Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've been, I'm sure you'll agree that there are some lovely motors there this year, but what were your thoughts on the paint finishes on many of the cars there?

I was quite frankly shocked at how bad some of the swirls, marring and micro marring were....... If I'm being hyper critical here, please tell me to wind my neck in :)

On the plus side, it's been a great day... One of my favourite stands had to be the Ford Fiesta Supersports.

·
DW Supporter
6,147 Posts
Yes, having just got home from there Id say that 95% of the car's would benefit from some paint correction to varying degrees:buffer:

I did go there really trying to just wander about & not look closely at the paint but some were so bad that the 'Detailers eye' came to the fore:eek:

We're obviously in the minority as both the exhibitors and visitors alike think they are looking at pristine A1 examples:car:

Excluding the Megs display cars, there were 2 cars which stood out for having defect free paintwork that I happened to stumble upon - a chameleon TVR 350T & a pearlescent red De Tomaso Pantera.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, having just got home from there Id say that 95% of the car's would benefit from some paint correction to varying degrees:buffer:

I did go there really trying to just wander about & not look closely at the paint but some were so bad that the 'Detailers eye' came to the fore:eek:

We're obviously in the minority as both the exhibitors and visitors alike think they are looking at pristine A1 examples:car:

Excluding the Megs display cars, there were 2 cars which stood out for having defect free paintwork that I happened to stumble upon - a chameleon TVR 350T & a pearlescent red De Tomaso Pantera.
I nearly wrote '90%' as my number for the percentage of cars there today that would benefit from some kind of paint correction, and deleted it as I thought I was being unfair. I feel better now you have come in it 95%!!

I missed the TVR, but the De Tomaso Pantera was sweet. I took a couple of pics of the Pantera and will try and post some tomorrow when I have more time.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i thought the same! some cars looked like they had been cleaned with brillo pads!

obviously some would have thin paint and a machine polish possibly could make it worse

i have about 300+ photos to share may put them on here soon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought the same! some cars looked like they had been cleaned with brillo pads!

obviously some would have thin paint and a machine polish possibly could make it worse

i have about 300+ photos to share may put them on here soon
There was a beautiful E-Type Jag there in the 'For Sale' hall and :doublesho I could not believe the finish. Shocking isn't even close. The paint I'm sure was nice underneath all of the 'Brillo pad' action, but a couple of days with some :buffer: action would have put another £10k on the price... (Maybe)....

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
There was a beautiful E-Type Jag there in the 'For Sale' hall and :doublesho I could not believe the finish. Shocking isn't even close. The paint I'm sure was nice underneath all of the 'Brillo pad' action, but a couple of days with some :buffer: action would have put another £10k on the price... (Maybe)....
I didnt look at any e-types yesterday, from a distance they looked great lol. The worst paint i saw was on the Lancia beta, think a few cats had lived on the bonnet lol

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry to go off topic a bit but I went to a Classic Car Auction not so long ago and was shocked at the state of the cars , think some were painted with Hammerite then scrubbed with scotchbright for good measure .
Folk were buying them for good money :wall:

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just been today and I made the same comments. I was quite shocked at the state of the paintwork. Agree with comment above about 30yr old paint being dodgy to machine but the number that had resprays and were swirled to death. Can't understand spending thousands restoring them to then spoil the look by ruining the paint. Have to say it maddened the cars on the Meguiars stand really look good though!!
Autofinesse stand too could have done with staff who smiled and left the IPad alone for a bit.
Excellent day had though, really enjoyed it.

·
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man
4,549 Posts
Every show I have ever attended has shocked me by the state of the cars..
As said above, old car and old boys, old skool need some slack cut :)..

Go to some of the newer car shows, and you will be equally shocked, some of the states I have seen win show and shine :)..

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I was there for over 2 days and tried to take my detailers hat off...

The cars on the Megs stand were amazing, but the black XK had a complete resto, compare that to the lime green Porsche 914 next to it (Porsche Club Concours winner) which is driven all over Europe. Most of these cars are driven a lot - I follow a GT40 home and only 3 of the Ferraris for example were trailered up, one is not road legal, the other not taxed, the other one worth £1.5m.

The de Tomaso looked brilliant but this is a car show, not Waxstock.

If you have time to talk to some of the owners they are a great bunch - chap with a the cream Golfers Coupe on Classic American stand was a card, 1937 Volvo chap a Doctor and real old school Volvo enthusiast, lovely 1937 SS Jag 1.5 was delightful and teh old boy had restored several. A great show, love it too ! Got some pics which I may upload.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Most of the cars I didn't mind only as I was on our company's stand (Figaro shop) hall 19. And in all honesty they had swirls. Only thing that got to me was a cleaning company, as I felt pressured in to buying there products and soon as they saw I worked in a bodyshop and also a mechanic, they seemed to turn there nose up and have a little joke. To me it came across unprofessional. On the other hand, went to AF stand and straight quick surface, spot on!!

·
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man
4,549 Posts
Obviously not been to many shows. Most car shows, I would say around 90% need work. Most people don't think like us, so they either don't know any difference or just don't care :)..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Were you doing rides for the Sporting Bears ?

If so I went out with you on the Sunday - totally awesome ride :thumb:
No, my car was in the static display on the Lancia stand.....

Reference the state of the cars. I think the majority are more interested in the history of the marques/models and the oily bits rather than ultimate paint finish and shine. People tend to think mine is immaculate where as I see every tiny fault... take all sorts I suppose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.