Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to claim on my insurance for a replacement windscreen ( full of small stone chips ) would it have a drastic effect on my following years premium, as in would it go up by a significant amount because I would be classed as a risk because I had made a claim?

Andy...:)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Normally you just goto the windscreen company and they sort it, and jsut pay a small fee, about £50 depending on your insurer. AFAIK that doesn't have any knock on effect.

·
DW Forum Sponsor
6,765 Posts
Check with your own Insurer, the cover can vary.

Generally speaking, provided you have windscreen cover under your policy (normally only given with Comprehensive cover), a claim does not affect NCB and all you need to pay is the glass excess (usually £50 to £100). The amount you can claim can be restricted in some instances, especially if you use someone other than the insurer's approved repairer.

Some "budget" policies do not cover windscreens or have very limited cover, so always check your policy cover before claiming.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys, it's very much appreciated :thumb:

I have Fully Comp insurance with Protected No Claims and the windscreen excess is £65, so just to be on the safe side I'll give my insurer a call just to clarify I'm not going to get stung if I make a claim on the windscreen.

Andy...:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you're gonna phone your insurance company to check, you may as well go through with claiming from them. Because as soon as you even enquire, they will most likely mark it down as the same as a claim would when evaluating your future risk even if you don't go ahead and claim... ie - This is a guy who drives into lots of stones, he is high risk now we know this.

·
Registered
11,623 Posts
Would an insurance company pay to have a screen changed that only has small chips?

Wouldn't it need to be unsafe before they would?

I know you just can't go to any glass company. Most insurers have their own specified company and if you go elsewhere, their contribution to the screen is small

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
is it that you just want a new one or have been told? dont know how these things work can you just decide one day i'd like a new windscreen? guessing someone has to say it needs replacing for the insurers to give teh go ahead?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Chips will be repaired or if not possible then the windscreen will be replaced. This would be the decision of the windscreen company ultimately to say they cannot repair the chips but I am sure you can apply pressure to a guy when he is standing in front of you to come to the decision that he wants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.