Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm realy confused with the cg hex logic range.

I've ordered from CYC some m105/205 and menz FF, black hole glaze and collinite insulator wax for a black BMW m6. Also ordered das6 pro and polishing pads.

According the cg site, the white,blue, black, and red are all suitable for glaze, wax and Sealent! (With the white also suitable for polish)

What pads do You recommend with each product?

(I also stupidly ordered 4" spot pads not realising they won't fit the supplied back plates. :wall:

·
Registered
232 Posts
The pads you got in order of firmness are:
White for light/medium polishing
Blue has some cut, for ultralight polishing or finishing
Black minimal cut if any for finishing
Red no cut for applying wax and/or sealants

The usage depends on whether your paint is hard, soft etc. the least cut is recommended for soft colors. Also,when you begin start with the softest combination of polish/ pad and if not enough move up gradually to a firmer pad or polish, remember gradually is the key word.

The meg 105 you mentioned is a heavy cut compound and folks usually use that for heavy correction, they'd probably use it to get rid of heay swirls and scratches hence probably using a heavier cut pad than your white, though on lighter defects I'd imagine you can use the white pad. The yellow pad is for sever cutting/correction then Orange for lighter cutting and then Green for heavy polishing, But you may or may not need any or all these pads depending on the condition of your paint.

As for the 4" pads you actually did a smart thing to buy them since they work great for smaller areas such as door jambs, bumpers, tiny areas etc.....and also for spot polishing a small area when you don't have to use a lager pad to use on a larger area..... Just get yourself a 3" or 3.5" backing plate so you can use those pads. Get a 3" backing if you intend to get 3" pads in the future otherwise get the 3.5" plate as they fit the 4" pads best.

Here are a couple of guides on the Hex pads and also DA guide by Dave KG:

Dave kG guide:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

Hex guide:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=284955

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the info. I got orange green white and black pads in the end. Might pick u a blue and some extra blacks as well as I guess I can't use the same black pad for glaze and wax ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank for the info. I got orange green white and black pads in the end. Might pick u a blue and some extra blacks as well as I guess I can't use the same black pad for glaze and wax ?
Like I said you may or may not need all these pads, it all depends on the severity of the defects on your paint, but it's best to have more pads on hand if money is no concern. Usually more number of pads are recommended for compounding and cutting 3-4 and less for finishing perhaps 2-3.

If you meant that you can use the same black pad used for polishing then for finishing as well, I'd say no it has to be a clean pad so it won't leave any residue on the surface. You can clean or wash and dry the pad that was used for polishing and then use it for finishing or better yet use clean finishing pads to begin with, that way you won't take a chance of leaving any residue on the paint not to mention that you save time while doing the work and then wash all the pads together.

As for the right pad for Wax or sealant, the chemical guys Hex pad is the red one. I chose to get the Lake country Gold pad (Gold not yellow) for that application as it's even lighter than CG Red and can be used for jewelling ( last stage finishing polish) or for applying waxes and sealants, having said that keep in mind that a lot of folks don't like to use the machine for that last coat of wax or sealant, they'd rather do the waxing or sealant by hand.

Read the guides I mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.