating so you can put whatever protection you want on afterwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have AF Iron out you can try it. I can vouch Labo Purifica manages to liven up beading on one of our cars with Siramik Lusterous Plus Graphene Spray on it. Garage Therapy Zero Decon is also a good shout. But if your going to decon and machine polish it will most likely remove the coating so you can put whatever protection you want on afterwards.
I'll have a look at them suggested products for sure. When the repair guy comes I'll speak to him about the coating, turns out he used to be an Autoglym rep so might be able to tell me how good or bad the coating is..
Big thanks again to everyone who replied (y)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

I've not notice hard water making an effect on ceramic coatings. I will look in to this to understand why it happens. Thanks for the comment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts