Detailing World Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you lot use to clean/polish black exhaust tips?
I'm unsure how they're finished, so not sure if better to use just some polish or a metal polish?

I'd use to some 0000 steel wool and some megs metal polish/autosol if cleaning normal exhaust, but not sure if this would remove the black, or is just the same as a normal chromed exhaust with some black thrown in?

BMW M3 E92 is the car, not sure if finishes on other cars are the same so thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I used to have a black finish pipe on my 1 Coupe, and I used the Britemax twins on it with excellent results. Applied using an MF pad and did both stages, lasted for ages :thumb:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant, thanks for that.
I have some megs metal polish, do you think that would be okay to use first? See if they will clean up, then if not get the twins.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What do you lot use to clean/polish black exhaust tips?
I'm unsure how they're finished, so not sure if better to use just some polish or a metal polish?

I'd use to some 0000 steel wool and some megs metal polish/autosol if cleaning normal exhaust, but not sure if this would remove the black, or is just the same as a normal chromed exhaust with some black thrown in?

BMW M3 E92 is the car, not sure if finishes on other cars are the same so thought I'd mention it.
Are they the OEM black exhaust tips you get with the LE500 cars?

If so, the finish is black chrome.

Not sure if you can treat it like normal chrome but I don't see why not

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yer looks like they're the same as the Editions.

I thought they were chrome of some sort, but of course didn't want to start polishing only to find out that not only was I removing carbon, but also the finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.