Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Got a chance to try out the clay cloth today.

On a 4 year old Honda Civic. Its never been clayed before.

Snow foamed, washed, IronX,
I put the cloth in a bucket with some soapy water.
I sprayed the car panel with 1:21 mix of ONR.

Then I folded the clay cloth in 4, and started rubbing it left to right.
I heard the slightly rough noise, but it quickly vanished. This surprised me as I though it would take a lot of passes before this happened ?
I folded the cloth to a new side and did a few more passes.
I thought this was all good at this point.

washed off the car. Pat dried with towel.

The finish a got was a little strange though.

Its looks like someone has wetsanded the car, just a little.
The paint, as normal, is not perfectly flat, and it looks like the clay cloth has rubbed the peaks of the paint making them dull, but leaving the dips of the paint. Not sure of any of this description makes sense. Unfortunately I have yet to get a good pic.
Basically it looks like its been wetsanded with a few passes. not enough to flatten the paint, and not been polished afterwards.

Did i do something wrong? should I have rubbed more ? I'm guessing it would need a polish to shine things up again?

Any advice, comments, very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

·
king of the flexonian
12,479 Posts
Hi,

I heard the slightly rough noise, but it quickly vanished. This surprised me as I though it would take a lot of passes before this happened ?

The paint, as normal, is not perfectly flat, and it looks like the clay cloth has rubbed the peaks of the paint making them dull, but leaving the dips of the paint. Not sure of any of this description makes sense. Unfortunately I have yet to get a good pic.
Basically it looks like its been wetsanded with a few passes. not enough to flatten the paint, and not been polished afterwards.

Did i do something wrong? should I have rubbed more ? I'm guessing it would need a polish to shine things up again?

Thanks,
Keith
Its difficult to say without watching you obviously, but let me put your mind at ease about the high spots. I have had this on more than one car myself, usually very peely cars that are quite dull before claying. The description of it looking sanded is bang on. I also found that it was considerably worse with a clay bar. So this isn't your fault imo. A very light paint cleanse or hand polish will sort it double time

As for technique, if you are using the onr method then i still recommend a bucket of warm soapy water to drop the cloth into after a panel and brush the surface off with your hands to flush the contaminants off. You won't see the contaminants but it will aid your quest for sure

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Honda Paint is normally very soft at best of times to much pressure of a clay cloth or clay could cause lots of marring which is what you could be seeing not enough lube to much pressure while using clay will cause this plus with a full decon as you have done this would of pulled all the old polish etc out showing a true finish on your car.

A good hand polish might be enough or a run over with a DA.

I have not used ONR as a lube a prefer a nice soapy mix with lots of water clean clay cloth of in bucket or with hose pipe as mentioned every few passes or very least per panel and you don't need pressure just glide the cloth over the surface once the noise has gone couple of more passes is normally enough.

·
king of the flexonian
12,479 Posts
With something as harsh as a clay cloth may be best to use a dedicated clay lube type product too
I'm happy for people to play around, but I strongly recommend against this. The cloths aren't harsh by nature, given the surface area, but I do find standard clay lubes interfere with the "sticky ness" of the membrane, resulting in a bit of a mess when I've done it. BUT I've only tried a couple of them, so in all fairness there may be one that works very well indeed. But from the results so far, stick with slippy shampoo in a bucket, or onr

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Mines working just fime now.
My first go was similar to the op.
I could see where the high spots on my orange peel had been scuffed up a bit.
After speaking with matt I tried again with more shampoo in the bucket than I last used and this time was carefull not to apply too much pressure on the cloth ( easy to apply too much if u get carried away).
This time I had no marring or whatever it was.
A month or so ago I clayed a solid white mitsibushi bonnet with bilkt hamber soft clay, and when finished it really did look like id wetsanded the lot.
So I think paint hardness really plays a part.
Love my cloth, tell everyone I know about how it tranforms the decontaminating stage.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have used my Artdeshine cloth on a Mitsubishi Outlander and a BMW 1. In both cases I used ONR in the ratios recommended by Lowiepete.

I have not seen any marring and at times I spent a good while getting a panel clean/silent.

I suppose similar to using a normal clay I just keep repeatedly dipping the cloth in the bucket every few strokes to keep it soaking wet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

I did a quick pass over the windows first, but maybe this was a little rushed.
- Next time I use the cloth, i'll spend a little more time on the windows first to make sure is ready for the paint.

I put the cloth in some soapy water first, but only for a few minutes.
- Next time i'll use warm soapy water, and let it soak a little longer first.

I may have applied a little too much pressure.
- Next time i'll go easier.. think i was getting a little over excited with it!

The ONR did not feel super slick I guess, so next time, I think i'll use something more soapy/slick, and dip it in the soapy water more often.

I have some Gtechniq P1 that i've not used yet, and one of their tri-foam hand pads, so from the sounds of things, this should probably bring the paint back up ? unfortunately I have no DA :(

Thanks again everyone!

Keith.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm happy for people to play around, but I strongly recommend against this. The cloths aren't harsh by nature, given the surface area, but I do find standard clay lubes interfere with the "sticky ness" of the membrane, resulting in a bit of a mess when I've done it. BUT I've only tried a couple of them, so in all fairness there may be one that works very well indeed. But from the results so far, stick with slippy shampoo in a bucket, or onr
Fair enough - just an assumption tbh as I haven't tried one as of yet

·
king of the flexonian
12,479 Posts
I have just got one of these. Quick question , do I need to remove any wax before I clay the car?
No. Best thing is to treat t like clay. At the end of the day the less you touch your car the better. So if you wash it with a strong shampoo, use a de tar product, then clay, it has less work to do thus less chance of causing damage. The cloth itself will help to kill the wax

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Keith
Had exactly the same issue on my civic, but its a butter soft paint so no surprises here, any clay will do the same, just use any light polish or AIO and it will sort it out, I've used Britemax AIO which is all I use to polish Honda :thumb:

·
I'm not addicted...I'm NOT!
2,154 Posts
When using the ADS clay cloth, it's the very first stroke or two where the
most care must be taken. I would certainly allow the cloth to soak well in
an ONR solution for several minutes before use and also ensure that you
have a fairly strong solution in your spray bottle. In the video I did, I was
using fairly soft Cumbrian water, within the 32:1 spray bottle and 2 capfuls
in the bucket with around 4 litres of water.

In a hard water area, it might be better to go to slightly stronger dilutions in
both bucket and spray - say an extra capful in both receptacles. There are
no concerns with streaking like with a straight ONR clean. Also, it's a good
idea to continue practicing your technique on the glass, say on the back
window, beyond its initial clean. Start by working from side to side rather than
up and down. It's pretty vital that you push/pull the cloth from its edges
without _any_ added pressure from above. The weight of the cloth once fully
soaked is plenty enough.

A few people have commented upon how quickly they can clay-cloth a car.
Ignore that direction and instead relax, take your time and above all enjoy
the physical process. No-one will hand you an award for breaking a timing
record! As mentioned, start very slowly ensuring, as you do with clay, that
your work area is always liberally lubricated. That way, you should enjoy
results that will save a load of follow-on work.

One other thought. With very soft paint, even folding the cloth into 4 might
not be enough! It may be better to fold into 6 - two folds in one direction
and one fold in the other. This may be better for anyone with smaller hands
too. Even folding to that extent still gives you much bigger coverage at
once than a clay bar, so it won't reduce your productivity too much.

Regards,
Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.