Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any good metal polishes that are safe to use on chrome? I have seen that there are various metal polishes around but they seem to be marketed towards polishing exhaust tips and the like. None specifically mention that they are safe for chrome.

I think I would need something with a bit of bite as I have some light scratches in the chrome on my car but nothing too drastic. And then would I need a finishing polish? Can I just use a normal light cut paint polish on it and machine polish it?

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought. Damn. Are there any products out there that could reduce/hide the light scratches or do the parts really just need re-chromed to look their best?

·
DW Supporter
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
As for me I find that non-abrasive paint cleansers like Dodo Juice Lime Prime or Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular e.g. do the job. Autosol also has a dedicated product called M1 Cleansing Polish for chrome-plated plastics part.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Is the car in question the one in your avatar? If so, and you're trying to polish old-school chromium plating, then the answer is yes. You don't want to use something that is overly aggressive, but a fine metal polish applied by hand with an old microfiber towel is ideal for this task.

My personal favorite product for polishing chrome is Happich Simichrome: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simichrome-Metal-Polish-Gram-1-76/dp/B0002YUQ4E. It's very mild, but will remove some light marring, and it leaves behind a stunning finish with a little bit of protection. It also works great on softer metals like brass, and as a finishing polish on raw aluminium. If the chrome is heavily pitted or deeply scratched, then re-chroming is the best solution, but light polishing can still make a big improvement.

Now if we're talking about modern chrome, then that's a different story. This stuff can be far more delicate than what I have typically found on older vehicles, and I would use something like Car-Lack68 NSC or Werkstat Prime if in doubt. These products are barely abrasive, so they won't really do much for the scratches, but they will help to remove some oxidation and brighten up the trim.

Hopefully this helps, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! :)

Steampunk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Steampunk for that reply. I will be ordering a tube of that polish today! It is the car in my avatar that I will be working on. It's mostly light scratches on the bumpers from poor washing technique in the past, no pitting or rust evident (yet).

Can't wait to get home to try all my new goodies out!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Chrome Polish

Designed to work exceptionally well on all chrome, Mothers® Chrome Polish will give you the crisp sparkle you want. Better yet, this polish protects your chrome with advanced polymers, resisting smudges and fingerprints. Use our Chrome Polish on your wheels, bumpers, mirrors, headlight bezels and chrome accessories. It's safe to use on black chrome and works great on glass. If you want your chrome to gleam with the brightest, this is it.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thanks Steampunk for that reply. I will be ordering a tube of that polish today! It is the car in my avatar that I will be working on. It's mostly light scratches on the bumpers from poor washing technique in the past, no pitting or rust evident (yet).

Can't wait to get home to try all my new goodies out!
No problem... If you have any more questions, please feel free to send me a PM. I'm rather fond of Alfa Romeo spiders, and hope that the Simichrome works well for you... :)

Steampunk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have many parts chrome plated on my golf 78', wheels and engine etc. Been using Belgom chrome and Zeppelin chrome polish. I'm welcome to try out different products if recommended, I have some Poorboy's Black Hole on the shelf, need to try that out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.